OT: A Rangers Fan leaving New York

ltsthinaz

Dec 20, 2011
Kingman, Arizona
You're right about the taxes, but the housing costs in Portland are still very cheap wrt NYC. Relative to many other places Portland is expensive, but I'm paying over $2k/mo for less than 700 sf in Jersey City. I can find an equivalent for half that in Portland.

My mortgage in Arizona is less than your house payment, and I have 4,000 sf on 1 acre in the nicest part of the area. Nothing is worse than housing in megalopolis, except maybe San Francisco.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
My mortgage in Arizona is less than your house payment, and I have 4,000 sf on 1 acre in the nicest part of the area. Nothing is worse than housing in megalopolis, except maybe San Francisco.

100% agree. I am in Tucson often for work, and listening to my colleagues there talk about their homes just makes me feel stupid. People have "great rooms" and offices and pay less than half of what I do for 1.5 bedrooms. It gets harder and harder to rationalize.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Things cost more here because so many people want to live here.

If you don't appreciate how much better things are here, you probably should move to parts of the country where the cost of living is less.

I respectfully disagree with this. Things cost more in and around NYC because the market is set by people who have high paying jobs in finance and entertainment (mostly), or they come from established money. If you think things are "better" in NYC, you either haven't done much traveling or have a very different view of what "better" means.

NYC is not unique in its access to shopping, restaurants and culture like many believe it to be. If you need twenty Ethiopian restaurants to be content, maybe NYC is the place for you, but I'd be fine in a city that has five, and extra space to do the things that make me feel human - like being outside on dirt and grass. The more traveling I do, the less I understand this privilege that I am apparently paying a premium for in NYC.

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
New York does have a prestige to it that I can't ignore. I look forward to the day of the move, but whenever I travel, I stand a bit taller when people ask where I'm from. It's New York. There's not a person in the world who doesn't know the name.

I look forward to living in the south, but I doubt I'll ever be anything but a Suburban New Yorker at heart. It's ingrained in me in a strange way. I don't have much of an accent, but after an hour or so in Brooklyn, I suddenly do. Very strange. I thought about spending a week there just before the move so I can show up with the thickest accent possible.

Joe11

Aug 2, 2011
I respectfully disagree with this. Things cost more in and around NYC because the market is set by people who have high paying jobs in finance and entertainment (mostly), or they come from established money. If you think things are "better" in NYC, you either haven't done much traveling or have a very different view of what "better" means.

NYC is not unique in its access to shopping, restaurants and culture like many believe it to be. If you need twenty Ethiopian restaurants to be content, maybe NYC is the place for you, but I'd be fine in a city that has five, and extra space to do the things that make me feel human - like being outside on dirt and grass. The more traveling I do, the less I understand this privilege that I am apparently paying a premium for in NYC.

Respectfully, I have done a lot of travel in the US and other countries.

I guess it does come down to each persons definition of what better is.

Don't care about Ethopian restaurants.

I will say one thing. Some people feel special because they come from NYC. I don't.
just feel lucky to have been born here and able to stay here.

Gresch04

Feb 12, 2009
I'm fine with isolation. And I don't expect to be rich, though, I'd have to be rich in New York to live like middle class in the south, it seems.

That pizza and bagel thing, though. Damn.

It's a problem almost anywhere outside NY/NJ. I just came back to the Midwest from a week visiting my Dad in NJ and brought 16 loaves of Italian bread and 3 dozen bagels. :laugh:

I usually bring Pizza but still have some in the freezer from last trip and I also make my own which is just as good.

NHRangerfan

After living in our beloved New York for 23 years, this Rangers fan will be moving to South Carolina in June. I never thought I'd leave New York, but I also never thought I'd Zucc in a Rangers uniform again, so goes to show how good my anticipation is.

I'd like to first off thank this forum for even existing. Hockey is the only sport I follow, and I have few people with whom I can discuss it constantly. This forum is something of a godsend, and I anticipate it will be even more so when I'm down below the Mason-Dixon.

Second, to any and all Rangers fans outside the tristate, I'm asking for advice. Is center ice worth it, or is streaming better? How are games at Raleigh? Worth a considerable drive? Anything a lifelong New Yorker can do to not look like My Cousin Vinny in the south? And on the off chance, would anyone here know of a hockey bar in or around Horry County?

I imagine a mod will eventually lock this and tell folks to PM me, but I'd appreciate it if the thread was allowed to stay open for some time, as a brief discussion between multiple posters would be more helpful than half a dozen PMs telling me the same things.

Thanks again, HFNYR

Good luck man...as an expat NYC boy living in New Hampshire for a long time I know how it feels.

I've had Center Ice for 10+ years, if you can get it on DirecTV do it. Unlike CI via cable companies, 99.9% of the games on DirecTV are in HD and have both the home and away feeds.

Heyoooo*

I'm a lifelong NYC person. I respect everyones opinion.
Things cost more here because so many people want to live here.

If you don't appreciate how much better things are here, you probably should move to parts of the country where the cost of living is less.

That being said, I could definitely live in SF or Boston.

But wherever I would be, NHL centre ice is a must, so I could follow the Rangers

Good luck with your move

The only thing keeping the population numbers up is immigration, otherwise NYC would see a decrease.

Youre competing with people in finance, law and entertainment for real estate. They can outbid eachother (and the average person especially, pretty easily) for it. That coupled with the lack of space to build makes real estate costs so high.

Its not like Chicago where theres ample room to just build. Everything in Manhattan has to be razed first, if it isnt a landmark that is. Theres more red tape and NIMBYism in NYC.

Still, I used to have that mindset about NYC, and im an Upstater. I have lived in Brooklyn and schooled in Jersey, have fam downstate. Its not all there is. The more I travel, the more I see that.

Most other places are way more practical in day-to-day living, at a much lower cost. Thats whats important.

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano
Good luck.
Center ice is a god send.
The one thing you will appreciate if the open spaces. when I moved to Dallas, that's the first thing that hit me.
Even here, I can find Bagels, NY pizza and good delis.

After a while you will ask yourself what took you so long.

RangersFan

Feb 27, 2002
NY, NY
good luck dude. i have one suggestion though, to save yourself some heartache and for peace of mind, why not leave the Rangers as well? become a canes fan, and if you raise a family out there raise them as canes fans as well. might be for the better in the long run. as much as it pains me i'm seriously debating whether or not to raise my children as mets and rangers fans. i'm considering raising my son as a yankees fan to spare him some heartache even though it goes against every fiber of my being.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
New York does have a prestige to it that I can't ignore. I look forward to the day of the move, but whenever I travel, I stand a bit taller when people ask where I'm from. It's New York. There's not a person in the world who doesn't know the name.

I look forward to living in the south, but I doubt I'll ever be anything but a Suburban New Yorker at heart. It's ingrained in me in a strange way. I don't have much of an accent, but after an hour or so in Brooklyn, I suddenly do. Very strange. I thought about spending a week there just before the move so I can show up with the thickest accent possible.

When you realize how much better life is down south and out west compared to the north... that prestige goes away real quick.

I thought the same thing. I was a die hard and hated the southern culture when I moved here. Now I am a southerner at heart.

Joe11

Aug 2, 2011
When you realize how much better life is down south and out west compared to the north... that prestige goes away real quick.

I thought the same thing. I was a die hard and hated the southern culture when I moved here. Now I am a southerner at heart.

disagree

Last edited:

Heyoooo*

You dig the southern culture of burning crosses, owning slaves and celebrating ignorance?

You dig high taxes, miserable people and miserable weather?

Im a pretty extreme liberal, and I feel I should say that right off the bat. Im not necessarily defending the South by any means, but just being practical. (I know, crazy right? the ****ing South)

Burning crosses? Who gives a **** about that. There are conservative whack jobs up here in rural areas too. Flag burning and cross burning are free speech rights.

Slave-owning? The South may be less race-tolerant but I see just as much subtle racism up here as well. New England especially. The part of the US that is probably most "live and let live" is the West Coast. The Northeast is very traditional and provincial. Ask any black person up here about race, its not like theyre going to grab your hand and sing kumbaya. There are definite tensions here as well.

America as a whole still has a long way to go as far as race relations. Civil Rights have only been around the last ~50 years, and no, 50 years is not long enough.

Celebrating ignorance? Theres ignorance everywhere, even here in NY.

Just move to Florida. Its the closest youll get to NY being warm year round. :laugh:

Joe11

Aug 2, 2011
You dig high taxes, miserable people and miserable weather?

Im a pretty extreme liberal, and I feel I should say that right off the bat. Im not necessarily defending the South by any means, but just being practical. (I know, crazy right? the ****ing South)

Burning crosses? Who gives a **** about that. There are conservative whack jobs up here in rural areas too. Flag burning and cross burning are free speech rights.

Slave-owning? The South may be less race-tolerant but I see just as much subtle racism up here as well. New England especially. The part of the US that is probably most "live and let live" is the West Coast. The Northeast is very traditional and provincial. Ask any black person up here about race, its not like theyre going to grab your hand and sing kumbaya. There are definite tensions here as well.

America as a whole still has a long way to go as far as race relations. Civil Rights have only been around the last ~50 years, and no, 50 years is not long enough.

Celebrating ignorance? Theres ignorance everywhere, even here in NY.

Just move to Florida. Its the closest youll get to NY being warm year round. :laugh:

You are right, it was silly and should not have been posted - I have changed it

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
Boys, I miss New York

The only reason I'm bumping this is because while everyone hates the new metropolitan division name, it makes all the sense in the world to me. Every team in there is in a major city, and easily more "metropolitan" than most of the other teams. The only one that stands out to me is Carolina, because I've never been to Raleigh, though that'll change this season.

Seriously, life in the vicinity of one of these major cities is BEYOND any imaginable measure of difference. It's unreal. I'm on the Myrtle Beach boarder, and I won't lie and claim that I enjoy it. Took a trip to Charleston, loved it. It's like the ******* son of New Orleans and Boston. But seriously, life in these cities or the suburbs of them just doesn't compare to the other areas.

No lie, the south and I don't blend perfectly well. But I feel like the only one who understands the Metro division's name.

Last edited:

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Boys, I miss New York

The only reason I'm bumping this is because while everyone hates the new metropolitan division name, it makes all the sense in the world to me. Every team in there is in a major city, and easily more "metropolitan" than most of the other teams. The only one that stands out to me is Carolina, because I've never been to Raleigh, though that'll change this season.

Seriously, life in the vicinity of one of these major cities is BEYOND any imaginable measure of difference. It's unreal. I'm on the Myrtle Beach boarder, and I won't lie and claim that I enjoy it. Took a trip to Charleston, loved it. It's like the ******* son of New Orleans. But seriously, life in these cities or the suburbs of them just doesn't compare to the other areas.

No lie, the south and I don't blend perfectly well. But I feel like the only one who understands the Metro division's name.

I dunno. Maybe the South isn't for everyone. Then again SC is one of the most rural places to go. Georgia is a lot different, especially the Metro Atlanta area. I hated it at first when I came here but over time I learned to love the great things about it. Property taxes at literally 1/5th of what they were on L.I., gas prices 60c less a gallon, cigarettes at $4.00 a pack and housing prices a fraction of what they are on L.I. as well.

My apartment in Atlanta that is 1200 SQ feet is at $1000 a month. A friend of mine is paying $1750 for a 550 SQ foot box in NY. Im looking at a 3,400 SQ foot home for just under $200,000. That same home would be $500,000+ on L.I.

As far as pay goes the disparity in pay isn't NEARLY as large as the disparity in cost of living. For a 1st year graduate, the position I took to stay in Atlanta with salary + commission would put me right about $70k. In NYC that same position would have paid about $82,500 (a friend of mine offered me a job at John Hancock and I politely declined). Property taxes alone would eat that increase, then factor in higher state taxes and I would be on the short end of the deal.

Im not even going to get into what it would be like living in NY as a gun owner.

There are negative parts that I cannot discuss on the boards so feel free to PM me. Ill take the bad with the good though as the good far outweighs the bad.

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
And they didn't have Center Ice back then (I was such a fanatic Ranger fan my parents would call me collect and I'd turn down the call, but we had a code so I could tell from what they said to the operator who won the Ranger game, and the score!!)

LMAO.

I'm just imagining, "You have a collect call from: 4-2 Rangers. Will you accept charges?"

"No thanks, got all I needed."

Reminds me of an old college story...

My old apartment had a buzzer / intercom thing that never worked. So there was no way to "buzz" somebody in. There was a payphone just outside the door to the building, so instructions were for guests to make a collect call to my apartment and ask for "Mr. Door" This would be the code for someone to run downstairs and open the door.

On some occasions, some knucklehead would accept the charges... Instead of a five minute major, they had to buy us a six-pack of beer...

Your long distance story is just as good...

Cheers!
-Doug

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
I dunno. Maybe the South isn't for everyone. Then again SC is one of the most rural places to go. Georgia is a lot different, especially the Metro Atlanta area. I hated it at first when I came here but over time I learned to love the great things about it. Property taxes at literally 1/5th of what they were on L.I., gas prices 60c less a gallon, cigarettes at $4.00 a pack and housing prices a fraction of what they are on L.I. as well.

My apartment in Atlanta that is 1200 SQ feet is at $1000 a month. A friend of mine is paying $1750 for a 550 SQ foot box in NY. Im looking at a 3,400 SQ foot home for just under $200,000. That same home would be $500,000+ on L.I.

As far as pay goes the disparity in pay isn't NEARLY as large as the disparity in cost of living. For a 1st year graduate, the position I took to stay in Atlanta with salary + commission would put me right about $70k. In NYC that same position would have paid about $82,500 (a friend of mine offered me a job at John Hancock and I politely declined). Property taxes alone would eat that increase, then factor in higher state taxes and I would be on the short end of the deal.

Im not even going to get into what it would be like living in NY as a gun owner.

There are negative parts that I cannot discuss on the boards so feel free to PM me. Ill take the bad with the good though as the good far outweighs the bad.

The rest of the post is helpful as always, but GOD DAMN that money. I've got a philosophy degree, but I'll be lucky if I TOP OUT at 70K.

The cost of living is the single best part. 2 bed 3 bath in a beautiful new apt for 850 a month? Yes please!

The downside is I'm pretty sure I got a haircut from a Klansman my first month down here. Certain phrases started flying, and I told him my haircut was finished, called him a bigot and walked out. Locals have told me they know of this particular man, and that they're not all like that. Good thing too, I nearly packed my bags that day.

More than anything, I miss my constant view of the Ramapo mountains. Never thought that'd be it.

ltsthinaz

Dec 20, 2011
Kingman, Arizona
The rest of the post is helpful as always, but GOD DAMN that money. I've got a philosophy degree, but I'll be lucky if I TOP OUT at 70K.

The cost of living is the single best part. 2 bed 3 bath in a beautiful new apt for 850 a month? Yes please!

The downside is I'm pretty sure I got a haircut from a Klansman my first month down here. Certain phrases started flying, and I told him my haircut was finished, called him a bigot and walked out. Locals have told me they know of this particular man, and that they're not all like that. Good thing too, I nearly packed my bags that day.

More than anything, I miss my constant view of the Ramapo mountains. Never thought that'd be it.

Give it some time. It's like walking into a new gym. The first time, no one even glances your way, but as you work out there three times a week, people at first start to come over and say hello, a bit later you start to strike up conversations, pretty soon you have a group of friends who meet to work out, and after a while you feel crappy on a day you don't go to the gym, and work out with your new circle.

Of course, you won't like everyone, but also realize that there is a lot of resentment towards the Northeast in the South and Southwest, in part fueled by a media that thinks the civilized world ends when you cross the Hudson River. People out here think differently than those in the East. I'm not saying don't walk out on a Klansman, if that's what happened, but always try to accept people as they are.

When I first came out to the desert here in Arizona, I looked down at the vast expanses of brown nothingness, and wondered how I'd ever adapt. Now you couldn't get me out of here at gunpoint. As I say, give it some time - there are nicer mountains than the Ramapos.

Drewbackatu*

After living in our beloved New York for 23 years, this Rangers fan will be moving to South Carolina in June. I never thought I'd leave New York, but I also never thought I'd Zucc in a Rangers uniform again, so goes to show how good my anticipation is.

I'd like to first off thank this forum for even existing. Hockey is the only sport I follow, and I have few people with whom I can discuss it constantly. This forum is something of a godsend, and I anticipate it will be even more so when I'm down below the Mason-Dixon.

Second, to any and all Rangers fans outside the tristate, I'm asking for advice. Is center ice worth it, or is streaming better? How are games at Raleigh? Worth a considerable drive? Anything a lifelong New Yorker can do to not look like My Cousin Vinny in the south? And on the off chance, would anyone here know of a hockey bar in or around Horry County?

I imagine a mod will eventually lock this and tell folks to PM me, but I'd appreciate it if the thread was allowed to stay open for some time, as a brief discussion between multiple posters would be more helpful than half a dozen PMs telling me the same things.

Thanks again, HFNYR

Wishing you all the best with your relocation. I have had center ice since it's inception and to me it's been worth every penny.
You should love it down there; lifestyle is way less hectic and you'll get more bang for your buck.

Take care!

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Best of luck in South Carolina, good sir. A very good poster, and still sporting an avatar that I made, which makes me feel pretty good :handclap:

HFNYR is the best. I know I'm a pill because my passion for this team gets the best of me but I really do love you guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad