GDT: A Tale of Two Goalies: Flam (14-9-1) vs Star (12-10-3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Seguin is a beauty. Still laugh at Boston trading him. I would dish Monahan for him anyday.

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
Other than his PPG, Johnny was utter crap all game. Tkachuk was invisible and so was Monahan.

I thought Neal had a really good game though, he's starting to gain his form back.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Kind of annoying how our wingers are expected to shoulder most of the burden offensively. When's the last time our centers took the bull by the horns and dragged us to a win

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Flames got the lead, blew it and then gongshowed it in OT, played poorly for most of the game. Take the 1 point and show up on Friday.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Honestly, I'm not that upset we got a point considering how we played through two. Nonetheless, the way that OT was lost was just embarrassing by giving up the slot and leaving Rittich totally exposed. Embarrassing defensive effort overall.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Oh well, I'm fine with one point.

Fully expect Smith to get the next start.

Yup..it's going back and forth until someone win or lose the job again

Rittich was average tonight

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Brodie has been awesome the last couple weeks but he's got to do a better job of clearing in front of the net. Always been a weakness of his.

Top 9 forwards were all awful. Tkachuk, Gaudreau, and Monahan especially. Still waiting for the day Monahan decides to wake up and be the center he can be.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
That OT goal bugs me, because there's obvious contact, it's obviously because of Benn's decision to skate through the crease, Rittich has no motivation to slide extra far out to his right other than because of the contact, so concluding that the contact didn't affect his ability to make the save is just illogical. Of course it did. So if we know that, why would we want that to be called a good goal?

Other than his PPG, Johnny was utter crap all game. Tkachuk was invisible and so was Monahan.

I thought Neal had a really good game though, he's starting to gain his form back.
I think more than anything, the Stars just impressed me defensively. They did a lot of bending but not breaking, and always seemed to have a stick in the way. We could have done a lot better job getting shots off quickly, and further to that we had opportunities for one-timers on the rush spoiled because of poor passes.

Reactions: Migos

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Kind of annoying how our wingers are expected to shoulder most of the burden offensively. When's the last time our centers took the bull by the horns and dragged us to a win

Backlund has been useless offensively this year thb. He's been feasting on secondary assists, but you can tell he's injured with how poor he's been in the faceoff dot and just how bad his shot has been (which has never been great to begin with). Still good at moving the puck up the ice, but the second line is hurting offensively.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Seguin is a beauty. Still laugh at Boston trading him. I would dish Monahan for him anyday.

Apparently there were rumours that Calgary inquired about Seguin. But Boston wanted Gaudreau, Baertschi, and the 6th overall (Which they probably would have used on Monahan).

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
That OT goal bugs me, because there's obvious contact, it's obviously because of Benn's decision to skate through the crease, Rittich has no motivation to slide extra far out to his right other than because of the contact, so concluding that the contact didn't affect his ability to make the save is just illogical. Of course it did. So if we know that, why would we want that to be called a good goal?

I think more than anything, the Stars just impressed me defensively. They did a lot of bending but not breaking, and always seemed to have a stick in the way. We could have done a lot better job getting shots off quickly, and further to that we had opportunities for one-timers on the rush spoiled because of poor passes.

What bugs me more is that all 3 guys where staring at the puck and left the slot wide open. Just embarrassing effort.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Backlund has been useless offensively this year thb. He's been feasting on secondary assists, but you can tell he's injured with how poor he's been in the faceoff dot and just how bad his shot has been (which has never been great to begin with). Still good at moving the puck up the ice, but the second line is hurting offensively.

So playing poorly=injury? If he is injured, he should sit until he is fully healed

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
So playing poorly=injury? If he is injured, he should sit until he is fully healed

He has a hand injury. Somebody said that he was shaking people's hands with his left hand and not his right. It's pretty obvious he hasn't looked the same out there, but like Monahan, he's not gonna sit until the season is over one way or another. Good news is that it should make Tkachuk cheaper... bad news, our 2nd line is gonna be inconsistent offensively when someone is hurt all year.

JGaudreau

Oct 9, 2015
Backlund's been noticeably bad. If he's hurt so badly he should get it treated. The number of players that can be moved to play different center spots -> Lindholm, Bennett, Janko, Ryan, Dube. 5 centers for 3 spots even without Backlund.

We should use that depth instead of grinding down our best 2 way forward to the point of uselessness.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008

This brings up what was being discussed in the trade thread about this team needing another good center(this was discussed on the Boomer and Warrener Show). I totally agree with that, this team needs another good center, Darryl Sutter said it on a show(I forget which one), that Backlund is a #3 center on a Cup winning team. I think we can get away with Monahan being the #1 as long as we have another center that can be guaranteed to put up 55+ points(and this is not Backlund.)

I don’t think moving Lindholm to center works because it f***s up the first line.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
This brings up what was being discussed in the trade thread about this team needing another good center(this was discussed on the Boomer and Warrener Show). I totally agree with that, this team needs another good center, Darryl Sutter said it on a show(I forget which one), that Backlund is a #3 center on a Cup winning team. I think we can get away with Monahan being the #1 as long as we have another center that can be guaranteed to put up 55+ points(and this is not Backlund.)

I don’t think moving Lindholm to center works because it ****s up the first line.

Backlund is a fine #2 when he isn't injured to shit. Kadri was a #2 in Toronto until this season, and they had no problems getting to 100 points. He's playing hurt right now, and you can tell it's a problem.

Anyway, we can't afford a #2 center thanks to that Neal contract.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Anyone else thinking Rittich might get at least a fine for his reaction last night? I have a weird feeling he actually might.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
He might. But then again, I'm pretty sure Rask got nothing for throwing a razor blade in a similar situation.
Lmao true. I forgot that happened. I don't really think it's anything to get worked up about. If anything I want the other Flames players to see that and realize they could have avoided it if they had played with any kind of heart last night.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012

Don't ever expect that from Backlund.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Flames played a lousy game.
I haven't seen Tkachuk that useless in a long, long time. Gaudreau/Monahan were fighting it really badly too.

We got a point in a game we maybe shouldn't of. We lost the specialty teams battle; normally that results in a loss.

Oh well, get a point, on to tomorrow!

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Flames played a lousy game.
I haven't seen Tkachuk that useless in a long, long time. Gaudreau/Monahan were fighting it really badly too.

We got a point in a game we maybe shouldn't of. We lost the specialty teams battle; normally that results in a loss.

Oh well, get a point, on to tomorrow!

Second line as a whole struggled last night. At one point the Backlund line with Gio/Brodie were hemmed in our zone by Dallas's 4th line. You just don't see that very often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad