A question on Shane O'Brien

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDiver*

SOB is a joke. He could've developed into a great shutdown d-man but decided he would rather be Bobby Orr, or wait is he a tough guy... remember him going after the useless Matt Walker and getting beat up in the playoffs while we were already down a d-man? that's the type of stupidity the clown brought to the game each night. Selfish, ADHD, undisciplined, out of shape, mess.

SOB led all AHL defenceman in scoring during the 2006 Calder Cup playoffs with 22 points in 19 games. That was as a 23 year old.

Then he got cocky, didn't work hard enough off the ice, and thought he was an offensive star.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
SOB was one of my favourite Canucks and one of my favourite ex-Canucks, awesome guy. Can't blame him for looking forward to Vegas more than playing for that crummy Avalanche team, if that's even true, I mean who wouldn't?

Probably because your profession, especially one in which you are contracted to play for millions should take precedence over pretty much every form of off ice entertainment.

Thats the definition of maturity.

And as a leader he should be leading his team to un-crumminess. As JSG alluded to the opposite is happening.

**** guys give up family time to play.

I may be in the minority here but I'd take Alberts 8 days a week over SOB. In fact I'm not quite sure there's a single part of SOB's game that's even better then Alberts

Not more physical
Not a better skater
Not more offensive
Doesn't throw as big of hits
Isn't as dedicated
Isn't 6'5 and ripped as Alberts

...defensive awareness is one thing, but even then he's not that good hence bouncing around from team to team and being scratched from the worst team in the league :shakehead

Glad we got rid of that fat boy

Troof.

Alberts gets and has gotten far more hate than he deserves.

You know when SOB is making summer drunk fest plans for playoff time he's already checked out mentally, not planning on putting in the effort and basically just skimming by collecting pay cheques till the next time he gets to go tie one off

For that to happen he would have had to have checked in at some point in his life.

Its amazing that posters on here have criticized the nucks for having a country club atmosphere under AV when the AVs are a perfect example of country club.

yeah, I dunno I don't really have a problem with this. It's not like he chose the dates for a vacation, its a huge music festival that I'm sure alot of players would want to go to, if they weren't in the playoffs obviously.

Im sure a lot of players want to do a lot of things. Unfortunately they sign a contract to the tune of millions that they have to fulfill.

Again maturity, bro. ;)

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Take out his ego and he's a decent player, thing is, nothing will take his ego away so you end up with a crappy player.

And that's the real shame of it. He's by no means great, but if he put even half as much dedication into hockey as he does his ego, he'd actually be a fairly solid 5th defenseman.

TheDiver*

someone tell some roxy stories and liven this thread up a bit.

Sadly, most "Roxy" stories you hear about NHL players are blown out of proportion in the Jeff Brown/Kirk McLean Dan Cloutier/Porsche urban myths fashion.

King of the ES*

Personally I feel like SOB is the Bissonnette of d-men. Socialite first hockey player second. He was fun to have around but he's not a long-term franchise player. Players like Alberts and Barker are work-horse players who'll grind out minutes and are good for the locker room.

That's an insult to Bissonnette, really.

Does he have a history of being out of shape, or just doing stupid things on/off the ice? Not that I'm aware of. SOB is the kind of guy who actively tries to be the center of attention; BizNasty, on the other hand, was just enough of a character naturally for the center of attention to find him.

I'm also a bit surprised that a lot of people on this thread are saying that he's better than Alberts/Rome/Barker. I certainly don't think so, especially Alberts & Rome. Alberts is one of the most underappreciated guys on the Canucks, IMO, and I also hated losing Rome.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
I think you missed the part where he was planning it in February

Man I would trash him down to the bones for that if he was on my work team and pulled of something similar. I would not rest until we parted ways fast; me going or him, as a ultimatum further up the org.

Rome: knew his limits, AV did not. Rome is good.
SOB: did not know his limits, AV did. SOB is a SOB.
Alberts: know his limits as AV does as well. No blame at all.

mich25

Jan 23, 2013
Went to school at BC with Alberts, know him well. Good guy, but has an ego too, although he's gotten better over the years and has matured a lot. Alberts never had an ego with me, but I have seen it with others. Most bottom feeders in the NHL or guys in the AHL I find do have huge egos. It's usually the guys who come to the realization they will always be AHL players or guys who make the NHL, but are satisfied with being just a bottom pairing guy and live for the status of being an NHL player. I find the really talented guys are level headed and not egomaniacs, and really good people. My best friend's ex is in the league and one of SOB's best friends. Needless to say he is also one of those guys with lots of potential, but lazy and likes the "perks" of the NHL and being a fan favorite. Shane is not as bad as some people are making him out to be, and really just a fun guy, but he defiantly is not a "professional", and not committed. Alberts on the other hand takes hockey much more seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad