Post-Game Talk: A tale of two teams

Afterburner

FREE UKRAINE
Sponsor
Jun 24, 2016
Dimension C-137
Someone I know who went to the game said the same thing. Had beer and food intentionally spilled on his Jets jersey, and was verbally harassed by fans the whole time. When he talked to an usher he was told he should have expected it, being a visiting team fan in the building. He's writing to the organization but doesn't expect much.

That's deplorable behavior and they should be ashamed. There is no excuse for that and the organization shouldn't just brush it off. I don't think you would get away with intentionally spilling food and drink on someone at the mts center, not that I've ever heard of anyone doing it intentionally here. That's just bad form

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
To lose our team and to finally get it back after 16 long years to go through the pain of building a contender over 7 seasons.

Vegas needs to suffer like all the teams in the league have had to get where they are at.

I am not jealous of their first year success but I definitely resent it.

At the end of the day this what frustrates me the most. After waiting all my life to see this, not to mention 16 long years without an NHL team, this first year freaking team, with it's clueless fan base is on the verge of spoiling it.

Last edited:

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I think that's exactly what Maurice was chewing them out for after the 3rd goal. They seemed to be much better the rest of the way, need to play that way from the start. They're reversing the puck way too ****ing much.

yeah the turn arounds behind our net by our D men drive me nuts because it often looks to me like there is a clear path for them if they just skate a bit...but they get the puck, start to move one direction and it seems like if they just catch a glimpse of an enemy jersey coming their way they instantly turn and try going the other way. Just move your feet the first direction and GO!

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Nobody is making excuses about our team that is not showing up to beat Vegas just because they are an expansion team of throwaways.

The Jets should be able to beat this team with all our depth and talent and hopefully they get their shit together in game 4.

Stop with the 1st year/ expansion team/ no star players etc.....that's just an excuse to not play as hard. If the Jets want to move forward they need to beat the Pacific champions, thankfully it's not Anaheim in its prime,or the Stanley Cup winning Kings of years gone by.
Our young guns are making mistakes that our goalie is not bailing them out of. I haven't seen 4 lines roll dominant for more than a shift against these guys yet. Mostly we are being out- goalied and that gives them more energy.
Helly needs to win the next one.....or Fluery lose it.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Vegas has not suffered yet and their fans have no clue what the pain of building a good team is yet..

Lets see what happens when their team does not make the playoffs for years.
Agree. I think it's probably not great to peak very early, because newbie fans will sort of expect that kind of payoff from the team. I think this team is going back to the desert in the coming seasons, and it will be interesting to see if the fans will stay as engaged after tasting so much success in the first season.

Reactions: tntkid

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Yeah, its tough not to underestimate an expansion team. It seems to me the system has given them too much. If you can assemble a team from the expansion draft that is capable of getting to the cup...I think that is a little crazy. Competitive...maybe make the playoffs and get bounced early? Sure...but the Cup? Chipman/Thompson dropped a lot of money too but we got saddled with whatever Atlanta had cobbled together. It's annoying that a fan base gets to enjoy a cup run when they didn't even have a team the previous year...

but it is what it is. Win game 4 and we're back in the game.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I'm wondering if it's time to shift him to the wing?

Connor - Scheifele - Wheeler
Ehlers/Perreault - Stastny - Little
Perreault/Ehlers - Lowry - Laine
Tanev - Copp - Armia

:dunno:
I think he has been fine at C, just not making good plays offensively at the crucial times, so they aren't producing goals from the bottom 6. It's not just him, Perreault has really gone cold offensively, too. He just seems to make the wrong decision at the crucial moments, and isn't finishing chances. They are getting good zone time and are playing quick, but they are lacking finish. The Jets need more secondary scoring.

Reactions: Guerzy and Ducky10

Revolver

Mar 22, 2013
Winnipeg
That's deplorable behavior and they should be ashamed. There is no excuse for that and the organization shouldn't just brush it off. I don't think you would get away with intentionally spilling food and drink on someone at the mts center, not that I've ever heard of anyone doing it intentionally here. That's just bad form

Maybe writing to TNSE would be more effective. Vegas brass will take it more seriously if they get a phone call from Chevy or Chipman.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
A first year expansion team with a bunch of throwaways players from each team that has never played together before should not be where they are at right now.

It is an embarrassment to the league and it makes no sense.

Every one of them hugely resents being cast aside like stinky Glad bags and they want to get even. Hate is a strong motivator.

p.s.: Why do you put your reply above the quote box?

Reactions: thegr8one66

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I think he has been fine at C, just not making good plays offensively at the crucial times, so they aren't producing goals from the bottom 6. It's not just him, Perreault has really gone cold offensively, too. He just seems to make the wrong decision at the crucial moments, and isn't finishing chances. They are getting good zone time and are playing quick, but they are lacking finish. The Jets need more secondary scoring.

For all the talk of limiting mistakes and Helle making the big save, this is the story of the series right now. The Jets depth has not shown itself and it's supposed to be why they are the better team.

Scheifele literally put the team on his back in the 3rd and came inches away from pulling them back. Somebody needs to step up and help him, Stastny, Little, Perreault, I'm looking at you.

edit....you too Pate.

Reactions: Jets 31

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Honestly though, I expect the Jets to come out flying next game. If we play like we did in the second half of that game it's no contest.

They already played like they did in the second half of that game. It happened in the second half of that game. They went from being down by 1 goal to losing by 2 goals. They're going to have to play better than that.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Yeah, its tough not to underestimate an expansion team. It seems to me the system has given them too much. If you can assemble a team from the expansion draft that is capable of getting to the cup...I think that is a little crazy. Competitive...maybe make the playoffs and get bounced early? Sure...but the Cup? Chipman/Thompson dropped a lot of money too but we got saddled with whatever Atlanta had cobbled together. It's annoying that a fan base gets to enjoy a cup run when they didn't even have a team the previous year...

but it is what it is. Win game 4 and we're back in the game.

Getting OT but, this IMO is what upsets most people. Go thru the list of all the expansion teams since the 1960s.. other than the Edmonton Oilers ( who worked out a backroom deal to stab the other WHA teams in the back so they could keep Greztky ) every single expansion team had to go thru pain and growth to get better. They were handed nothing. And is some cases they were given less than nothing.

Now we have Vegas that was given pretty much a competitive team because they gave the NHL $500,000,000. You should earn your stripes, not buy them.

None of this excuses the lame play we have seen from the Jets though, but I hope Chipman has some warm feelings when he looks at his cheque for $16,666,667 and remembers what it bought.

Reactions: Board Bard

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Every one of them hugely resents being cast aside like stinky Glad bags and they want to get even. Hate is a strong motivator.

p.s.: Why do you put your reply above the quote box?

I am sure many of Vegas's throwaways want to stick it to their old teams for abandoning and giving up on them.

I am sure MAF is even laughing at the Pens right now

Reactions: Board Bard

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Someone I know who went to the game said the same thing. Had beer and food intentionally spilled on his Jets jersey, and was verbally harassed by fans the whole time. When he talked to an usher he was told he should have expected it, being a visiting team fan in the building. He's writing to the organization but doesn't expect much.

Fans as surly louts just like the rink workers who in the morning wouldn't let the Jets start practice a few minutes before their scheduled time. Guess it's a city full of classless a**holes.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Either Little played hurt all season or he got old and over the hill really early in his career and really fast, guy is a shadow of what he was two years ago!

PS Little's decline was already pretty noticeable last season!
Yeah, sure. His point production had gone up for two consecutive seasons before this one. What a decline.

If you really feel the need to shit on everyone unfortunate enough to wear a Jets jersey, at least don't spit out lies doing so.

Reactions: Evil Little

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
I am sure many of Vegas's throwaways want to stick it to their old teams for abandoning and giving up on them.

I am sure MAF is even laughing at the Pens right now

IIRC with MAF it was a little bit of a different situation. The Pens were up against the Cap and had to pick between MAF and Murray, and had other contract issues... so they went with the younger goalie who is quite decent. Just saying I wouldn't concider MAF a throw away.

Now the conspiracy theory crowd might suggest that sending MAF to Vegas was a payback to the NHL for fixing the lottery draft that gave the Pens Sidney Crosby.

Reactions: thegr8one66

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014

Perreault lately looking like a parody of a hockey player, like someone from Slapshot.

Reactions: Scheifelaine

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
People complaining about Las Vegas success because it is their first year. I didn't see much complaining early in the season. Just sweeping generalization criticisms about how they can't be for real because they are a bunch of 3rd liners blah blah blah.

Are you guys watching the games and seeing how they are playing? They are earning every bit of their success. I can't think of a single shift that any one of them has taken off. And they hustle to the bench on line changes - wouldn't that be nice? Look at the gap that the D men play on our top line players - great system / great coaching. Forecheck / backcheck - causing turnovers all around the ice. Everyone is always moving. You can say MAF is 'stealing' the games but that is BS. Our guys aren't burying our chances. Frenchy - all he had to do was elevate the puck - he shoots it into MAF's pads and MAF is 'stealing' the game - it's BS. Laine rings it off the post - MAF didn't do squat - we hit the post - not even a SOG. We are spotting them 2 goals a game because they bust their ass to every puck, bust their ass on every back check, bust their ass back on every puck retrieval, bust their ass up ice on every turnover, bust their ass on every line change and then we say MAF is stealing the games. BS. It is time for us to put up or shut up. On paper we have the better roster. On the ice where it matters they are winning because they are beating us at hockey.

Personally, I think that if they beat us in this series it is because they earned it and we didn't.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014

They probably think bullying fans will somehow intimidate the players. Probably some lingering effect of Mafia rule.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad