OT: A Rangers Fan leaving New York

ltsthinaz

Dec 20, 2011
Kingman, Arizona
I'm fine with isolation. And I don't expect to be rich, though, I'd have to be rich in New York to live like middle class in the south, it seems.

That pizza and bagel thing, though. Damn.

I take it you are around 23 years old (said lived in beloved NY for 23 yrs). When I was about that age (actually, just before my 21st b-day), I went to live in Mexico for 4 years. They didn't have pizza or bagels or much of anything else. So I adapted to what they had and loved every minute of it, so much so that when halfway through I received an offer to go back to school in the U.S., I turned it down.

And they didn't have Center Ice back then (I was such a fanatic Ranger fan my parents would call me collect and I'd turn down the call, but we had a code so I could tell from what they said to the operator who won the Ranger game, and the score!!)

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
I take it you are around 23 years old (said lived in beloved NY for 23 yrs). When I was about that age (actually, just before my 21st b-day), I went to live in Mexico for 4 years. They didn't have pizza or bagels or much of anything else. So I adapted to what they had and loved every minute of it, so much so that when halfway through I received an offer to go back to school in the U.S., I turned it down.

And they didn't have Center Ice back then (I was such a fanatic Ranger fan my parents would call me collect and I'd turn down the call, but we had a code so I could tell from what they said to the operator who won the Ranger game, and the score!!)

LMAO.

I'm just imagining, "You have a collect call from: 4-2 Rangers. Will you accept charges?"

"No thanks, got all I needed."

Jackpot

Registered Abuser
Jul 2, 2011
Syracuse, NY
Born in Mahopac, moved to Phoenix, Seattle, Sicily, IT (3 yrs), back in Syracuse.. But will probably call the Seattle area home in 2015. That would be when my 20 yr military journey concludes, just love it in the pacific northwest.... And yes, Center Ice is worth it... :)

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
After living in our beloved New York for 23 years, this Rangers fan will be moving to South Carolina in June. I never thought I'd leave New York, but I also never thought I'd Zucc in a Rangers uniform again, so goes to show how good my anticipation is.

I'd like to first off thank this forum for even existing. Hockey is the only sport I follow, and I have few people with whom I can discuss it constantly. This forum is something of a godsend, and I anticipate it will be even more so when I'm down below the Mason-Dixon.

Second, to any and all Rangers fans outside the tristate, I'm asking for advice. Is center ice worth it, or is streaming better? How are games at Raleigh? Worth a considerable drive? Anything a lifelong New Yorker can do to not look like My Cousin Vinny in the south? And on the off chance, would anyone here know of a hockey bar in or around Horry County?

I imagine a mod will eventually lock this and tell folks to PM me, but I'd appreciate it if the thread was allowed to stay open for some time, as a brief discussion between multiple posters would be more helpful than half a dozen PMs telling me the same things.

Thanks again, HFNYR

As some one who has lived in GA for the last 9 years (since I was 16) I can tell you plenty about the south and all of its "stereotypes".

First off good move as NY (like CA) is going experience a dramatic downfall in the next few years.

Second, Center ice is very worth it. Every penny. The problem with steaming from game center is dealing with black outs and having to get around those.

I would recommend center ice every day of the week to be honest. Only downfall is that you cannot choose which feed you want. Some times you have the choice of home and away. Others you are just stuck with one feed.

Honestly Calla, PM me. Im sure I could answer every single question for you here.

Cost of living down here is dirt cheap. Gas is 40c a gallon lower on average. If you are a smoker cigarettes are $4 a pack. Property taxes are 10-15% less (if i remember correctly). You can purchase a 3000 square foot home that was built in the last 10 years for under $200,000. In NY that same house would cost you close to what $600k?

Food as a whole is cheaper. Fast food especially (not that i ever eat it) is half the price. Honestly the quality of life down here in the south is so much better. After being here for 9 years (and I was dragged down here kicking and screaming. I did not want to leave NY) I can honestly say I would NEVER go back to NY. I was offered a job out of college working as a financial advisor making around $70,000 (would have had to work in nyc) and I turned it down to make about $50,000 and stay down here.

Last edited:

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
You are very welcome. As I said, overall, once you get used to it (and, trust me, you won't likely be able to get a decent bagel or a pizza down there), you'll be gald you moved. I imaginee I'm significantly older than you, so I can remember what it was to move out of New York many years ago, but now, with satellite TV's, the Internet, etc., you can live almost anywhere in the world and get to do all your favorite things. That wasn't true years ago.

One other thing I think you might like. It is so much easier to get ahead in smaller areas and life is so much more rewarding and satisfying. Just try to accept the locals as they are and they'll love you.

People in the South do not hate New Yorkers, they don't like people who prejudge them. I have had some of the nicest experiences in my life years ago in the South, once when I was stranded in a tropical storm in the 1970's.

Wrong, wrong and false with some more wrong sprinkled on top. There are 6 NY pizza places (with two of them being owned by guys from bayville, 1 from freeport and another from Locust Valley) within 5 miles from me. As far as the bagels go... there is a NY deli about 20 minutes from me with the best bagels I have ever had. Also einsteins bagels chain is rampant down here (they are literally all over) and have some amazing bagels.

SC is no different as long as you are not moving to a place like Florence.

NewLife

Apr 29, 2011
Oslo
I have NHL game centre, all NHL games in HD quality on every possible platform. What's not to love?

ltsthinaz

Dec 20, 2011
Kingman, Arizona
Wrong, wrong and false with some more wrong sprinkled on top. There are 6 NY pizza places (with two of them being owned by guys from bayville, 1 from freeport and another from Locust Valley) within 5 miles from me. As far as the bagels go... there is a NY deli about 20 minutes from me with the best bagels I have ever had. Also einsteins bagels chain is rampant down here (they are literally all over) and have some amazing bagels.

SC is no different as long as you are not moving to a place like Florence.

I guess as New Yorkers grow up and move away from the area, they open up emporiums outside the area. I do know there is a Jewish deli in Houston, Texas that is as good as Katz's deli on the Lower East Side - they are from NY.

Where I live, the pizza and bagels are awful, though I am ablke to go to Las Vegas and get great food, but again, the ethnic food is from ex-New Yorkers.

park rangers

Optimist
Feb 7, 2009
NJ
I've been vacationing and part time living in Myrtle for 20 years. Horry is really a transplant type county as well as a heavy tourist county. The golf courses/beaches attract people from all over America.

People from Pittsburgh, Ohio, NY/NJ, and Quebec have a very noticeable presence all year round. You'll see a bunch of Pittsburgh sports bars (some have the Steelers logo on the outside of them) and you shouldn't have any trouble finding NY sports bars. I've mostly been in myrtle but in Conway and other towns I've seen a few when I pass by.

At the one golf course I always play at, the clubhouse guys have name tags that also say their hometown. Every single guy that works there is either from NY or Pennsylvania save for maybe 2 guys.

You shouldn't really feel like an outsider when you move there. But don't bring a NY attitude or try rushing through traffic (mistakes I originally made). The pace there is very slow and casual and people go out of there way to be nice.

I'm sure you'll love it and good luck! enjoy those free beaches too (damn you NJ beaches)

ltsthinaz

Dec 20, 2011
Kingman, Arizona
There is a very interesting website ranking all 50 states on personal and economic freedom. It is from the Mercatus Center at George Mason University (if you want to see it, google it, I don't have the exact web address). If you want to know why people are fleeing New York, check it out. New York ranks #50, California #49. By contrast, South Carolina is #15, Florida is #23, Arizona (where I live) is #11. It gives the criteria for the poll, as well. I am actually a little disappointed Arizona is "only" eleventh, probably Phoenix brings us down.

highandwide

It's gold Jerry.
Nov 28, 2011
NYC
Good luck to you and good for you. Hopefully it'll be a great change of pace for you. I've heard that it's really nice down there.

As for a native New Yorker, it is sad but now I'm starting to notice that most people I've come across who live here (Manhattan/Brooklyn) are transplants: whether it be for a job (job covers relocation fees), or having the luxury of dreaming big so they were able to save or having an edge previously before moving because where ever they lived before was cheaper.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
After living in our beloved New York for 23 years, this Rangers fan will be moving to South Carolina in June. I never thought I'd leave New York, but I also never thought I'd Zucc in a Rangers uniform again, so goes to show how good my anticipation is.

I'd like to first off thank this forum for even existing. Hockey is the only sport I follow, and I have few people with whom I can discuss it constantly. This forum is something of a godsend, and I anticipate it will be even more so when I'm down below the Mason-Dixon.

Second, to any and all Rangers fans outside the tristate, I'm asking for advice. Is center ice worth it, or is streaming better? How are games at Raleigh? Worth a considerable drive? Anything a lifelong New Yorker can do to not look like My Cousin Vinny in the south? And on the off chance, would anyone here know of a hockey bar in or around Horry County?

I imagine a mod will eventually lock this and tell folks to PM me, but I'd appreciate it if the thread was allowed to stay open for some time, as a brief discussion between multiple posters would be more helpful than half a dozen PMs telling me the same things.

Thanks again, HFNYR

Best of wishes and good luck.
Was a pleasure to schmooz.
sorry I can't offer too much advice on Is center ice worth it, or is streaming better?

Only thing I can say aside from satellite, which is more difficult option in cable NYC, there is now something called AEREO, or something like that, I am just checking out.

Allows TV via online I gather. May reduce bills, espc. good w/TV wifi built in.
Not sure, just sayin, if avail, may save some dough...

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Congrats on the move.

I don't have much to offer you in the way of advice because up until this point I've been exactly the guy who doesn't have the balls to give up the relative comfort I have established here for the greener pastures I think exist elsewhere. That said, I'm getting hitched in a couple of weeks and the wife and I are pretty set on moving to Portland, Oregon. Like others have mentioned, there is so much technology now that leaving behind your favorite things/teams is really a non issue.

Thanks to everyone that's contributed their stories about getting the metro area as well. Further cementing my belief that it's the right thing to do.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
I was a 3 year Gamecenter subscriber, and it's no longer worth it in my opinion.

Streamo has been great so far this season for my dad and I. I have also used hockeystreams.com and it is as good as Gamecenter, if not better because you can open the streams in VLC media player and get insane quality.

Streamo is the best option if you cannot stand being 10-30 seconds behind the live feed.

ltsthinaz

Dec 20, 2011
Kingman, Arizona
Congrats on the move.

I don't have much to offer you in the way of advice because up until this point I've been exactly the guy who doesn't have the balls to give up the relative comfort I have established here for the greener pastures I think exist elsewhere. That said, I'm getting hitched in a couple of weeks and the wife and I are pretty set on moving to Portland, Oregon. Like others have mentioned, there is so much technology now that leaving behind your favorite things/teams is really a non issue.

Thanks to everyone that's contributed their stories about getting the metro area as well. Further cementing my belief that it's the right thing to do.

Congrats on the wedding, Portland is a beautiful city, though taxes and housing prices are high there as well, the latter because of very strict zoning laws (central planning of the kind you find in New York).

In the last twenty years, fully 10% of New Yorkers have left the NY metro area - NY has slightly increased its population purely due to immigrants moving there. I'm sure that trend will only increase over the next few years.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Congrats on the wedding, Portland is a beautiful city, though taxes and housing prices are high there as well, the latter because of very strict zoning laws (central planning of the kind you find in New York).

In the last twenty years, fully 10% of New Yorkers have left the NY metro area - NY has slightly increased its population purely due to immigrants moving there. I'm sure that trend will only increase over the next few years.

You're right about the taxes, but the housing costs in Portland are still very cheap wrt NYC. Relative to many other places Portland is expensive, but I'm paying over $2k/mo for less than 700 sf in Jersey City. I can find an equivalent for half that in Portland.

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
As some one who has lived in GA for the last 9 years (since I was 16) I can tell you plenty about the south and all of its "stereotypes".

First off good move as NY (like CA) is going experience a dramatic downfall in the next few years.

Second, Center ice is very worth it. Every penny. The problem with steaming from game center is dealing with black outs and having to get around those.

I would recommend center ice every day of the week to be honest. Only downfall is that you cannot choose which feed you want. Some times you have the choice of home and away. Others you are just stuck with one feed.

Honestly Calla, PM me. Im sure I could answer every single question for you here.

Cost of living down here is dirt cheap. Gas is 40c a gallon lower on average. If you are a smoker cigarettes are $4 a pack. Property taxes are 10-15% less (if i remember correctly). You can purchase a 3000 square foot home that was built in the last 10 years for under $200,000. In NY that same house would cost you close to what $600k?

Food as a whole is cheaper. Fast food especially (not that i ever eat it) is half the price. Honestly the quality of life down here in the south is so much better. After being here for 9 years (and I was dragged down here kicking and screaming. I did not want to leave NY) I can honestly say I would NEVER go back to NY. I was offered a job out of college working as a financial advisor making around $70,000 (would have had to work in nyc) and I turned it down to make about $50,000 and stay down here.

Thanks for all the info. I realized the cost of living was less down there, but I never realized the average standard of living was so high. With so much space out there, why the hell is New York so over populated....

Treason! High treason!

If it makes you feel better, I was hoping to stand out as "That guy with the new york accent"

Congrats on the move.

Holy **** and I though I was making a big decision! Congrats! Interesting, you're not married yet, but you referred to her as wife.

Granted, I still hold the belief that marriage should be reserved as punishment for shoplifting in some countries, but I'm young and I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to feel that way, so, yeah.

But regardless, congrats and good luck with Portland!

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Thanks for all the info. I realized the cost of living was less down there, but I never realized the average standard of living was so high. With so much space out there, why the hell is New York so over populated....

If it makes you feel better, I was hoping to stand out as "That guy with the new york accent"

Holy **** and I though I was making a big decision! Congrats! Interesting, you're not married yet, but you referred to her as wife.

Granted, I still hold the belief that marriage should be reserved as punishment for shoplifting in some countries, but I'm young and I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to feel that way, so, yeah.

But regardless, congrats and good luck with Portland!

Ha! I never thought I'd pull the trigger on marriage but it happened. I like to think I went kicking and screaming, but I went...

No need to compete on the "bigness" of the decision. Away is away, takes guts whether it's 100 miles or 1000!

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
Ha! I never thought I'd pull the trigger on marriage but it happened. I like to think I went kicking and screaming, but I went...

No need to compete on the "bigness" of the decision. Away is away, takes guts whether it's 100 miles or 1000!

Truth. And for what it's worth, I'm moving for the same reason. Not marriage, but, a girl.

ltsthinaz

Dec 20, 2011
Kingman, Arizona
Truth. And for what it's worth, I'm moving for the same reason. Not marriage, but, a girl.

She's a lucky girl, and you're a lucky guy (to get the h**l out of the People's Republic of New York). As you can see from all the posts, it's always hard to leave the only place you've really known, but once you do, you realize the lifestyle is so far superior outside of the Northeast it isn't funny.

Heyoooo*

As you can see from all the posts, it's always hard to leave the only place you've really known, but once you do, you realize the lifestyle is so far superior outside of the northeast it isn't funny.

qft.

Im done with the Northeast.

Joe11

Aug 2, 2011
I'm a lifelong NYC person. I respect everyones opinion.
Things cost more here because so many people want to live here.

If you don't appreciate how much better things are here, you probably should move to parts of the country where the cost of living is less.

That being said, I could definitely live in SF or Boston.

But wherever I would be, NHL centre ice is a must, so I could follow the Rangers

Good luck with your move

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad