Post-Game Talk (GBU): A lot to dislike

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Only saw the 3rd period but once the Leafs scored, Babcock had his players really uptempo the forecheck and they harassed the Sabres D the rest of the game. They also closed down the NZ and any further sustained Sabres puck possession and control was largely absent. Toronto knew what they were doing. The Sabres could not/did not counter and adjust. I believe the Leaf's hit the post and the outside of the net on 2 shots that could have scored. Plus Risto's brainfart give away pass to the slot that Hutton was quick on. Sabres had few opportunities after that. It's the old story of one team knowing its system inside out and the other team not knowing how to adjust.

To me that does say something about coaching. I haven't tuned in for a while but I don't recall Housley being referred to extensively as a greatly respected "teaching coach".

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
Yeah Dahlin was not good tonight, but these types of games can be good for young players. He's starting to get an idea of what plays he can and can't make at the NHL level. Some of the stuff that worked in Sweden will not work here.

Reactions: Kelly

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Only saw the 3rd period but once the Leafs scored, Babcock had his players really uptempo the forecheck and they harassed the Sabres D the rest of the game. They also closed down the NZ and any further sustained Sabres puck possession and control was largely absent. Toronto knew what they were doing. The Sabres could not/did not counter and adjust. I believe the Leaf's hit the post and the outside of the net on 2 shots that could have scored. Plus Risto's brainfart give away pass to the slot that Hutton was quick on. Sabres had few opportunities after that. It's the old story of one team knowing its system inside out and the other team not knowing how to adjust.

To me that does say something about coaching. I haven't tuned in for a while but I don't recall Housley being referred to extensively as a greatly respected "teaching coach".

Last night's lineup played fine. Keep on blaming coaches.

When Botterill makes his final roster decisions he needs to err on the side of new blood, the group that has been through several seasons of ineptitude and losing needs to be broken up.

If this team is struggling still at the 20 game mark then Housley should be fired but the next coach better be a veteran coach who is a tough mothereffer - Darryl Sutter.

Reactions: Fearnot

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Reinhart continued to look strong on his skates and in puck battles. Liked seeing him man handle Ennis along the wall in our own zone. Now that he is maturing physically he's gonna be a beast. I thought he was our best skater tonight by quite a bit.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Eichel looked pretty good.
Reinhart looked like ppg Reinhart, with a little rust, but looked assertive.
Skinner, nice, showed the quickness a couple times.
Thompson continues to look like the 2nd best rw on the team.

Didn’t mind any of Dahlin’s screw ups. Pretty much everything happened on aggressive plays or ones where he needs a touch more urgency. Good learning experience and he recovered well on most of the mistakes.

Bogo looked like a nervous hunched over grandpa.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
G
Jack; faceoffs, playmaking, he looked good
Reinhart
Larsson
Skinner
McCabe
Hutton

Meh:
Bogo
Wilson
Thompson

B:
Dahlin
Beaulieu
Ristolainen
Rodrigues

U:
Okposo

Risto? He had a tape to tape pass to someone in slot at key moment in third -- let's not be picky because it was a Leaf.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
UGLY:

The amount of Toronto fans that attend turning our homes games into theirs, its gotta be demoralizing on the players getting cheered against in your own barn.

Were you at the actual game? I was. Place was half empty and tons of tickets available for $20 for so-called Sabres fans. Just an excuse for a team that needs to get better.

Reactions: Fearnot

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Don't forget, a lot of players do not really care about pre-season games, especially thos who know they have a sure spot in the opening day lineup.

This also affects everyone else, since it is hard tio play alongside those who only go 80% and don't fight for positions, pucks, passes or shots.

There are also quite a few new players that have to learn the system and find chemistry with linemates.

Buffalo will do good this season.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
G- Sam. Would like to see him centering Skinner on 2nd line

B- most of the defense but it feels like its the combos and not the individuals

U-Leaf that punched Tage on the ice
- Okposo looked like Gorges

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
This game was a bit of an indictment of the 'old guard'. When it came for those players to outplay the Marlies, they were unable to make anything happen.

The zone entries were terrible. Yes Dahlin had a bad game, but there were times when he was ready to go, and no one was finding him. They need to understand he's Eichel, and you give him the puck when he wants to attack.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
This game was a bit of an indictment of the 'old guard'. When it came for those players to outplay the Marlies, they were unable to make anything happen.

The zone entries were terrible. Yes Dahlin had a bad game, but there were times when he was ready to go, and no one was finding him. They need to understand he's Eichel, and you give him the puck when he wants to attack.
That's one thing that most definitely will come in short order. In their previous game, Eichel was constantly trying to set Dahlin up.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
It really does suck. They should only sell tickets to Buffalo residents, but that's not really realistic. Not really sure what else can be done about it, with the secondary market and such.

Leafs are the most unlikeable team and fanbase in sports, they make the Pats look like angels
The only thing that could reasonably be done about it is get back to 100% season ticket capacity (if we were ever there, not sure) so there are limited single game tickets for all the Laffs fans to snap up.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
This board gives me whiplash sometimes.

I didn’t think the game was that damning.

I didn't either. Reinhart had a solid 1st game back. Hutton proved he was our starter. I think we have a legit top NHL line now. (Skinner-Eichel-Reinhart) Bailey was solid.

Were there some bad points? Yeah. Our effort as a whole sucked. Okposo is a black hole 5v5. Dahlin had a forgettable game. Matthews/Ennis clowned us several times.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I didn't either. Reinhart had a solid 1st game back. Hutton proved he was our starter. I think we have a legit top NHL line now. (Skinner-Eichel-Reinhart) Bailey was solid.

Were there some bad points? Yeah. Our effort as a whole sucked. Okposo is a black hole 5v5. Dahlin had a forgettable game. Matthews/Ennis clowned us several times.

I didn’t see this last game, but I keep hearing how bad the effort was at certain points. This is my opinion, but as a team that had culture issues and whose goal is to improve the culture around the team, the very last thing I want to hear about is questionable effort. I can stomach losses because difference of talent or better coaching. There is no reason as an organization we should still have questions about effort.

That was a trait of our team for years. I know people love Dahlin because he works his butt off. But when I look at it the team it would be much easier for the current roster and bad habits influence Dahlin, than Dahlin influencing 18+ other players to work hard. Do we have enough positive influencers for good habits? Do we have the coaching staff and standards that influence consistent play of hard work? This year we will see. Just my two cents.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I didn’t see this last game, but I keep hearing how bad the effort was at certain points. This is my opinion, but as a team that had culture issues and whose goal is to improve the culture around the team, the very last thing I want to hear about is questionable effort. I can stomach losses because difference of talent or better coaching. There is no reason as an organization we should still have questions about effort.

That was a trait of our team for years. I know people love Dahlin because he works his butt off. But when I look at it the team it would be much easier for the current roster and bad habits influence Dahlin, than Dahlin influencing 18+ other players to work hard. Do we have enough positive influencers for good habits? Do we have the coaching staff and standards that influence consistent play of hard work? This year we will see. Just my two cents.
If this trend continues, I predict Chris Taylor is the Sabres coach by New Year’s Day.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY

That was the story of last year, and why I was very disappointed last night. I can take another non-playoff season. I can't take another 2017-2018 season, where we phone in 75% of the games on effort.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad