Value of: A Lucic Trade That Makes Sense?

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Lucic for Seabrook? Swap bad contracts?
That could work. Hawks retain so money is even. Seabrook has an extra year (of course also retained - CBA). Hawks save a little bit each year and are out 1 year early. Oilers pay more but not much. Note that Lucic is a 4th liner while for all the dumping on him Seabrook is still an "ok" 2nd pair guy. What a great guy to have around younger players, his benefit would be more than the way he plays.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Why would the players agree to that? Not a chance.
Because they do every other chance? If the owners and the league want the salary cap rolled back, they'll give every team an amnesty buyout, if not two.

They did the last two times.

The only way there won't be amnesty buyouts is if the cap isn't rolled back. To get everyone cap compliant (because there will be a lot of teams that aren't if the cap is rolled back a few million or more), they'll give a freebie buyout or two to every team.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I would trade with you as Detroit. But you have to take two of Nielsen/Abdelkader/DeKeyser. All guys have a NTC which is the worst part and yeah you do lose some cap space if you're Edmonton. Nielsen is by far the most useful peace here. Useful player, overpaid but useful and he would help give Edmonton depth and does well in all special teams roles in my opinion. DeKeyser probably draws into your D and helps a little. I assume everyone would pass on Abdelkader here. But we take Abdelkader-Glendening-Lucic and play it as a rough and extremely overpaid fourth line. We actually free up a little cap room in the process and get out from two contracts that are really bad for a rebuilding team but have some use if placed in the correct roles. Also players I think Hitch would have some use for.

Reactions: FMichael

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
Not really. Cap’s going up by 4 mil, Sekera and Russell can be asked for trade lists soon, Talbot certainly hasn’t earned another big deal, nor has Puljujarvi. Spooner only has 2 years. There’s more room there. We won’t be able to add big name FA’s, but improvements are coming from within.
I've been reading that for years

EDM needs depth at forward and defense and they need a goalie (unless Talbot turns it around)

with the flaws they have, why are they so close to the cap, it's not good

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
To Seattle around the expansion draft:
Lucic
+Edmonton 2nd in 2021
+?

I've been debating to myself the value of Seattle taking Lucic's contract. I get that he will have a modified no move clause that season so Edmonton will have to protect him if they can't agree to have him waive it of take the trade. This seems like it makes sense to me but due to the uniqueness, I can't seem to come up with a trade value that matches the trade.

On one hand Seattle will have the power in the negotiations, Edmonton will have to convince Seattle it's worth it for them to eat so much cap space. On the other Seattle knows that their best value from Edmonton will be if they acquire assets on top of Lucic since 6m is just so so painful to carry for Edmonton. It'll only be for 2 years too which makes it a relatively low risk grab for Seattle if the price is right as Vegas has showed us.

So yeah, what would you pay for Seattle to take Lucic
Lucic holds all the power

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I honestly just feel bad for the guy at this point. He’s not playing poorly, he just couldn’t put a puck into the ocean if he was standing on the beach.

Perfect example tonight. Good physical game, picked up an assist. Puck came to him WIDE OPEN, goalie had no hope in hell... rang it off the post. The whole building sounded like it had the air let out of it.

Reactions: A91

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
I would trade with you as Detroit. But you have to take two of Nielsen/Abdelkader/DeKeyser. All guys have a NTC which is the worst part and yeah you do lose some cap space if you're Edmonton. Nielsen is by far the most useful peace here. Useful player, overpaid but useful and he would help give Edmonton depth and does well in all special teams roles in my opinion. DeKeyser probably draws into your D and helps a little. I assume everyone would pass on Abdelkader here. But we take Abdelkader-Glendening-Lucic and play it as a rough and extremely overpaid fourth line. We actually free up a little cap room in the process and get out from two contracts that are really bad for a rebuilding team but have some use if placed in the correct roles. Also players I think Hitch would have some use for.
And lil'Bert has a face punching buddy in Lucic.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Milan Lucic has his contract built in a way where he receives a signing bonus every year on July 1st. This means his contract has less money actually owing on it than what is reflected by his cap hit. If he's traded on July 2nd next summer, there will be exactly $16m left on the final four seasons of his contract. July 2nd, 2020? $10m on the final three.

To a low payroll team, his contract is a viable way to meet the cap floor while bringing in a physical veteran forward. The Oilers will have little problem moving the contract when the time comes.

But why would anyone wanna pay him anything with the way he’s trending?

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
But why would anyone wanna pay him anything with the way he’s trending?
Because other teams also have contracts they'd prefer not to have at positions they have other options for. A Lucic trade would be creative, but there are no doubt ways to alleviate a significant amount of that cap hit in the future.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Coyotes would probably love him, he's owed peanuts in actual money and would be worth the 3.5 a year he's owed as an actual tough guy quasi enforcer so Lawson Cruise can finally develop. They could play him 12-14 minutes a night in that system and not get burned. He's still solid for what he is just has Gomez like finish but you don't need finish to lay people out or punch faces .

I am I

Feb 18, 2010
Coyotes would probably love him, he's owed peanuts in actual money and would be worth the 3.5 a year he's owed as an actual tough guy quasi enforcer so Lawson Cruise can finally develop. They could play him 12-14 minutes a night in that system and not get burned. He's still solid for what he is just has Gomez like finish but you don't need finish to lay people out or punch faces .

The 'Yotes have over $20M in injury reserve on tap through the to the end of the 2020-2021 season. Why do they need a overpriced 4th liner?

Aside have you looked at their CapFriendly page? Holy crap it is crazy!

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
The 'Yotes have over $20M in injury reserve on tap through the to the end of the 2020-2021 season. Why do they need a overpriced 4th liner?

Aside have you looked at their CapFriendly page? Holy crap it is crazy!

Cap keeps growing and Bolland's 4 million off expires next year

He's also probably a 3rd liner for them and a very useful one given that most of the team is a bunch of soft injury prone kids.

I am I

Feb 18, 2010
If the owners want them, they will happen.

They can really only justify compliance buyouts to comply with a lower cap. But realistically the cap isn't going to be the issue and I don't think the owners want to erase half the season to obtain free buyouts...

At this point what are the big issues? Lowering contracts to 5 years? Is that even what they want? Makes it harder for small markets to retain talent. Signing bonuses? Do the owners even care? Same money at the end of the year. I'm kind of at a loss as to what is important enough to wipe out a season or even part of one ... Revenues are good, league is growing, new expansion money, the illusion of parity is strong.

Players hate escrow, but they aren't striking over it. What else do they want?

For once I don't see an issue either side is willing to give up a billion dollars to "fix"

I am I

Feb 18, 2010
Cap keeps growing and Bolland's 4 million off expires next year

He's also probably a 3rd liner for them and a very useful one given that most of the team is a bunch of soft injury prone kids.

I don't want to speak for the Yotes needs but they are already at $59M towards the cap next season with only 11 players signed and just under $40M with 5 the next... I think their cap flooring is in good shape the next couple seasons at least.

I'm not saying they won't take him, only that they don't need his cap hit.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Because they do every other chance? If the owners and the league want the salary cap rolled back, they'll give every team an amnesty buyout, if not two.

They did the last two times.

The only way there won't be amnesty buyouts is if the cap isn't rolled back. To get everyone cap compliant (because there will be a lot of teams that aren't if the cap is rolled back a few million or more), they'll give a freebie buyout or two to every team.
Why are they rolling the cap back?

Belzebob

Apr 10, 2016
lucic, some protection for marner and nylander……...for

Matthews and reilly.

natthews then gets flipped to Arizona for another defenceman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad