Value of: A Lucic Trade That Makes Sense?

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
That's right, because you can't retain 99%, so of course you wouldn't

In case the point went over your head, the implication was if I had the ability to get Lucic at 99% retained I wouldn't. In other words he's a waste of a roster slot. I'm well aware of what the CBA says.

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
Is the max retention 50%? Or can a 3 team trade be worked out where Edmonton eats 50% and the other team retains 25% more?

Didn't this happen with brassard last year? Or is still just to a max of 50%

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Is the max retention 50%? Or can a 3 team trade be worked out where Edmonton eats 50% and the other team retains 25% more?

Didn't this happen with brassard last year? Or is still just to a max of 50%

Max 2 retentions. 50% retention per trade. So yeah, it is possible for 2 teams to eat up 75% of his salary but it's only happened once before (Devan Dubnyk)

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
Leafs need more toughness other than Kadri to get past the Bruins and Caps
Hyman tries but not tough enough. How about Zach for Lucic and 50 % retention That would even out the salary

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Mmmmmm’K....

Doesnt really seem like a good reason.
Hear me now, believe me later.

Book it.

They're gonna roll it back. It might only be by about $5 million a year or maybe even only $4, but they're gonna roll it back.

The only way they won't roll it back is if they wanna screw the teams for some of these shitty contracts they've signed and make them lay in the bed they've made, but if they roll the cap back, they'll give every team at least one amnesty buyout.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Hear me now, believe me later.

Book it.

They're gonna roll it back. It might only be by about $5 million a year or maybe even only $4, but they're gonna roll it back.

The only way they won't roll it back is if they wanna screw the teams for some of these ****ty contracts they've signed and make them lay in the bed they've made, but if they roll the cap back, they'll give every team at least one amnesty buyout.
How does rolling back the cap help teams that have bad contracts?

I don’t think you have a good grasp on how this works.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Must be hard to know you'll lose one of

Puljuarvi
Jones
Lagesson
Yamamoto

To seattle because you had to protect Lucic!

Reactions: jellybeans

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Lucic would hold some value at 50% retention. The issue is that if they retained 50% they would just be better off holding onto him. The retention and return would most likely negate any cap savings

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Lucic would hold some value at 50% retention. The issue is that if they retained 50% they would just be better off holding onto him. The retention and return would most likely negate any cap savings

Even at 50% retention he has negative value....

Forget about the name on the jersey. Why would any team give something of value for 16 point 4th line level player signed for 5 seasons at 3 million?

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Even at 50% retention he has negative value....

Forget about the name on the jersey. Why would any team give something of value for 16 point 4th line level player signed for 5 seasons at 3 million?

Lucic as a bottom six is fine at 3 million. He's looked better lately having been taken away from the top 6. Edmonton tried to make him into something he is not.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Lucic as a bottom six is fine at 3 million. He's looked better lately having been taken away from the top 6. Edmonton tried to make him into something he is not.

Not in the slightest.

16 point pace is 4th line territory. Those players should be making 1-1.5 million at most.

People need to stop letting this guy’s reputation from like 4-5 years ago cloud their judgement about the player he is today. Odds are higher he’s out the league in a couple seasons than ever returning to form.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Leafs need more toughness other than Kadri to get past the Bruins and Caps
Hyman tries but not tough enough. How about Zach for Lucic and 50 % retention That would even out the salary

You have to be kidding right? Our left side is weak to begin with and you are gonna trade a player signed for less than 3 million that can play on any of the lines. Plays PK, can skate, does the grunt work and doesn’t take dumb penalties.

If we got him for 1-2 million and it cost us no more than a 5th perhaps.

Worst proposal I have seen in a while, bravo!

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Must be hard to know you'll lose one of

Puljuarvi
Jones
Lagesson
Yamamoto

To seattle because you had to protect Lucic!

Funny enough it’s pretty widely rumoured Montreal was extremely interested and offered him the exact same contract but he wanted to be here.

Reactions: TFHockey

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Funny enough it’s pretty widely rumoured Montreal was extremely interested and offered him the exact same contract but he wanted to be here.

Wouldn’t be surprising. The Habs and Oilers are two of the worst run organizations in the league. Perfectly logical they’d each make the same blunder if given the chance

Reactions: ChaoticOrange

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton

Don't engage Mersss, he hates the Oilers and bashes them whenever he gets the chance. Odds are he'll get banned again and we'll see Mersssss

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Don't engage Mersss, he hates the Oilers and bashes them whenever he gets the chance. Odds are he'll get banned again and we'll see Mersssss

Probably, yes.

Plenty of other teams cut deals, no reason we can’t do the same if all those guys look like they’re worth protecting. Right now we have maybe four or five forwards worth protecting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad