Post-Game Talk (GBU): A lot to dislike

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
This team has a lot to learn. There was, once again, a ton of turnover this offseason. It's preseason, lines are changing constantly and there's offseason rust to shake off. They probably won't be on the same page for a little while, especially the young guys.

That being said, the overall talent level is better and deeper. Overall team speed got a boost. And will even moreso throughout the year as a stacked Rochester group settle in, get their call ups... and then next year when more spots open up for them permanently.

I'm not holding my breath that they'll be world beaters this year, this game was a good wake up call there... but I just hope they don't repeat the start of last year.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Jack is without a doubt the better talent. Matthews definitely has a case as the better player though (for now)
I don't get this? are you using the word talent for potential? Matthews is the better player as of now.

Matthews controlled that game last night and led the Marlies to a win over our main squad.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
G: Hutton looks like a real bonafide #1 goalie

Bad:

Erod - This guy has played his heart out for the Sabres the last couple years, but he's a marginal talent at best, if he makes the team and is getting lots of ice time we're in for another bottom 5 finish. We need our more talented prospects to step up and earn a spot over a guy like this or we're going nowhere.

Okposo - Has a nose for where to be to get the puck on his stuck, but doesn't have the hands or speed or skill anymore to make the next play. Puck died on his stick so many times. We need someone to step up into his spot who can make those plays. He's not an awful player, he's just way overpaid and in over his head on the 1st or 2nd line.

Larson- didn't look bad, but if he's making this roster we're in for another awful season. He's another one of those players that needs to gets pushed out of the line up by our young talent.

Beaulieu- replace with Pilut yesterday

Bogo - slow, rusty, played with no confidence. I wonder if he can bounce back?

Risto - looked good until he passed the puck into the slot directly to a Toronto player

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
I don't get this? are you using the word talent for potential? Matthews is the better player as of now.

Matthews controlled that game last night and led the Marlies to a win over our main squad.
Matthews is an absolute phenom in the details of the game that lead to winning hockey. Jack is more talented IMO in that he has more raw dynamic ability (skating, passing, vision, etc). Matthews has a better shot by a bit and more importantly he uses the talent that he does have a lot more consistently than Jack does at this point, which makes him more effective to date.

Reactions: DJN21

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
It is pre season. For star players it means little. Eichel will be a 80 point stud all season..no worries here.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
And his 2 points in 7 games in his 2nd year?
Matched up against the Bergeron line (best shutdown line in hockey) and Chara...it happens, they held Crosby pointless in their playoff series a few years ago

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
Bogo does look like a hunched over gorilla out there. It's a very awkward sight and even his skating looks a bit labored. It's too bad he won't be seeing as many minutes as possible to see if the rust will wear off due to his injury susceptibility.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Last night's lineup played fine. Keep on blaming coaches.

When Botterill makes his final roster decisions he needs to err on the side of new blood, the group that has been through several seasons of ineptitude and losing needs to be broken up.

If this team is struggling still at the 20 game mark then Housley should be fired but the next coach better be a veteran coach who is a tough mothereffer - Darryl Sutter.

Don't have enough a sample size to really know how well the lineup played Saturday. I saw the 1st two periods of Friday night's game at Toronto. I really liked our breakout and attack thru the NZ. Short crisp passes, nice D to D coordination, good support through out. We showed some speed and aggression on the forecheck. Was feeling pretty good about that in spite of Tavares goals. Saturday night in the 3rd not so much although I realize that if the Sabres capitalized early in the 3rd - Skinner wide on an open net, Babcock manages his bench differently.

I'm not arguing for Housley's ouster..... Way too early for that. But I've seen enough to realize Phil's no master coach/hall of famer. Botts will be bringing in someone else when the time is right. Or sooner.....

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Matthews is an absolute phenom in the details of the game that lead to winning hockey. Jack is more talented IMO in that he has more raw dynamic ability (skating, passing, vision, etc). Matthews has a better shot by a bit and more importantly he uses the talent that he does have a lot more consistently than Jack does at this point, which makes him more effective to date.

Matthews is Jack Eichel's impact on the game + Reinhart's mind. Matthews actually plays the game a lot closer to a Reinhart than an Eichel. I would take Matthews' game over Eichel's game because Matthews tends to stay in the "low risk, high reward" areas of the ice (near the slot, on top of the crease) if that makes sense. He's highly effective in his game because of that.

Reactions: Rasmi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad