GDT: A Tale of Two Goalies: Flam (14-9-1) vs Star (12-10-3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay
habs fan here- what's the deal with Rittich? Is he your typical hot start goalie du jour, or is he the real deal? Still young, and seems like he's done well every step of the way, but I'm curious if he's more a Halak type, or a bonafide future starter.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
habs fan here- what's the deal with Rittich? Is he your typical hot start goalie du jour, or is he the real deal? Still young, and seems like he's done well every step of the way, but I'm curious if he's more a Halak type, or a bonafide future starter.

Jury is still out on what exactly he is. To be honest. I wouldn't be willing to make a call on what exactly David Rittich is today. So far, he's look great, and not aberration great (like posting these 40 shot against shutouts nightly).

I think he's an average goaltender, who is capable of being more if the stars align. People forget that this Flames team is stingy, and makes goalies lives fairly easy (outside of anomaly games). Smith essentially was giving games away (like that game in Calgary against Montreal). I think he could be something like Halak/Allen with this team in front of him, but I also think he could develop further and be a bonafide starter.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

Active Goalies with 400+ career starts:

qREK3Ys.jpg

Of the guys above him on that list in career regular season SV% only Crawford, Rinne, Lundqvist, and Luongo have taken a team deeper into the playoffs before.

So whatever a Halak type is, I sure hope Rittich is one.

Unless you mean "not arbitrarily annointed a starter" in which case I can't tell you because that would be outside of Rittich control.

Reactions: Sk8M8

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I can only say that time will tell. I'll get back to you at the end of the season. Hopefully he's Kiprusoff mk.II.
The Flames have waited a long time for Kipper's replacement.

Reactions: Nanuuk

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
I can only say that time will tell. I'll get back to you at the end of the season. Hopefully he's Kiprusoff mk.II.
The Flames have waited a long time for Kipper's replacement.
Those guys don't grow on trees. Got to be a nightmare position to recruit as a GM.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Looking at Dallas' player stats I didn't realize how crap they are. Outside Radulov they have no one producing at a good pace, both Seguin and Benn seem to be struggling (for them anyway). Aren't they supposed to be some offensive powerhouse?

Flames should dummy these clowns.

This games song goes hard like the Flames will:

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I think Rittich is our future no. 1 , but at what point is the question. If the Flames continue to alternate between Smitty and Rittich, the work load will be pretty even and neither should be fatigued. By the end of the year we'll know if BSD is ready to take control.

Yes Neal is due. Lots of folks have been down on him because of the size of his pay cheque, but he's getting his chances. Same goes for Benny.

Reactions: Portable Mink

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I have a feeling James Neal is due for a good game.
What you guys think?
16 shots last 5 games no goals.

It has to happen sometime. He gets loads of chances every game but just seems snakebitten.

If he's on your fantasy team and has been a disappointment, rest assured that outside of one or two members on this board, we all think he's looked fine but that the bounces just haven't been going his way.

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay
Active Goalies with 400+ career starts:

qREK3Ys.jpg

Of the guys above him on that list in career regular season SV% only Crawford, Rinne, Lundqvist, and Luongo have taken a team deeper into the playoffs before.

So whatever a Halak type is, I sure hope Rittich is one.

Unless you mean "not arbitrarily annointed a starter" in which case I can't tell you because that would be outside of Rittich control.
Not to sidetrack the thread, but I definitely think Halak has been sheltered in the sense that he's only played a couple seasons as a starter- I see he has among the fewest GS on that list- and this has been able to rely on another starter taking a lot of tough starts, giving him rest, and so on. That's not a knock on Halak- he's a very good, underrated goalie but I don't think he's a top 10 guy.

And yes, I mostly meant "not an every day starter" although I don't think that Halak isn't a starter for purely outside factors.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Not to sidetrack the thread, but I definitely think Halak has been sheltered in the sense that he's only played a couple seasons as a starter- I see he has among the fewest GS on that list- and this has been able to rely on another starter taking a lot of tough starts, giving him rest, and so on. That's not a knock on Halak- he's a very good, underrated goalie but I don't think he's a top 10 guy.

And yes, I mostly meant "not an every day starter" although I don't think that Halak isn't a starter for purely outside factors.

I expect Rittich to come down to earth, but every game he gets, he proves me wrong. FWIW, going into this year I figured Rittich had a 50/50 shot at being a 1B, or a solid backup behind a true #1 - along the lines of the Halak-type goalie you're talking about.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Just watching TSN "Thats Hockey". Craig Button said he doesn't think that Mike Smith is capable of being a go to guy anymore but he can be the guy that supports David Rittich.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Unusual to see a 7:00 pm start for tonight's Flames game as the Leafs are playing tonight too in Toronto. Glad to see it.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Looks like the Stars PP hasn't been very effective since Klingburg got injured. 2 for 24 since the injury.
Khudobin stopped 30 of 31 shots last night. Might be a strong 3rd period for the Flames tonight with Khudobin back in the net. Lets fire a lot of rubber at him in the 1st and 2nd periods.
Dallas is averaging 2.72 goals per game.
Anton Khudobin's stats this season:
Capture.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad