Value of: A Lucic Trade That Makes Sense?

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
To Seattle around the expansion draft:
Lucic
+Edmonton 2nd in 2021
+?

I've been debating to myself the value of Seattle taking Lucic's contract. I get that he will have a modified no move clause that season so Edmonton will have to protect him if they can't agree to have him waive it of take the trade. This seems like it makes sense to me but due to the uniqueness, I can't seem to come up with a trade value that matches the trade.

On one hand Seattle will have the power in the negotiations, Edmonton will have to convince Seattle it's worth it for them to eat so much cap space. On the other Seattle knows that their best value from Edmonton will be if they acquire assets on top of Lucic since 6m is just so so painful to carry for Edmonton. It'll only be for 2 years too which makes it a relatively low risk grab for Seattle if the price is right as Vegas has showed us.

So yeah, what would you pay for Seattle to take Lucic

Last edited:

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Milan Lucic has his contract built in a way where he receives a signing bonus every year on July 1st. This means his contract has less money actually owing on it than what is reflected by his cap hit. If he's traded on July 2nd next summer, there will be exactly $16m left on the final four seasons of his contract. July 2nd, 2020? $10m on the final three.

To a low payroll team, his contract is a viable way to meet the cap floor while bringing in a physical veteran forward. The Oilers will have little problem moving the contract when the time comes.

Last edited:

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
To Seattle around the expansion draft:
Lucic
Edmonton 2nd in 2021
Edmonton's best prospect in 2 years

To Edmonton
Future considerations

I've been debating to myself the value of Seattle taking Lucic's contract. I get that he will have a modified no move clause that season so Edmonton will have to protect him if they can't agree to have him waive it of take the trade. This seems like it makes sense to me but due to the uniqueness, I can't seem to come up with a trade value that matches the trade.

On one hand Seattle will have the power in the negotiations, Edmonton will have to convince Seattle it's worth it for them to eat so much cap space. On the other Seattle knows that their best value from Edmonton will be if they acquire assets on top of Lucic since 6m is just so so painful to carry for Edmonton. It'll only be for 2 years too which makes it a relatively low risk grab for Seattle if the price is right as Vegas has showed us.

So yeah, what would you pay for Seattle to take Lucic
This is absolutely nuts! You think Edmonton is going to give Seattle their best prospect and a 2nd to take Lucic??? LMAO definitely one of the stupidest deals I have ever seen on HF.

Shut this crap thread down before you insult too many Oilers fans.

Reactions: ivanlwan and 780il

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
This is absolutely nuts! You think Edmonton is going to give Seattle their best prospect and a 2nd to take Lucic??? LMAO definitely one of the stupidest deals I have ever seen on HF.

Shut this crap thread down before you insult too many Oilers fans.

You didn't read the post did you. This is a value of thread not a trade proposal. Read above where I full on state that I don't know what the value is which is why I'm asking.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
His contract is buyout proof. There is very little cap benefit in a buyout.

Yeah but you could replace him with a better player at league minimum with the cap space made in buying him out. I don't know if another team trades for Lucic even if they're looking to cheat the cap floor, he's not an NHL player.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Nah Edmonton will just buy him out when the time comes.

You can't buy out a NMC without the player approving it.

Even if Lucic did agree to it, his contract is so bonus ridden that it offers next to no cap relief.

Using 2021 as the example (since the protections for the expansion draft), buying out Lucic if he agreed would save Edmonton 1.5 million the first year, .5 million the second year and cost them .5 million against the cap for the final two years. Overall savings only 1 million (numbers rounded of course).

So yeah, buy out isn't a likely solution.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
His contract is buyout proof. There is very little cap benefit in a buyout.

First choice would be to use a compliance buyout if theyre offered again. Second choice regular buyout before lists need to be submitted.

No cap benefit now, but that changes later on.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
You can't buy out a NMC without the player approving it.

Even if Lucic did agree to it, his contract is so bonus ridden that it offers next to no cap relief.

Using 2021 as the example (since the protections for the expansion draft), buying out Lucic if he agreed would save Edmonton 1.5 million the first year, .5 million the second year and cost them .5 million against the cap for the final two years. Overall savings only 1 million (numbers rounded of course).

So yeah, buy out isn't a likely solution.

Nah that's incorrect.

"A player with a no-move must be presented with the option to be put on unconditional waivers when being bought out, but the buy-out still goes forward if they say no. Players have 24 hours to decide when given this option."

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Nah that's incorrect.

"A player with a no-move must be presented with the option to be put on unconditional waivers when being bought out, but the buy-out still goes forward if they say no. Players have 24 hours to decide when given this option."

Fair enough. I'd forgotten that, thank you for the correction

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
He would have 2 years left on his contract and the cap will be around $89m... tell me why they would waste their top prospect to get rid of that contract?

Lucic might waive his NMC... he seems like that kind of guy... I think he knows he has played anywhere close to the level of his contract. Might be wishful thinking but...
(a) he might take the stance he doesn't want to compound the hurt he has put on the team,
(b) he might feel there is no way Seattle takes him anyway (assuming his play does not pick up), OR
(c) he might accept Seattle as a place to finish his career... close to his home town.

Whether the Oilers go 8 skaters or 7F + 3D... at this point I don't see more than 7 other skaters the Oilers would need to protect anyways...
  1. Lucic NMC
  2. McDavid
  3. Draisaitl
  4. RNH (assuming we are able to re-sign him)
  5. Puljujarvi?
  6. Klefbom
  7. Larsson (assuming we are able to re-sign him)
  8. Nurse

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
He would have 2 years left on his contract and the cap will be around $89m... tell me why they would waste their top prospect to get rid of that contract?

Lucic might waive his NMC... he seems like that kind of guy... I think he knows he has played anywhere close to the level of his contract. Might be wishful thinking but...
(a) he might take the stance he doesn't want to compound the hurt he has put on the team,
(b) he might feel there is no way Seattle takes him anyway (assuming his play does not pick up), OR
(c) he might accept Seattle as a place to finish his career... close to his home town.

Whether the Oilers go 8 skaters or 7F + 3D... at this point I don't see more than 7 other skaters the Oilers would need to protect anyways...
  1. Lucic NMC
  2. McDavid
  3. Draisaitl
  5. Puljujarvi?
  6. Klefbom
  8. Nurse

Fair point. I can't see Jones making it through this season without getting a considerable callup, he'll like need to be protected but between now and 2021 they'll figure that out. Still means Yamamoto would be exposed but when you put it that way, that takes value from Seattle's bargaining table

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

1. Lucic NMC
  2. McDavid
  3. Draisaitl
  5. Puljujarvi?
  6. Klefbom
  8. Nurse
Oilers don't even need to protect Larsson if they can make a handshake deal with him and sign him on the day he becomes a UFA.

Expansion draft fear is overhyped.

debil

Sep 23, 2006
why would anyone pay something for lucic? It should be Lucic + for no return just for the sake of getting rid of him and his contract

Reactions: SlapshotTheMovie

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
Trading our best prospect would be a mistake, as having appreciable production from players on their affordable ELCs will offset Lucic's cap hit.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
why would anyone pay something for lucic? It should be Lucic + for no return just for the sake of getting rid of him and his contract

That's what the idea above says. What would a fair price be in your opinion.

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
Vegas laid the groundwork for the next expansion draft and it is HIGHLY unlikely that Seattle will be going after Lucic type players. They will be targeting fast players with decent hands that have not been given an opportunity by their previous teams. I really doubt that they will want to through an anchor like Lucic into that type of environment. Won't happen.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Oilers don't even need to protect Larsson if they can make a handshake deal with him and sign him on the day he becomes a UFA.

Expansion draft fear is overhyped.
Yep Larsson is a pending UFA and Bouchard will be exempt. Oilers are again in a great spot in terms of the draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad