HF Habs: A thread for the old fart that we are, 50 years old and counting, younger guy's feel free to chip in too

habbubba

Jan 19, 2024
Danny was the greatest of all time. He had a way of making the most boring game an interesting one to watch. Cannonading drive, puck lodged in his paraphernalia, Scintillating save and so many more. I get goosebumps as the memories of listening to him come flooding back. Growing up in rural NFLD we didn't have the luxury of attending games at the Forum but Danny made me feel as if I was sitting in the crowd. My entire family loved him and he was every bit as important to us as the team on the ice.
That was over 40 years ago when Gallivan called it quits, good memory. Back when hockey was hockey before the sellout and became too commercial and corporate. When seeing vintage hockey people will say it was much slower, much is a stretch but one thing is also obvious, more talent and less diluted and players had their head up noticeably. There was no mercy to players back then and the little ones would not be spared, unlike in today's hockey.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
1989… I was an active military member stationed in a conflict. Our home was a giant barge converted into a makeshift barracks. I stepped out of the head after taking a glorious 30 minute Hollywood. I heard French coming from the TV lounge. As I passed and looked at the TV? Russ Courtnall was absolutely flying down the ice with the puck. I stood there for a couple of minutes and decided to watch the rest of the game in my boxers and shower shoes. I was hooked! Had no idea what the commentators were saying but understood the passion and authenticity in their voices.
Fantastic memory.

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
My first real memory of the Habs was the Good Friday Massacre, although I am sure I watched some games before that, it just left a lasting impression lol
My 1st memory of the Habs was 68 final and the red white and blue swarm of the Habs on the great Glen Hall, he was absolutely marvelous that series!!!

1989… I was an active military member stationed in a conflict. Our home was a giant barge converted into a makeshift barracks. I stepped out of the head after taking a glorious 30 minute Hollywood. I heard French coming from the TV lounge. As I passed and looked at the TV? Russ Courtnall was absolutely flying down the ice with the puck. I stood there for a couple of minutes and decided to watch the rest of the game in my boxers and shower shoes. I was hooked! Had no idea what the commentators were saying but understood the passion and authenticity in their voices.
Fantastic memory.
Thank you for your service!

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
That was over 40 years ago when Gallivan called it quits, good memory. Back when hockey was hockey before the sellout and became too commercial and corporate. When seeing vintage hockey people will say it was much slower, much is a stretch but one thing is also obvious, more talent and less diluted and players had their head up noticeably. There was no mercy to players back then and the little ones would not be spared, unlike in today's hockey.

Loved that Cup............mainly because we won in Boston.......................classy Gerry Cheevers eh.
It was however, a nice gesture of a few of their players to congratulate Bowman.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002

As someone who went to his first NHL game in the 1950s and who has closely watched all the great stars from Howe/Richard to Orr /Esposito/ to Perreault / Lafleur to Gretzky / Coffey to Lemieux/ Jagr to Crosby / Ovechkin and now McDavid / MacKinnon, I can say conclusively that the players of today are, in general, far, far superior to their predecessors.. They’re bigger, stronger, faster and in better condition. They are simply better athletes. That point was first driven home in the 1972 Summit Series, when the Russian professional athletes almost beat our Professional hockey players. The game today is played at a much higher level and a greater pace. Just take a look at Montreal’s defence in the mid-1960’s Ted Harris, Terry Harper, J.C. Tremblay, Jean Guy Talbot etc. none of them could crack any current NHL roster: they would be too slow..

You mention dilution, I mention globalization. In the late 1960s, there were only a handful of Americans playing in the NHL with no Russians or other Europeans playing. There is far more talent available now. Try to picture the Canadiens, or any other NHL team, without their American and European players. For Montreal, that would mean no Caufield, Slafkovsky, Dvorak, Armia, White, Ylonen, Primeau, Struble or Harris currently on the team and no Hutson, Reinbacher, Mesar, Farrell, Mysak, Heineman, Kapanen, Tuch, Fowler or Engstrom on the horizon. That’s more ‘foreign’ players than played in the entire NHL in the late 1960s.

Jean Beliveau was, and will remain my favourite NHL player. But I am realistic about his comparative skill level to today's stars. I remember during a recent interview when the great Orr was asked to compare his skating to McDavid's, he just shook his head and smiled knowingly.

As I have previously noted: old hockey heroes are like old girlfriends, they tend to look better with the passage of time.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
This thread is a real eye-opener!

There is a poster in this thread that I have assumed, for the last couple of years, was a kid, like under 15-years old.

Turns out I was wrong by a half century or so!

Jul 6, 2016
Habs have won 17 of their 24 Cups since I am born. But none since I was 37 !!!! It seems since years now that this org just want to fill its arena, sell ads, and pile up cash. The on ice product is desperately awful since the mid 1990's (Nordiques moved to Col, Roy traded) . Very few little bright spots here and there. Of course, younger generations have never seen them win a Cup, never seen what a well constructed Habs team might look like. I feel sorry for you.

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
This thread is a real eye-opener!

There is a poster in this thread that I have assumed, for the last couple of years, was a kid, like under 15-years old.

Turns out I was wrong by a half century or so!

Nice thread tho, congrats to the one who tought of it

:laugh::laugh:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
As someone who went to his first NHL game in the 1950s and who has closely watched all the great stars from Howe/Richard to Orr /Esposito/ to Perreault / Lafleur to Gretzky / Coffey to Lemieux/ Jagr to Crosby / Ovechkin and now McDavid / MacKinnon, I can say conclusively that the players of today are, in general, far, far superior to their predecessors.. They’re bigger, stronger, faster and in better condition. They are simply better athletes. That point was first driven home in the 1972 Summit Series, when the Russian professional athletes almost beat our Professional hockey players. The game today is played at a much higher level and a greater pace. Just take a look at Montreal’s defence in the mid-1960’s Ted Harris, Terry Harper, J.C. Tremblay, Jean Guy Talbot etc. none of them could crack any current NHL roster: they would be too slow..

You mention dilution, I mention globalization. In the late 1960s, there were only a handful of Americans playing in the NHL with no Russians or other Europeans playing. There is far more talent available now. Try to picture the Canadiens, or any other NHL team, without their American and European players. For Montreal, that would mean no Caufield, Slafkovsky, Dvorak, Armia, White, Ylonen, Primeau, Struble or Harris currently on the team and no Hutson, Reinbacher, Mesar, Farrell, Mysak, Heineman, Kapanen, Tuch, Fowler or Engstrom on the horizon. That’s more ‘foreign’ players than played in the entire NHL in the late 1960s.

Jean Beliveau was, and will remain my favourite NHL player. But I am realistic about his comparative skill level to today's stars. I remember during a recent interview when the great Orr was asked to compare his skating to McDavid's, he just shook his head and smiled knowingly.

As I have previously noted: old hockey heroes are like old girlfriends, they tend to look better with the passage of time.
I think if we had Orr and Hull that series it wouldn't been close. Because they were two best players

Reactions: Cournoyer12

Matteus

May 11, 2009
My oldest hockey memory is watching the Leafs beat the Habs in the '67 finals. I was just a kid and didn't really understand much about the game but I recall being very disappointed my Habs had lost.
I remember seeing Béliveau's 500th goal on TV against the North Stars, but I really started watching the game with awareness during the '71 playoffs: the big upset against the Bruins and the hard-fought finals against the Hawks.
Saw Lafleur once at the Colisée during his last year in junior hockey. That's as far back as it goes for me.

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
My oldest hockey memory is watching the Leafs beat the Habs in the '67 finals. I was just a kid and didn't really understand much about the game but I recall being very disappointed my Habs had lost.
I remember seeing Béliveau's 500th goal on TV against the North Stars, but I really started watching the game with awareness during the '71 playoffs: the big upset against the Bruins and the hard-fought finals against the Hawks.
Saw Lafleur once at the Colisée during his last year in junior hockey. That's as far back as it goes for me.

I was 6 when they lost against the Leafs .......can't remember, so i'm happy to say

Never saw a leafs team win the stanley cup in my ol'life

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

It'a crazy that's there's no consistency to the location of the CH logo within the blue stripe. Look at Cournoyer's sweater, Lemaire's and Lapointe's. The CH is way high in the stripe, but then look at the player right behind Savard, and his logo is the proper placement.

Not really, if you put aside Vezina, Durnham, Plante, Dryden, Roy and Price, you get stuck with Vachon.

It's Durnan.

You left out Tony Esposito, Jose Theodore, Georges Hainsworth and Gump Worsley.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Not really, if you put aside Vezina, Durnham, Plante, Dryden, Roy and Price, you get stuck with Vachon.
Just my opinion but if someone compares all teams the Habs list still comes out on top. Three Hart trophy winners alone is tops.

Jul 6, 2016
It'a crazy that's there's no consistency to the location of the CH logo within the blue stripe. Look at Cournoyer's sweater, Lemaire's and Lapointe's. The CH is way high in the stripe, but then look at the player right behind Savard, and his logo is the proper placement.

It's Durnan.

You left out Tony Esposito, Jose Theodore, Georges Hainsworth and Gump Worsley.
And Vachon became a star with LA.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
And Vachon became a star with LA.
Team Canada got stuck with Rogie in the 1976 Canada Cup. He only lost one game 1-0.
With all the hall of famers on that team, it was Vachon who was named team MVP.

Last edited:
Reactions: Habs10Habs and 1909

Hansman

Mar 18, 2013
Wild West
Mar
Great thread! God I miss those days.

[Verse 1]
Once upon a time there was a tavern (Forum)
Where we used to raise a glass (cup) or two
Remember how we laughed away the hours
Think of all the great things we would do

[Chorus]
Those were the days, my friend
We thought they'd never end
We'd sing and dance forever and a day
We'd live the life we choose
We'd fight and never lose
For we were young and sure to have our way
La la la la...

[Verse 2]