A Message from Chuck

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
G leads by example, he's not a rah rah type, but the 2nd hardest worker on the team (Provorov's off season workouts are the stuff of legend), high motor, responsible. For young players looking for a role model, it would be hard to do much better.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
You can’t look at a season like last year, and expect a team to have faith in a coach after something like that. He lost them, and Fletcher tried to weed out the “disturbers”. They didn’t just lose, they got demolished in far too many games.

We have stories of how Vigneault is thought of by former players. There are videos of Therrien free for anyone to watch.

Fletcher to me is committing an unforgivable sin, similar to when Hextall decided to go in with Elliot/Neuvirth as his goalies. Even if the mix in the room was off, I’ll entertain the thought even if I don’t agree - he chose to address that but ignore the men behind the bench.

For what reason? We will never know, but Fletcher put the gun to his own head as far as I am concerned.

Unforgivable sin. He could bring in McDavid but he chose to not only ignore the biggest flaw, he doubled down on it.
Nothing wrong here. It sure looked to me like AV lost the locker room. Teams that still have it together don't get destroyed the way that the Flyers did in multiple games. From what Fletcher said on Saturday, he knows that the club has issues up and down the program. He needed to fill some holes and he has done that, we'll see how it works out. I'm willing to bet that AV told him that he needed certain guys off of the roster. Now they're gone.
AV is owed $15M for the next three seasons. That's not chump change. If Fletcher and Scott have to go to Brian Roberts and tell him that Comcast is going to have to eat that contract, they need to show that the hire was wrong and that they've tried everything possible with the man in order to save him. Now, if need be and it probably will, they've done that. So with these moves, Fletcher has taken away all of AV's excuses. It's time for him to make this thing work or he's gone.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Don't blame Sam for this one. Fletcher said changes needed to be made to the leadership group. Rob Parent asked him if, in that context, G would still be captain. A valid Q, given they just traded the longstanding Assistant Captain and Giroux's #2.

I don’t see how losing the last guy on this list would make anyone think Giroux’s captaincy was seriously in question. It was just shit stirring.

Captain: Claude Giroux
Permanent Alternate Captain: Sean Couturier
Permanent HOME Alternate Captain: Ivan Provorov
Rotating ROAD Alternate Captain: Kevin Hayes
Rotating ROAD Alternate Captain: Jakub Voracek

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Can't wait for the team to be just as listless as the last 5 years (Hakstol/AV) despite different "leadership". Will be an absolute riddle to the authentic fan
If this team is as listless as it was under the last 4 coaches we'll have another new GM and coaching staff soon.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
So with these moves, Fletcher has taken away all of AV's excuses.

I think you drastically underestimate Vigneault’s ability to unaccountably make excuses. I can’t even imagine the new ones he’s worked on all off-season because he surely hasn’t worked on systems. And he likely still has Chuckles under his thumb — they just hired his longtime assistant coach who was recently in the ECHL.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I doubt that, Chuck is already prepared to throw AV and his staff off the sleigh to the wolves if the horses are laboring.

Reactions: renberg

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I think you drastically underestimate Vigneault’s ability to unaccountably make excuses. I can’t even imagine the new ones he’s worked on all off-season because he surely hasn’t worked on systems. He likely still has Chuckles under his thumb — they just hired his longtime assistant coach who was just in the ECHL.
-The youth didn't progress
-COVID impacted offseason training
-Players not preparing for games
-Guys playing the wrong way
-Not enough practices to implement system
-Carter Hart isn't working hard enough
-Injuries
-Travel
-Leadership

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
This guy. It isn't that changes were made, it's the friggen dumb changes that were made. I am not all that upset about the Risto move tbh, if at all. But Voracek and Ghost moves are pretty bad. I understand that Ghost's value wasn't what it once was, but I don't care who you are, you figure something else out. Keep him and hope his value rebounds or just ride it out for the next two seasons with him in the minors or pressbox. We've dealt with cap crunches in the past and haven't had to pay to receive literally nothing in return. Voracek I understand was going to be a cap casualty but I just don't understand the return. A guy who is less productive, older, and on a longer (albeit not as much money) contract?

Do these moves really improve the team long term or in the here and now? I don't see how they do. I'm not going to pretend to know what was going on behind the scenes with all the teams involved, but my goodness if these were truly the only moves out there, I think you stand pat and let the team have another mediocre season fighting for the ability to be eliminated in the first round, instead of trading away assets and roster mainstays for the same projected path. It just doesn't make sense unless something else is cooking, which does not appear to be the case.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I doubt that, Chuck is already prepared to throw AV and his staff off the sleigh to the wolves if the horses are laboring.

Money talks and it says, "Be a f***ing Flyer." $15 million pays for the creative excuses. And if the horses are laboring, I'd hate to see Chuckles in self-preservation mode, if this offseason has been a glimpse.

As far as I know, Vigneault has the biggest contract of any current coach with their team. I'm not being facetious when I say that the man who gave him that -- a financial coupling, if you will -- has to be desperate to cut ties because it reflects poorly on him. And then of course, we're dealing with the guy who gave him that contract going out and finding another coach.

Last edited:

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
Money talks and it says, "Be a f***ing Flyer." $15 million pays for the creative excuses. And if the horses are laboring, I'd hate to see Chuckles in self-preservation mode, if this offseason has been a glimpse.

As far as I know, Vigneault has the biggest contract of any current coach with their team. I'm not being facetious when I say that the man who gave him that -- a financial coupling, if you will -- has to be desperate to cut ties because it reflects poorly on him. And then of course, we're dealing with the guy who gave him that contract going out and finding another coach.

purge.... its the only way to fix it

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I think you drastically underestimate Vigneault’s ability to unaccountably make excuses. I can’t even imagine the new ones he’s worked on all off-season because he surely hasn’t worked on systems. And he likely still has Chuckles under his thumb — they just hired his longtime assistant coach who was recently in the ECHL.
Watch him say...he needs a "normal" 2 seasons or more to work his magic..lol

Reactions: Beef Invictus

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Doesn't matter what AV says, it's what the team does.
He wasn't hired to preside over a rebuild, he was hired to win now.
"You win or you die" in the game of coaches.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Clearly it doesn't matter what he says.....last year they seemed to have tuned him out and I don't expect much different because people get tired of stupid crap...

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
Wouldn’t be surprised if AV pushed for Ristolainen. I think he has more personnel sway than some think.

Does not seem consistent with what he preaches or essentially what his dmen show on the ice. He seems to castrate them, more than anything.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Some people on this forum are just obsessed with bringing up the Canes. It's weird.

It's because they can go "see you analytic dummies it just doesn't work".

But if you ask me the fact the Canes are barely more the an expansion franchise as far as league wide popularity and resources and the Flyers are supposed to be a premire franchise the Flyers don't stack up very well over the last 5 years.

Reactions: Magua and Striiker

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
It's because they can go "see you analytic dummies it just doesn't work".

But if you ask me the fact the Canes are barely more the an expansion franchise as far as league wide popularity and resources and the Flyers are supposed to be a premire franchise the Flyers don't stack up very well over the last 5 years.

Don’t talk about my team like that, dude.

Not the Flyers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad