A question on Shane O'Brien

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Well played :handclap:

SOB was a good team guy though. Fought for his teammates. But he got fat over a 14 day Olympic break and was punished by the team.

His teammates must've resented him for his lack of commitment.

More like mean-mugged at guys for his teammates.

Didn't he cry to the media that the team wanted him to drop the gloves instead of playing his natural role as Bobby Orr?

lush

@jasonlush
Sep 9, 2008
Vancouver
SOB always seemed like a great guy, a guy you love and endlessly entertaining -that is unless it's your job to keep a group of men focused, motivated, in shape and professional (and he's one of them)

Cool Hand Goof*

alberts put in work learned the system , lays big ass hits

injures guys

sob is a big minus

Suroos

Apr 3, 2013
BC
Personally I feel like SOB is the Bissonnette of d-men. Socialite first hockey player second. He was fun to have around but he's not a long-term franchise player. Players like Alberts and Barker are work-horse players who'll grind out minutes and are good for the locker room.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
haha! alot of "bro-hate" on here for a hockey forum.

But actually, I think when he got more defensive responsibility in Nashville it was likely a reflection of him buckling down a bit off the ice. No real evidence to back up the claim, just seems like a logical progression to me.
bros suck. prefer to interact with adults, not boys.

One of the Avs is family of mine. Always very reserved responses regarding SoB. Won't say it, but very clear that he doesn't think highly of him. Doesn't say anything. Loves Giguere, though, nothing but praise for him.

Last edited:

NFITO

hockeyinsanity*****
Jun 19, 2002
www.hockeyinsanity.com
haha! alot of "bro-hate" on here for a hockey forum.

But actually, I think when he got more defensive responsibility in Nashville it was likely a reflection of him buckling down a bit off the ice. No real evidence to back up the claim, just seems like a logical progression to me.

they were talking about O'Brien earlier today on team radio, suggesting that the tirade that Gigeure went on was because of the type of behavior that players like O'Brien have demonstrated.

One of the issues with O'Brien - he was tweeting before the season even started that they are putting together a trip after the season is done... how much "progression" does this show? A professional hockey player talking about how excited he is about a vacation following the end of the upcoming hockey season that hasn't even started yet. Pretty clear where his priorities are.

Thank god we have a more mature group of players here. Gigeure was absolutely right in ripping his team a new one for the lack of maturity, urgency and character they've shown.

If you want to look at the actual progression of this player, you'll see a guy who didn't fit with the professional attitude and character this team was trying to establish.. went to Nashville and wasn't retained. went to Colorado, and on one of the worst defensive teams in the league, with a blueline often filled with AHLers, O'Brien is a regular healthy scratch.

Logical progression in your opinion? Maybe for a guy who's quickly playing himself out of the league.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Take out his ego and he's a decent player, thing is, nothing will take his ego away so you end up with a crappy player.

LolClarkson*

SOB enjoys a good time, as do I, but for a few million per season I am sure I could concentrate on the job at hand for 6 months.

It depends what you consider a good time. Its not like players on our team dont have their share of fun. Its the guys that go over board , where the fun turns ugly that get talked about.

LolClarkson*

Yup, a depth d-man should never be more than a low mantinence personality and player. Give me Alberts over SOB as a 6-7 D-man.

I'd take SOB over Barker though lol.

The Minnesota Wild have a buyout on Cam Barker on their books:laugh: CapGeek

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
I would imagine Giguere's comments about Vegas could be directly related to a tweet from SOB.

As per his Twitter on Feb 19th:

What a lineup for @Bonnaroo 2013. Can't wait to hit it up this summer with The Roo Crew.. @ScottieUpshall @JLupul @BizNasty2point0

Although it is not in Vegas, Bonnaroo 2013 takes place from June 13-16.Sounds as if SOB isn't planning on playing in the SCF. Then again that's a pretty safe bet.

Bro Horvat

2011 Truther
Mar 20, 2013
Vancouver
I would imagine Giguere's comments about Vegas could be directly related to a tweet from SOB.

Although it is not in Vegas, Bonnaroo 2013 takes place from June 13-16.Sounds as if SOB isn't planning on playing in the SCF. Then again that's a pretty safe bet.

yeah, I dunno I don't really have a problem with this. It's not like he chose the dates for a vacation, its a huge music festival that I'm sure alot of players would want to go to, if they weren't in the playoffs obviously.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna

They are 14 points out with 9 games to go, so they can get a max of 18 points if they won out. They would still have to get a massive amount of help on the out-of-town scoreboard, like probably a next to impossible amount of help considering that teams they are chasing will be playing each other. I think he can safely plan a June event without it conflicting with the Cup Finals. :laugh:

As for the reason for this thread, SOB fell out of favor for his off-ice antics. I can't believe people were actually talking about keeping him over Bieksa. SOB would be a serviceable 7th-8th if he could be more professional away from the rink.

Spamhuis

Mar 29, 2009
Calgary
They are 14 points out with 9 games to go, so they can get a max of 18 points if they won out. They would still have to get a massive amount of help on the out-of-town scoreboard, like probably a next to impossible amount of help considering that teams they are chasing will be playing each other. I think he can safely plan a June event without it conflicting with the Cup Finals. :laugh:

As for the reason for this thread, SOB fell out of favor for his off-ice antics. I can't believe people were actually talking about keeping him over Bieksa. SOB would be a serviceable 7th-8th if he could be more professional away from the rink.
I think you missed the part where he was planning it in February

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
I may be in the minority here but I'd take Alberts 8 days a week over SOB. In fact I'm not quite sure there's a single part of SOB's game that's even better then Alberts

Not more physical
Not a better skater
Not more offensive
Doesn't throw as big of hits
Isn't as dedicated
Isn't 6'5 and ripped as Alberts

...defensive awareness is one thing, but even then he's not that good hence bouncing around from team to team and being scratched from the worst team in the league :shakehead

Glad we got rid of that fat boy

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
You know when SOB is making summer drunk fest plans for playoff time he's already checked out mentally, not planning on putting in the effort and basically just skimming by collecting pay cheques till the next time he gets to go tie one off

Smokey McCanucks

PuckDaddy "Perfect HFBoard Trade Proposal 02/24/14
Dec 21, 2010
SOB was one of my favourite Canucks and one of my favourite ex-Canucks, awesome guy. Can't blame him for looking forward to Vegas more than playing for that crummy Avalanche team, if that's even true, I mean who wouldn't?

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
I think you missed the part where he was planning it in February

Yeah I didn't see the date of the tweet. I'm sure he would have cancelled but I agree not the best optics. SOB has never been 'accused' of being one of the more intelligent players in the game. :laugh:

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
SOB is a joke. He could've developed into a great shutdown d-man but decided he would rather be Bobby Orr, or wait is he a tough guy... remember him going after the useless Matt Walker and getting beat up in the playoffs while we were already down a d-man? that's the type of stupidity the clown brought to the game each night. Selfish, ADHD, undisciplined, out of shape, mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->