Post-Game Talk: A tale of two teams

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
You're exactly right. Vegas has figured the Jets out after Game 1. They are faster. Better coached. The play the best team game I've ever seen. They give the Jets zero time with the puck. And for all of the Jet's fans who think Vegas' goals were simply just Jets' mistakes.....the goals are the result of Vegas forcing those mistakes.

And Fleury is getting way more credit than he deserves. Lol. His acrobatic saves are a result of him being out of position. And I don't think he's honestly been tested, as our shots are low percentage scoring shots (obviously, not all of them). His play is the result of the great team defence in front of him suffocating opponents and forcing harmless shots against. Yes...he's playing well....but not to the extent I read on HF. He's still the mentally-weak goalie that I've watched since 2005....just has a better team defence system in front of him.

Vegas has forced our D to change cross ice when the puck is in the neutral zone 3 times? Sorry, not buying it. Jets are killing their game with laziness and bad decisions.

jiho

Apr 30, 2012
The funny part was Vegas did not even try to pick the best players. They picked many players just because they thought they would have the best trade value at the deadline so they could dump them for draft picks. Hey, does Chris Thorburn get a ring if Vegas wins the Cup?

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
The funny part was Vegas did not even try to pick the best players. They picked many players just because they thought they would have the best trade value at the deadline so they could dump them for draft picks. Hey, does Chris Thorburn get a ring if Vegas wins the Cup?

I know you're (probably) kidding about Thorburn, but was he even on the team when the season officially began on July 1?

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I had to google wet willie. Not as saucy as I feared, but still disgusting. Is there footage of this?

I like Florida, but I'm cursing them, never make the play-offs :thumbd:

Positive: Frenchie with 2 SOGs. Now up to six :thumbu: Baby steps. Now, lift the puck.

Camera clearly showed Fleury diddling with Wheelers ear, make Fleury look demented, the league look like a joke!

Reactions: Jets 31

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Yeah, sure. His point production had gone up for two consecutive seasons before this one. What a decline.

If you really feel the need to **** on everyone unfortunate enough to wear a Jets jersey, at least don't spit out lies doing so.

Say what, really who hasn’t seen a decline in Little’s play, for real dude?

Okay I bit, went to hockey database and looked at his numbers which weren’t really good when he was the number one centre, to be fair he was injured a lot which hurt his point totals. Little was effective when playing quick at full speed, he’s really slowed down which has effected his game to the point of making him ineffective.

jungles

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
This might just be sour grapes, but I am starting to be ready for all of this to be over. It feels like we have been watching hockey forever. It's exhausting.

Reactions: TheGovernment

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
All the people writing the Jets off after game 3 are pretty funny, considering how they called out the ones writing Vegas off after game 1.

Far from over imo. Called Jets in 6, not sure I still believe otherwise.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Not holding a lot of confidence in this series.

Regardless whether we win tomorrow or not.... A win would bring us 2-2 with home ice. Vegas won't lose two in a row... which likely makes it 3-2 Vegas in Winnipeg, with a Vegas played game 6 where the series would close out.

It'll be tough enough to beat Vegas at home in their barn.... This series could be 4-1 easily.

This is frustrating. The Jets are BETTER than what they're playing. Have to honestly say I'm also quite bitter.... A vegas cup win would be completely wasted on a fan base that doesn't kow the suffering and pain that comes with patiently building a true contender. The fans simply don't deserve it, and it makes me so frustrated.

Reactions: GNP

Whileee

May 29, 2010
In the games where the Sharks beat Vegas they laid on a liberal helping of body. Would be nice to see the Jets dish more out. Lowry, for example, has been a marshmallow.
I think Lowry has been dealing with a significant injury throughout the playoffs. It's limited his physical play.

Reactions: sipowicz

Larabee

Mar 10, 2011
Winnipeg
I call BS.

No one here was complaining after the draft or early in the season. There wasn't much talk about how these draft rules were too generous and that this expansion team was going to be allowed to have too much success. When I was saying that they are for real back in November, I was (in a polite kind of way) told that I was crazy and they were going to collapse. No one then was saying 'wow you know what these expansion draft rules were far too generous to allow an expansion team this much success' or anything like that.

The league does not look like a joke. The GM's who made bad decisions about who not to protect look like a joke. No one said Florida needed to give up Marchessault. The teams that are gliding to the bench on a bad change leading to breakaway goals the other way look like a joke. Why? Because there is an expansion team with the best coach and with a bunch of hard working 'third liners' and 'second paring or replacement level' d men who are willing to work their way to success.

The only reason people here are calling out this 'gift' now is because they are being successful. You know what, they are earning their success. And it stings because we all know that we have a better roster. But they have a better coach with a system that works against us, and they are out hustling us.

How about a baby step. Can our fakking coach yell at some people and tell them to bust their asses when making line changes? And not to make a line change if the puck isn't deep. And if you are not sure if it has made it deep, swivel your head (that is what god gave you a neck for) to see if it is deep as you start to bust your ass toward the bench for a change. If we can do that little baby step I will sleep 12 more minutes each night because we will give up one less goal per game.
In 2000, Columbus and Minnesota had different rules. Each team was allowed to protect either one goaltender, five defensemen, and nine forwards or two goaltenders, three defensemen, and seven forwards. That's 12 to 15 players ! Do you not think the GMs were against protecting only 8 players this time around ? Do you not think that fans who know anything about hockey were against protecting only 8 players ? Vegas got a sweet deal that allowed them to build their roster from a talent pool that was far too generous. Imagine the outrage if the NFL did something like that.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Right now--these are two evenly matched teams. If the Jets can get the depth scoring they need from Ehlers, Laine, Little and Perrault --then you'd have to say the Jet's have the better team. If they do not get that scoring --we have 2 evenly matched teams--both having different strengths and weaknesses --anything could happen.

Perrault--who we pay $ 4 mil per year to--just had to lift the puck over Fleury's pads but instead shot the puck right into his pads. If that was Connor--the Goal Lamp would have lit up.

It may be time to consider trading Perrault--how many goals has he scored over the last 20 games ??--not to many.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
In 2000, Columbus and Minnesota had different rules. Each team was allowed to protect either one goaltender, five defensemen, and nine forwards or two goaltenders, three defensemen, and seven forwards. That's 12 to 15 players ! Do you not think the GMs were against protecting only 8 players this time around ? Do you not think that fans who know anything about hockey were against protecting only 8 players ? Vegas got a sweet deal that allowed them to build their roster from a talent pool that was far too generous. Imagine the outrage if the NFL did something like that.

Columbus and Minny paid something like $80M. Not close to $500M, not even with inflation.

I looked back to see if you were saying at the time how these expansion draft rules were too generous and that this expansion team was going to be allowed to have too much success this year. I couldn't find anything like that. Maybe I missed it?

It is hard for me not to see all this 'Vegas is too successful too fast - not fair, not fair!' stuff as being just sour loser grapes. Especially when they are out working us on the ice. But I have a solution, let's play smarter more inspired hockey and win this series.

Sorry, that's the way I see it.

Don’t blame expansion draft rules for Vegas’ success, blame your GM

Last edited:
Reactions: sipowicz and Huffer

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Expansion Drafts are stupid in any sport/league with free agency. Disruptive to the existing teams and players careers when the new team already has a huge advantage in free agency. It was stupid in the CFL too when Ottawa came in.

Really what they need are draft picks. Let them have an extra pick at the end of every round, expansion teams in any sport. Let them draft in the couple years before they play (depending on sport).

Nov 24, 2006
I'm not feeling particularly optimistic today, but if you'd have told me that the Jets would win 3 out of 4 games IN Nashville, I would never have believed it. So there's always hope, and we are only down 2-1.

Reactions: GNP

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
The whole "Vegas fluked into this thanks to generous expansion draft rules" line of thinking just sounds like sour grapes to me. They're deserving of their current spot based on play alone this season. The whole league is supposed to be moving to "parity".

It also shows just how big a role a good goaltender plays in success.

I agree - I remember when the expansion draft was revealed, no one thought they'd get this far

I certainly did not think it looked like anything special on paper

Now that Vegas has had a great year and they have the current cup favourites chasing a conference final series, people have lots of sour grapes and revisionist history

Further, with regard to the 2 losses, we know the Jets did not play well

Vegas also got some lucky posts, and some stellar saves, plus poor play from Jets players who usually don't brain fart so bad

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I'm not feeling particularly optimistic today, but if you'd have told me that the Jets would win 3 out of 4 games IN Nashville, I would never have believed it. So there's always hope, and we are only down 2-1.

Very good post Strummer--and you have a great point. It looked a lot more gloomy going into Nashville with a "must win" --in game 7. I was surprised the Jet's just took that game in such a dominant fashion.

We really shouldn't be down at all--as we're only down 2-1 in the series. Let's not forget that previous Jet's teams were up 3-1-- in 2 series and lost both of them. This situation will test the true character of this team, and tell us what we have here.

Let's keep the spirits strong --and back our team, as this is a long ways from over !!!

Reactions: Joe Strummer

folix

Jul 24, 2011
Every NHL player is cheering for Jets.
If Vegas wins ... the end of high contracts is coming to a screeching halt.

Yeah every owner out there is looking at their current income or rather losses to be honest. Seeing that it is far more financially viable to simply fold or sell your team, pay the 500 million and have a far better shot at the cup. How many millions of dollars and years and draft picks etc. is it going to take before they have a legit shot at a cup? 5 years? 10 years? Is that team even worth saving?

Columbus and Minny paid something like $80M. Not close to $500M, not even with inflation.

I looked back to see if you were saying at the time how these expansion draft rules were too generous and that this expansion team was going to be allowed to have too much success this year. I couldn't find anything like that. Maybe I missed it?

It is hard for me not to see all this 'Vegas is too successful too fast - not fair, not fair!' stuff as being just sour loser grapes. Especially when they are out working us on the ice. But I have a solution, let's play smarter more inspired hockey and win this series.

Sorry, that's the way I see it.

Don’t blame expansion draft rules for Vegas’ success, blame your GM

I dont agree only being able to protect 8 players is horrible. I said it then I am saying it again. Look at our roster, protect 8 players against Seattle, we are going to lose someone who we have spent millions on and several years scouting drafting developing. A much better situation would be 12 players at the very least.

Dont buy into the media hype these werent "misfits" or "unwanted players" at all.

I also HATE the money argument. So for 600 million I can get every team to protect only 4 players then? At what point are you just buying a playoff team?

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Way too often the difference between other players and Laine is like the difference between NHL football and tag football, with a bit of rhythmic gymnastics thrown in. He's been in the league two full years and should be closer to a manly game.
He’s barely 20
He’ll be fine
His presence makes more space for others

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad