The Star: A need for speed drives Leafs captain John Tavares in summer workouts

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
So Bergeron at 37 puts up 0.9 ppg. His aav would be 8.6 mil if signed the same year as Tavares. Tavares at 31 puts up 0.96 ppg. His aav is 11 mil. So that extra 0.6 is worth 2.5 mil aav?
No... Bergeron's contract wasn't signed based on him producing like this at age 37. He wasn't even producing like this when he signed it, and usual aging curves would have seen him decline in the latter parts of the contract.
Any contract comparison of any star player to a leaf star play is always humiliating.
Not true at all, and the instances where Leaf players do look worse in comparison to somebody else usually involve ignoring the obvious reasons why.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Tavares also wasn't a 60 point player being re-signed until he was 37 though, so I don't know why you'd expect the same cap hit.

Tavares was always a big premium UFA buy meant to generate superstar hype around the franchise and a championship finishing piece on the ice. So far, the first has fizzled out and the second has yet to materialize. He will never be a great value cap wise, probably never a fan favorite, and year to year you just set an expectation for a reasonable return and cross your fingers you get something reasonable. To try and post rationalize and contextualize just causes more frustration. He is what he is.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Tavares was always a big premium UFA buy meant to generate superstar hype around the franchise and a championship finishing piece on the ice. So far, the first has fizzled out and the second has yet to materialize. He will never be a great value cap wise, probably never a fan favorite, and year to year you just set an expectation for a reasonable return and cross your fingers you get something reasonable. To try and post rationalize and contextualize just causes more frustration. He is what he is.
You're the one that tried comparing him to Bergeron for some reason, even though it really doesn't help your argument.
Signing Tavares wasn't about "generating hype". It was about adding an elite player and improving the team. And he has helped improve the team, and he brings a lot of impact.
UFAs obviously tend not to be the super best value contracts in the league - and even more-so when the cap unexpectedly stagnates right after due to a global pandemic - so I don't know why you'd expect him to be, but it doesn't make the player or signing bad.
There are still quite a few fans of Tavares who can appreciate what he brings, and I'm sure he'll have quite a few more fans if we win a cup.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
You're the one that tried comparing him to Bergeron for some reason, even though it really doesn't help your argument.
Signing Tavares wasn't about "generating hype". It was about adding an elite player and improving the team. And he has helped improve the team, and he brings a lot of impact.
UFAs obviously tend not to be the super best value contracts in the league - and even more-so when the cap unexpectedly stagnates right after due to a global pandemic - so I don't know why you'd expect him to be, but it doesn't make the player or signing bad.
There are still quite a few fans of Tavares who can appreciate what he brings, and I'm sure he'll have quite a few more fans if we win a cup.

I didn't compare him to Bergeron, I was responding someone else questioning why we're hard on Tavares whilst Bergeron gets all the flowers. It's because Bergeron has always been a lot cheaper and has won a cup. Tavares is neither a reasonable contract for what he brings, nor is he a winner so far in his Leafs career. Why he isn't unanimously loved by this fanbase begins and ends with those two factors.

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
I didn't compare him to Bergeron, I was responding someone else questioning why we're hard on Tavares whilst Bergeron gets all the flowers. It's because Bergeron has always been a lot cheaper and has won a cup. Tavares is neither a reasonable contract for what he brings, nor is he a winner so far in his Leafs career. Why he isn't unanimously loved by this fanbase begins and ends with those two factors.
Tavares hasn’t won anything. Bergeron virtually being nominated every year for the Selke and winning plus his cup. Plus he’s a proven leader, stands up for teammates and himself and highly regarded. Can play with anyone also. If you swap contracts there wouldn’t be much complaining from Boston fans considering how much he brings to the table.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Tavares hasn’t won anything. Bergeron virtually being nominated every year for the Selke and winning plus his cup. Plus he’s a proven leader, stands up for teammates and himself and highly regarded. Can play with anyone also. If you swap contracts there wouldn’t be much complaining from Boston fans considering how much he brings to the table.

Not a lot of players can live up to an $11 million AAV, and I doubt Bergeron would either, career resume and all.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
I don’t remember him winning anything on his previous team either

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Tavares is also many of those things (proven leader, highly regarded, stands up for teammates, etc.), and most of the things you said are irrelevant to his contract. Tavares was unquestionably worth more when he became UFA. If Bergeron's UFA contract as a ~60 point player was the equivalent of 11m, there would be a lot of complaining from Boston fans, and even more so if the cap stagnated right after he signed it.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I love the argument "player X scored 50% more goals/points than player Y, so his salary should be 50% more", as though goals or points were the sole criterion.

Based on that logic, who do we pay goalies at all? Not one in the league had a goal last year, and only two had more that two assists.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I love the argument "player X scored 50% more goals/points than player Y, so his salary should be 50% more"
Don't remember anybody saying that, though offensive production is obviously the primary driving factor behind forward contracts.
Based on that logic, who do we pay goalies at all?
What a weird question. Just because offensive production is a driving factor in contracts for the position looking to produce offense, that doesn't mean it's a driving factor for a position that has nothing to do with that.

• Haha

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
Tavares is also many of those things (proven leader, highly regarded, stands up for teammates, etc.), and most of the things you said are irrelevant to his contract. Tavares was unquestionably worth more when he became UFA. If Bergeron's UFA contract as a ~60 point player was the equivalent of 11m, there would be a lot of complaining from Boston fans, and even more so if the cap stagnated right after he signed it.
Tavares doesn’t stand up for teammates he continually gets punched in the face with no push back. Proven leader leads a team to success he hasn’t had success at any level where he’s been the leader. Bergeron is in a different class in many things. Tavares gets him on points that’s it.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I don’t remember him winning anything on his previous team either

laziest argument, McDavid hasn't won anything either, overpaid? It is a team game.

The trash Islander's team is the reason I want to see Tavares with two plugs on our team and not someone like Nylander, Matthews, Marner... he can drive his own line and doesn't need superstar talent to put up good numbers.

Bunting - Matthews - Marner
Jarnkrok - Tavares - NAK
Robertson - Kerfoot - Nylander
Holmberg - Kampf - Engvall

Not sure who can match that depth, Tavares really doesn't need superstars to perform.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Tavares doesn’t stand up for teammates he continually gets punched in the face with no push back. Proven leader leads a team to success he hasn’t had success at any level where he’s been the leader. Bergeron is in a different class in many things. Tavares gets him on points that’s it.
Just because Tavares doesn't come in with his arms flailing uncontrollably, that doesn't mean he doesn't stand up for his teammates. Tavares has a lot of respect in that room and around the league. There's more to winning than having good leadership. Tavares has Bergeron beat on quite a few things, and he was unquestionably worth a bigger contract when each signed their respective UFA contracts.

Reactions: GreatDayforHockey

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
Just because Tavares doesn't come in with his arms flailing uncontrollably, that doesn't mean he doesn't stand up for his teammates. Tavares has a lot of respect in that room and around the league. There's more to winning than having good leadership. Tavares has Bergeron beat on quite a few things, and he was unquestionably worth a bigger contract when each signed their respective UFA contracts.
Remember who’s talked about the few seasons when it comes to standing up for teammates. Speeza and Simmonds. Speeza is the only guy maybe outside of Rielly that has shown that leadership. If you don’t have good leaders to help the team get to where it has to go you don’t win.

I’d love to know what else aside from points Tavares has on Bergeron.

Look at Landeskog and even Bergeron for sticking up for a teammate. One thing I’ve learned in life you succeed when you stop being comfortable and being uncomfortable stepping outside the comfort zone I don’t see with this team. Matthews started with the physical play but the captain needs to start being uncomfortable.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Remember who’s talked about the few seasons when it comes to standing up for teammates. Speeza and Simmonds. Speeza is the only guy maybe outside of Rielly that has shown that leadership. If you don’t have good leaders to help the team get to where it has to go you don’t win.

I’d love to know what else aside from points Tavares has on Bergeron.

Look at Landeskog and even Bergeron for sticking up for a teammate. One thing I’ve learned in life you succeed when you stop being comfortable and being uncomfortable stepping outside the comfort zone I don’t see with this team. Matthews started with the physical play but the captain needs to start being uncomfortable.
I believe bergeron had already won a selke as well when he signed that deal with multiple top finishes on voting

I remember tavares was close to the hart one year.. but bergeron had one award maybe two already.. still had solid offensive numbers.

I dont remember what the cap was way bavk when bergeron signed his deal but i am confident i it was a relevant ebough % difference to what tavares signed for

BUT UFA !

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
There's more to winning than leadership, and there's more to leadership and standing up for your teammates than just fighting people. There's absolutely nothing to suggest that Tavares is a bad leader, and all of this is rather irrelevant to their contracts anyway.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I believe bergeron had already won a selke as well when he signed that deal with multiple top finishes on voting

I remember tavares was close to the hart one year.. but bergeron had one award maybe two already.. still had solid offensive numbers.

I dont remember what the cap was way bavk when bergeron signed his deal but i am confident i it was a relevant ebough % difference to what tavares signed for

BUT UFA !
Head to head no one is taking Tavares over Bergeron. When you factor in contracts it tips the scale even further.

mclaren55

Apr 12, 2010

BUT UFA !
What people aren’t remembering about that era of Bruins was all of them took discounts to try and win. When Chara was captain, that was a big issue for him. Making sure everyone was pulling the line together, and that meant taking discounts to keep the crew together.

So no, Tavares doesn’t have Bergeron beat. At least B was willing to take a discount to win, as were the other top tier players on that team. Something NO one on this team has done yet (except Spezza and Gio).

Reactions: ACC1224

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
What people aren’t remembering about that era of Bruins was all of them took discounts to try and win. When Chara was captain, that was a big issue for him. Making sure everyone was pulling the line together, and that meant taking discounts to keep the crew together.

So no, Tavares doesn’t have Bergeron beat. At least B was willing to take a discount to win, as were the other top tier players on that team. Something NO one on this team has done yet (except Spezza and Gio).
Exactly right.
Bruins always showed that no player is bigger than the team, a lesson Dubas has yet to learn.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Yea, they did. Chara went from 17-18%CH to 11%, Berg went from 10.5% to 8%, all of this in 2011. So how didn’t they take discounts?
That's not taking discounts. That's just being worth different amounts at different times and ages. In Chara's case, a contract through ages 29-34 is obviously going to be more than a contract through ages 34-41. The first Bergeron contract you're referring to was signed as a young, improving player coming off a promising 73 point season, and the 2nd contract you're referring to was signed after multiple concussions that threatened his career, and after falling off to a 50-55 point forward. And Bergeron soon went back up to 10%+.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
That's not taking discounts. That's just being worth different amounts at different times and ages. In Chara's case, a contract through ages 29-34 is obviously going to be more than a contract through ages 34-41. The first Bergeron contract you're referring to was signed as a young, improving player coming off a promising 73 point season, and the 2nd contract you're referring to was signed after multiple concussions that threatened his career, and after falling off to a 50-55 point forward. And Bergeron soon went back up to 10%+.
Do you believe his big deal after winning the selke was so low because boston wouldnt pay with the health risk and bergeron made a mistake signing for so many years while trying to get said health back on track

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00