HF Habs: A thread for the old fart that we are, 50 years old and counting, younger guy's feel free to chip in too

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
A lot character in game then. No helmets, goalies no mask. It was tough game
And most cars didn’t have seat belts back then. And the lack of helmets resulted in Masterson’s death on the ice and the hundreds of athletes who have now died of CTE due to concussions.

‘Tough’ hockey doesn’t mean better hockey.

Reactions: windycity

Player 61

#Winning
Aug 4, 2007
West Island
@50 I never in my life seen a Montreal Rebuild,(Hope never again in future) Were a re-tooll City. McDavids-Crosby's come every 20 years. Even Bedard got Injured. He's talented but a small Guy!

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
And most cars didn’t have seat belts back then. And the lack of helmets resulted in Masterson’s death on the ice and the hundreds of athletes who have now died of CTE due to concussions.

Look who it is. An impressive carrier named after you became aware not too too long ago of a pretty decent stretch of beach as well, not as nice as the adjacent Eisenhauer one but a heck of a lot easier to access than my great gramps mountain peak I can tell ya. I guess some admirals get all the glory, and some get ................?............ rock.:facepalm:

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
I remember in '84 when they went 35-40.... everyone was down...
But it was a team on the cusp of being a contender with a host of young and up and coming stars Richer, Lemieux, Chelios, Corson, Roy, Naslund, Smith, etc. who were about to make their mark on the game.

Our current team doesn’t have anything close to that level of promise or young talent.

Last edited:

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
Look who it is. An impressive carrier named after you became aware not too too long ago of a pretty decent stretch of beach as well, not as nice as the adjacent Eisenhauer one but a heck of a lot easier to access than my great gramps mountain peak I can tell ya. I guess some admirals get all the glory, and some get ................?............ rock.:facepalm:
Don't know quite what your point is, but for the record, Dwight D. Eisenhower was the 34th president of the U.S. and a five star general in the U.S. Army. In recognition of his great service to his country ,the second of ten Nimitz - class nuclear - powered aircraft carriers was named the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower (CVN-69) which is currently still in service with the United States Navy. There may be other places named in this great man's honour.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
@50 I never in my life seen a Montreal Rebuild,(Hope never again in future) Were a re-tooll City. McDavids-Crosby's come every 20 years. Even Bedard got Injured. He's talented but a small Guy!
I wish we saw a rebuild in the mid to late 90s... :laugh: Might've actually won a cup by now.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

I think the rebuild is just unavoidable now.

Back in the sam pollock era, he could move some decent vets to secure high draft picks. Other organizations were shortsighted and desperate enough to make such moves.

I mean, the thing that never really gets talked about in the 70s is the number of first round picks that the Habs had compiled. If one didn't know any better, they would think the Habs were a perennial basement team in that decade.

Fast forward to today, organizations are holding on to their lottery picks like gold, and the cap ensures that you have a limited window to keep your guys together.

Hockey is more cyclic from a compeitive standpoint than ever before, and everyone meets that fork in the road where they will have to go through pain again. It's just the reality.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

I liked the game better back then more than now. More character in it. No helmets etc... Guy Lafleur skating down the ice hair flowing. Great broadcasting Danny Gallivan, Foster Hewitt, etc... Every rink had its own identity. Pipe organ in Chicago, Boston Garden right over the ice.

Could build a great team. All teams had their stars. Bobby Orr, Espo in Boston. Bobby Hull, Glenn Hall in Chicago. Keon, Johnny Bower, Horton in Toronto. Rangers with Ratelle, Gilbert Park, Howe, Devecchio in Detroit. It was great teams against good teams.

Today every team all the same. Rebuild for 10 years, bad clubs, draft high. Be good for 10 years. Then do it all over again. Chicago, Tampa, LA, Pittsburgh they all built same way.

Last edited:
Reactions: HabbyGuy

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I liked the game better back then more than now. More character in it. No helmets etc... Guy Lafleur skating down the ice hair flowing. Great broadcasting Danny Gallivan, Foster Hewitt, etc... Every rink had its own identity. Pipe organ in Chicago, Boston Garden right on the ice.

Could build a great team. All teams had their stars. Bobby Orr, Espo in Boston. Bobby Hull, Glenn Hall in Chicago. Keon, Johnny Bower, Horton in Toronto. Rangers with Estelle, Gilbert Park, Howe, Devecchio in Detroit. It was great teams against good teams.

Today every team all the same. Rebuild for 10 years, bad clubs, draft high. Be good for 10 years. Then do it all over again. Chicago, Tampa, LA, Pittsburgh they all built same way.
That was a fun time, to be a Habs fan..............that said, the kids now are better athletes no question.
There used to be one Sam Pollock, now everyone tries to be Sam Pollock.....

The league first and foremost, the owners second, wanted a cap and parity..............this is where we are.
The teams have all been put on a level playing field of sorts..............until we hear more about warm climates and no taxes......the agents drive that bus.

Habs are turning a corner, and we can only hope to find some success ala Chicago, Tampa, LA and Pittsburgh....

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
Never thought this thread would last that long on page 1, thanks guy's for sharing

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I liked the game better back then more than now. More character in it. No helmets etc... Guy Lafleur skating down the ice hair flowing. Great broadcasting Danny Gallivan, Foster Hewitt, etc... Every rink had its own identity. Pipe organ in Chicago, Boston Garden right over the ice.

Could build a great team. All teams had their stars. Bobby Orr, Espo in Boston. Bobby Hull, Glenn Hall in Chicago. Keon, Johnny Bower, Horton in Toronto. Rangers with Ratelle, Gilbert Park, Howe, Devecchio in Detroit. It was great teams against good teams.

I grew up in the 90s where we saw alot of historic rinks come down. The Boston garden, Chicago stadium, Montreal forum, and Maple leaf gardens all went out of commission in this decade.

Even though I was only a kid, those rinks still felt different. Boston garden was a grungy sandbox, and I'll never forget the noise in Chicago, the organ, and the stairs that the players had to climb before jumping on the ice.

Ray Ferraro has always said the forum was his favourite. Unlike the other old rinks, he said the forum was a shrine, and they actually treated it like one. It was clean and tidy while the other original 6 rinks mentioned were dirty and run down.

Reactions: HabbyGuy

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I grew up in the 90s where we saw alot of historic rinks come down. The Boston garden, Chicago stadium, Montreal forum, and Maple leaf gardens all went out of commission in this decade.

Even though I was only a kid, those rinks still felt different. Boston garden was a grungy sandbox, and I'll never forget the noise in Chicago, the organ, and the stairs that the players had to climb before jumping on the ice.

Ray Ferraro has always said the forum was his favourite. Unlike the other old rinks, he said the forum was a shrine, and they actually treated it like one. It was clean and tidy while the other original 6 rinks mentioned were dirty and run down.
I grew up in '70s. Mostly, little late '60s early '80s. Character in the game back then. I remember being on pins and needles during any of the Russian series. From '72 to '84. Even '87.

habdynasty

May 26, 2008
The day I was born the habs beat the North stars 6-3. Cournoyer, Beliveau, Ferguson, H Richard and Provost scored.

ya I’m old.​

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Don't know quite what your point is, but for the record, Dwight D. Eisenhower was the 34th president of the U.S. and a five star general in the U.S. Army. In recognition of his great service to his country ,the second of ten Nimitz - class nuclear - powered aircraft carriers was named the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower (CVN-69) which is currently still in service with the United States Navy. There may be other places named in this great man's honour.
Well it's actually a little funny to me as you never know when a memory resurfaces, in some cases a scent, a song a particular taste and in this case an uncommon name. And you can chalk all that up to boredom as I set aside time to observe the TDL and reading threads and flopping all over the place and came across your name, BAM! triggered recent events. It's as simple as that. We had been to the beach not that long ago and there is also a hiway named after Nimitz BTW. We had been visiting family and friends and also discussed some historical events pertinent to the area and date at the time. Many things are named after key figures in history for their accomplishments, rightfully so. It was simply an observation seeing as my great gramps ( Admiral of the fleet and also the first governor general of the VOC ) only got the mountain, as far as we know considering all his accomplishments. We, the mrs and I feel as if we've come full-circle in a roundabout way with our union almost predestined. Anyways, enough blather and back to the boards ramblings and idiosyncrasies and see what this Montreal organization is and will be up to come Draft day and Free agency frenzy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad