HF Habs: A thread for the old fart that we are, 50 years old and counting, younger guy's feel free to chip in too

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
Just for the fun of remembering,

My best memory as a Habs fan and probably why i'm a die hard Habs fan is that game played on April 8 1971

Penalty Summary​

3rd Period
2nd Period
1st Period
07:27MTLMarc TardifFighting5 min
07:27BOSDon AwreyFighting5 min
07:27BOSTed GreenMisconduct10 min
07:27BOSTed GreenElbowing2 min
08:14MTLPhil RobertoHolding2 min
01:06MTLTerry HarperHooking2 min
07:42MTLClaude LaroseHigh sticking2 min
07:42BOSDon AwreyHigh sticking2 min
09:59BOSBobby OrrHigh sticking2 min
15:33BOSAce BaileyDelay of game2 min
15:33MTLPhil RobertoRoughing2 min
15:33BOSDerek SandersonRoughing2 min
20:00BOSAce BaileyMisconduct10 min
02:17BOSPhil EspositoCross checking2 min
08:34BOSWayne CashmanHigh sticking2 min
08:34MTLFrank MahovlichHigh sticking2 min
19:14MTLJean BéliveauSlashing2 min
19:14BOSDerek SandersonSlashing2 min
19:47MTLTerry HarperHolding

I was 10 years old and dont remember if i was permitted to watch the first period on TV but what i do clearly remember is listening to it in my bed with a little transistor radio, Boston where leading 5-1 and then it all started

Would be fun if some of you old bastard care to join and share some of your most liked moments being a Habs fan

PS to MOD First time i create a thread so feel free to close it if you think it as no business to be created in the first place....all good

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
My first true memory of the Habs was that playoff series against the North Stars in.... 1980 I guess? We lost in 7 games and I remember distinctly the title page in the newspaper Le Nouvelliste (Trois-Rivieres) "CANADIENS ÉLIMINÉS" in upper case like that. We were stopped of a 5th SC in a row.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I chose the Habs because I liked Saku Koivu's name.

Then I found out I'm related to former Hab Claude Larose. Also I learned both my grandmothers were born in Montreal. I thought my great grandfather had cerebral palsy because I had another relative with it, turns out he was just French and had no teeth so his speech was unintelligible and slurred to me.

Anyways, not a lot of great memories in most of my fandom to be honest. Habs were bad since I was a kid so I stopped watching hockey for a bit. Vancouver olympics got me back in after the lockdown killed my interest, and then I followed the Habs for the rest of the year which ended up being the Halak run. I think all our runs ended in pretty brutal heartbreaking fashion. Halak getting destroyed by Philly. Price getting Kreider'd. Tampa being overwhelmingly better than us and then losing Price forever.

Best moment would be if Price announced he had Rey Mysterio's knee stem cell treatments and was coming back next year. I am telling you guys, Rey Mysterio couldn't even walk ten years ago and somehow in his late mid 40's became an 18 year old again.

Eliminating the Leafs in what was their best chance and easiest path to the finals since the 60's in the first round was pretty sweet though. We basically ended their contender status as they're not even a lock to make the playoffs anymore. A true wildcard team. They keep getting duped. All their guys cool off after signing big extensions. Nylander was in the Art Ross race until he got signed. He's had 9 pointless games since then.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
My first true memory of the Habs was that playoff series against the North Stars in.... 1980 I guess? We lost in 7 games and I remember distinctly the title page in the newspaper Le Nouvelliste (Trois-Rivieres) "CANADIENS ÉLIMINÉS" in upper case like that. We were stopped of a 5th SC in a row.
Me too!!

I very vaguely remember Gainey lifting the Cup after 1979 win as Conn Smythe winner but 1980 playoffs was when I really started watching / listening & getting into the Habs

Denis Heron was doing great until he got hurt early that season, and wasn’t the same after he came back from injury having to settle for Bunny in nets. I also remember Pat Boutette kneeing Lafleur, in the previous round sweep vs Whalers - Guy was never the same again after that injury.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
My best memory as a Habs fan was my dad waking me up all excited to tell me Jean Beliveau scored 3 goals including his 500th in a 6-2 win over Minnesota.

My dad also told me so many stories about the 50's dynasty! I felt like I knew all of the players!

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004

My best memory as a Habs fan and probably why i'm a die hard Habs fan is that game played on April 8 1971

Penalty Summary​

3rd Period
2nd Period
1st Period

I was 10 years old and dont remember if i was permitted to watch the first period on TV but what i do clearly remember is listening to it in my bed with a little transistor radio, Boston where leading 5-1 and then it all started

Would be fun if some of you old bastard care to join and share some of your most liked moments being a Habs fan

PS to MOD First time i create a thread so feel free to close it if you think it as no business to be created in the first place....all good
Boston was the overwhelming favorite to repeat as Cup champs after their record breaking 1970-71 regular season, they had 7 of the top 11 scorers including the only four 100 point scorers. The season before, the Habs lost on the last night of the season in Chicago to miss the playoffs for the first time in eons, the first and only time in Jean Béliveau and Henri Richard's career. Habs lost game one against Boston and at 5-1 looked like it would be a short series. And then Henri Richard scored late in the second period to breathe a little life into the Habs. That third period was awfully sweet, Bobby Orr was on the ice for 6 of the 7 goals.

1971 was my favorite Habs playoff run, including a fantastic series against the Hawks. New Year's Eve 1975 vs Red Army is a great memory, the battle for bragging rights as the best team in the world. I'll remember the win against the Leafs in round one in 2021 for a long time, a great comeback, was special the way that group of players came together.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Thoughts from an Xer.

First game I went to as a kid was the 1981 intersquad Team Canada game at the Forum

Lafleur
Bossy
Robinson
Gretzky
Dionne
Potvin

Etc...

Other random memories and thoughts:

-Saw some Montreal games at the forum live - some including Guy Lafleur

-Parents used to have friends over in the basement watching the playoffs in the late 70s. I didn't care because I was too young to understand anything about us winning four cups in a row.

-I remember the Nords vs Habs series in the early 80s. To this day I've never seen a crazier rivalry. Hated that team with a passion.

-First favourite player was Guy Lafleur. After that it was Stephane Richer. Then years later Carey Price.

- I met Guy Lafleur at the Montreal airport about 15 years ago. He was hidden in a blocked off area and didn't want anyone to notice him - but I did. He was gracious and let me come over. We had a quick chat about how Chris Higgins had a great future ahead of him. Afterwards I felt bad about not speaking to him in French. Honestly though I just didn't even realize it at the time. It was like meeting God.

-Daryl Sittler walked by me at the Toronto airport - and I couldn't have cared less. :)

-In 1986 I was upset that Steve Penny wasn't playing in the playoffs. Until we won the cup.

-Stephane Richer should've been a HOFer. Mental health got in the way. Fortunately he got things together and now speaks out about mental health. I've been fortunate enough not to have to struggle with this but I admire him. A true hero to talk about this openly.

-I moved to Toronto in the mid late 80s and taunted my Leaf friends on the Courtnall trade. Good times. And I laughed and laughed and laughed.

-I taunted Leaf fans forever including 93 when they didn't make it and screamed about Fraser. I stopped taunting them about five years ago when I saw how shell shocked they had become with an endless series of heartbreaking losses. I deemed it to be cruel and inhumane. I didn't even mock them when the Canadiens beat them. Honest.

-The MB era will forever remain tragic in my mind. With a decent GM we win at least one cup in those years.

-The energy that happened whenever Lafleur touched the puck was echoed decades later with PK Subban. That was a very similar pull you out of your seat 'what's he going to do' feeling that was electric. I haven't seen that with another Hab player except maybe a bit with Richer.

-Richer still has the best slapshot I've ever seen. Accurate and powerful. I hate Micheal Thelven.

- I am optimistic about the future in a way I haven't been since Price, Subban and Max were all coming up. This time I'm hopeful that we won't f*** it up.

-Hab fans really overrated Koivu. And to a lesser extent Markov.

-If I were to meet Therrien or MB in real life I would be polite and probably not talk hockey. I hated how they ran the club but I don't think people should be berated over sports. I do however reserve the right to berate them on a message board.

-As of now, I think Price is the only player post-Roy that should get his number retired.

-I hope we get another pull you out of your seat player soon. There's nothing more fun than that.

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
Boston was the overwhelming favorite to repeat as Cup champs after their record breaking 1970-71 regular season, they had 7 of the top 11 scorers including the only four 100 point scorers. The season before, the Habs lost on the last night of the season in Chicago to miss the playoffs for the first time in eons, the first and only time in Jean Béliveau and Henri Richard's career. Habs lost game one against Boston and at 5-1 looked like it would be a short series. And then Henri Richard scored late in the second period to breathe a little life into the Habs. That third period was awfully sweet, Bobby Orr was on the ice for 6 of the 7 goals.

1971 was my favorite Habs playoff run, including a fantastic series against the Hawks. New Year's Eve 1975 vs Red Army is a great memory, the battle for bragging rights as the best team in the world. I'll remember the win against the Leafs in round one in 2021 for a long time, a great comeback, was special the way that group of players came together.

Boston had the the top 4 scorers that year including a certain defensemen name Bobby Orr

Yup, that Chicago game i think was the one when they took the goalie out early in the third beceause they would have made the playoffs with a certain amount of Goal for......not shure tho, maybe you remember more than me

And also if i remember corectly the Final in 71 against the Hawks everybody where talking about the goaltender duel between Esposito and Dryden and the first game finish something like 8-7 :laugh::laugh:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Penalty Summary​

1st Period
2nd Period
3rd Period

The comeback game! That was great series. We were vast underdogs. I liked Game 7 best. I was 7 and we watched series unfold. Everything was hockey then at my school. Everybody wanted to be Orr. I bet many Bruins fans at school milk money. I made enough to buy a dozen packs of hockey cards.

It was magical year, started rough with Ruel firing, etc. But then the trade for Mahovlich got ball rolling. Dryden call up. The coaching issues with MacNeil and Pocket Rocket, Ferguson.

Black Hawks had us against the ropes in Game 3. Then another big comeback to force Game 7. The Lemaire knuckleball from center ice, Dryden save on Pappin, Henri scoring twice in third period.

Ending with Habs winning another Cup. Beliveau retiring, John Ferguson also. Bowman hired, MacNeil to Halifax, drafting Lafleur and Robinson.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
My first memory as a 7 year old was the 1986 Stanley Cup Victory. I don't remember too many of the details, but by 1988, I was all in on my fandom for the team. I remember my first Habs Swag...it was a white t-shirt with a cartoon drawing of Mats Naslund, Stephane Richer and Chris Chelios on it.

Strange enough, my Dad was a die hard Leafs fan. I must have started to rebel early in life.

My Uncle, worked for a company that had seasons tickets to the Leafs. Every year, my Uncle, Cousin, Dad and I would go to Maple Leaf Gardens to see a game, and the Dad's always let us kids pick. We always chose the Habs (my cousin became a fan too). The only year we didn't see the Habs was the last year in the Gardens, and we instead chose to see the last game ever at Maple Leaf Gardens.

I managed to get to see the Habs at away games in Buffalo, Detroit and Tampa over the years.

My first time in Montreal was 2018. Saw the boys play in the Bell Centre, and I actually cried a little. My wife thought I was nuts. She too is a die hard Habs fan and has been to Montreal for games, numerous times,

Took a stroll to what remains of the Forum. Got Chills. Sat in some old seats that were saved for the area.

Wish I could have gone to a game at the Forum, but my memories of watching games in the forum on TV remain vivid.

My Dad is gone now, but I would have loved to take him to a game in Montreal where I could have been the home fan.

Love this team everyone. Try to stay positive, even in our darkest days, It is among the most special Franchise's in sports.

GHG!

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
The comeback game! That was great series. We were vast underdogs. I liked Game 7 best. I was 7 and we watched series unfold. Everything was hockey then at my school. Everybody wanted to be Orr. I bet many Bruins fans at school milk money. I made enough to buy a dozen packs of hockey cards.

It was magical year, started rough with Ruel firing, etc. But then the trade for Mahovlich got ball rolling. Dryden call up. The coaching issues with MacNeil and Pocket Rocket, Ferguson.

Black Hawks had us against the ropes in Game 3. Then another big comeback to force Game 7. The Lemaire knuckleball from center ice, Dryden save on Pappin, Henri scoring twice in third period.

Ending with Habs winning another Cup. Beliveau retiring, John Ferguson also. Bowman hired, MacNeil to Halifax, drafting Lafleur and Robinson.

Jesus, i hate to say this but you have a far better memory than i have :laugh:

But now that i'm reading it i can remember all those thing

Lemaire slapshot from from center ice , that was something, and the game winning goal by Henri cutting to net that was awsome

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Boston had the the top 4 scorers that year including a certain defensemen name Bobby Orr

Yup, that Chicago game i think was the one when they took the goalie out early in the third beceause they would have made the playoffs with a certain amount of Goal for......not shure tho, maybe you remember more than me

And also if i remember corectly the Final in 71 against the Hawks everybody where talking about the goaltender duel between Esposito and Dryden and the first game finish something like 8-7 :laugh::laugh:
In 1970, last night of the regular season vs the Hawks, all the Habs needed was a tie to make the playoffs, but they got behind. A loss meant they would end up with the exact same record as the Rangers. The first tie breaker was goals for and the Rangers had run up the score in the afternoon game to take that advantage. So the Habs pulled their goaltender with several minutes left to try to score a few more, didn't work though. The irony was, if they had played the whole game with no goaltender, maybe they score more goals and make the playoffs. The league changed the tie breaker rules after that so it couldn't happen that way again.

Your memory is better then mine on that first game vs the Hawks in 1971. Does sound vaguely familiar.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas

I watched that game in which Chicago won 8-7...great memory 1973

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
In 1970, last night of the regular season vs the Hawks, all the Habs needed was a tie to make the playoffs, but they got behind. A loss meant they would end up with the exact same record as the Rangers. The first tie breaker was goals for and the Rangers had run up the score in the afternoon game to take that advantage. So the Habs pulled their goaltender with several minutes left to try to score a few more, didn't work though. The irony was, if they had played the whole game with no goaltender, maybe they score more goals and make the playoffs. The league changed the tie breaker rules after that so it couldn't happen that way again.

Your memory is better then mine on that first game vs the Hawks in 1971. Does sound vaguely familiar.

Lol, searched and find it

1972-73 Stanley Cup Final Game 5, Chicago Black Hawks vs. Montreal Canadiens Box Score: May 8, 1973​

Wrong year lol

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
For me, It's the series wins against Boston in 02, 04, 08, and 14.

I'm old enough to remember the 93 cup run, but there is just something really special about playing against Boston in the playoffs, and from a suspense and hatred standpoint, these series almost always deliver in a big way.

The feeling of beating these guys in a series is a feeling I just don't get when the Habs advance against any other team.

vHAB

Apr 21, 2007
Montreal
Thoughts from an Xer.

First game I went to as a kid was the 1981 intersquad Team Canada game at the Forum

Lafleur
Bossy
Robinson
Gretzky
Dionne
Potvin

Etc...

Other random memories and thoughts:

-Saw some Montreal games at the forum live - some including Guy Lafleur

-Parents used to have friends over in the basement watching the playoffs in the late 70s. I didn't care because I was too young to understand anything about us winning four cups in a row.

-I remember the Nords vs Habs series in the early 80s. To this day I've never seen a crazier rivalry. Hated that team with a passion.

-First favourite player was Guy Lafleur. After that it was Stephane Richer. Then years later Carey Price.

- I met Guy Lafleur at the Montreal airport about 15 years ago. He was hidden in a blocked off area and didn't want anyone to notice him - but I did. He was gracious and let me come over. We had a quick chat about how Chris Higgins had a great future ahead of him. Afterwards I felt bad about not speaking to him in French. Honestly though I just didn't even realize it at the time. It was like meeting God.

-Daryl Sittler walked by me at the Toronto airport - and I couldn't have cared less. :)

-In 1986 I was upset that Steve Penny wasn't playing in the playoffs. Until we won the cup.

-Stephane Richer should've been a HOFer. Mental health got in the way. Fortunately he got things together and now speaks out about mental health. I've been fortunate enough not to have to struggle with this but I admire him. A true hero to talk about this openly.

-I moved to Toronto in the mid late 80s and taunted my Leaf friends on the Courtnall trade. Good times. And I laughed and laughed and laughed.

-I taunted Leaf fans forever including 93 when they didn't make it and screamed about Fraser. I stopped taunting them about five years ago when I saw how shell shocked they had become with an endless series of heartbreaking losses. I deemed it to be cruel and inhumane. I didn't even mock them when the Canadiens beat them. Honest.

-The MB era will forever remain tragic in my mind. With a decent GM we win at least one cup in those years.

-The energy that happened whenever Lafleur touched the puck was echoed decades later with PK Subban. That was a very similar pull you out of your seat 'what's he going to do' feeling that was electric. I haven't seen that with another Hab player except maybe a bit with Richer.

-Richer still has the best slapshot I've ever seen. Accurate and powerful. I hate Micheal Thelven.

- I am optimistic about the future in a way I haven't been since Price, Subban and Max were all coming up. This time I'm hopeful that we won't f*** it up.

-Hab fans really overrated Koivu. And to a lesser extent Markov.

-If I were to meet Therrien or MB in real life I would be polite and probably not talk hockey. I hated how they ran the club but I don't think people should be berated over sports. I do however reserve the right to berate them on a message board.

-As of now, I think Price is the only player post-Roy that should get his number retired.

-I hope we get another pull you out of your seat player soon. There's nothing more fun than that.

Fun post to read from the perspective of a fan who started watching later (born in 91). I would only say Kovalev had some of that pull you out of your seat magic as well but I agree, it would be nice to have another one. Still sad we missed out on Bedard, I fell in love with the kid at the WJC

Reactions: teamfirst

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
For me, It's the series wins against Boston in 02, 04, 08, and 14.

I'm old enough to remember the 93 cup run, but there is just something really special about playing against Boston in the playoffs, and from a suspense and hatred standpoint, these series almost always deliver in a big way.

The feeling of beating these guys in a series is a feeling I just don't get when the Habs advance against any other team.

Saw so many Habs Bruins series in my youth that when they change the playoffs format to the 1-16 one i hated it

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Jesus, i hate to say this but you have a far better memory than i have :laugh:

But now that i'm reading it i can remember all those thing

Lemaire slapshot from from center ice , that was something, and the game winning goal by Henri cutting to net that was awsome
The North Stars series even turned into nail biter. I thought it would be a cake walk. Took 6 games, almost 7. North Stars scored as buzzer sounded in game 6

Last edited:
Reactions: teamfirst

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Ya I remember that. I was so bummed. I remember Bobby Smith being a big part of that too. Then a few seasons later, he’s a Hab.

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015

Penalty Summary​

1st Period
2nd Period
3rd Period

I don't remember that game specifically since i was only 6 but the game was surely on in the house and i do recall all the Bobby Orr talk at the time. My first real recollection was the 73 Cup games against the Blackhawks.

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
I met Guy Lafleur at the Montreal airport about 15 years ago. He was hidden in a blocked off area and didn't want anyone to notice him - but I did. He was gracious and let me come over. We had a quick chat about how Chris Higgins had a great future ahead of him. Afterwards I felt bad about not speaking to him in French. Honestly though I just didn't even realize it at the time. It was like meeting God.

I get the feeling, was walking on Atwater in front of the Forum with my dad, i must have been around 12 years old we cross path with Le gros Bill and my dad goes with a ''salut ti-Jean'' he smiled at us and wave, i was speechless for about 5 minutes after that lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad