Post-Game Talk (GBU): A lot to dislike

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I didn’t see this last game, but I keep hearing how bad the effort was at certain points. This is my opinion, but as a team that had culture issues and whose goal is to improve the culture around the team, the very last thing I want to hear about is questionable effort. I can stomach losses because difference of talent or better coaching. There is no reason as an organization we should still have questions about effort.

That was my big takeaway. That said, the Leafs were playing a LOT of guys on the bubble, and we weren't. A few of our bubble guys -- most notably Bailey and Wilson -- played well.

Yes, it's preseason. Yes, many of the Leafs had a lot to play for. But holy cow did the Matthews line just dominate. The Eichel line had its moments, but not like that.

If we get efforts like that in the regular season.......yikes.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
That was my big takeaway. That said, the Leafs were playing a LOT of guys on the bubble, and we weren't. A few of our bubble guys -- most notably Bailey and Wilson -- played well.

Yes, it's preseason. Yes, many of the Leafs had a lot to play for. But holy cow did the Matthews line just dominate. The Eichel line had its moments, but not like that.

If we get efforts like that in the regular season.......yikes.

I get what you’re saying but if this organization is serious about competition, then guys on the bubble AND guys not on the bubble SHOULD be bringing it. That’s how you improve competition within and in turn improve your team.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Last nights game just felt like a bad omen. So much roster turnover but we looked like the exact same unpolished product as last year. The Leafs looked like a well oiled machine and we looked like a bunch of individuals who didn't know where each other were going to be.

Hopefully it was just a bad game and a lot of rust and we can move on. Go Sabres

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Wonder if you'll be singing this tune when Matthews disappears in the playoffs again.
5 points (4 goals) in 6 games in his rookie year against the President's trophy winners but you got your agenda.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
At least he is good enough to get to the playoffs. No one knows what happens to Jack in the playoffs.
If Eichel ended up in Toronto with that talent and coaching and Matthews ended up here with our talent and coaching do you seriously think T Dot misses the playoffs and we make it? I mean for God's sake can we not be ridiculous here?

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
If Eichel ended up in Toronto with that talent and coaching and Matthews ended up here with our talent and coaching do you seriously think T Dot misses the playoffs and we make it? I mean for God's sake can we not be ridiculous here?
Eichel would be relegated to fourth line winger minutes because he's such a disaster in his own zone.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Eichel would be relegated to fourth line winger minutes because he's such a disaster in his own zone.
You're right, Jack totally sucks. Let's see if we can find someone who will take him off our hands for a 4th rounder because he's the guy really holding this team back.

Reactions: Dingo44

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Get rediculous? because you cant accept the fact Matthews is a better talent than Eichel? But it's all the team right? Matthews elevated Ennis last night for them to shit on us and we are waiting to see how Eichel does with better linemates.

Reactions: wunderpanda

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Get rediculous? because you cant accept the fact Matthews is a better talent than Eichel? But it's all the team right? Matthews elevated Ennis last night for them to **** on us and we are waiting to see how Eichel does with better linemates.
Jack is without a doubt the better talent. Matthews definitely has a case as the better player though (for now)

Last edited:

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Get rediculous? because you cant accept the fact Matthews is a better talent than Eichel? But it's all the team right? Matthews elevated Ennis last night for them to **** on us and we are waiting to see how Eichel does with better linemates.
Pominville is a 15+ goal scorer with Eichel. Eichel is nearly PPG regardless of who he plays with.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
If I want to hear people talk about how much Jack sucks in comparison to Matthews I'll go to the main board and check out one of the 3,247 threads created by trolling T Dot fans.

bodechek

Oct 10, 2017
It is only preseason, give the team time. I think the Sabres will be asking too much of Mittlestadt and Dahlen by expecting them to make an instant impact on the team.

As for Eichel and Matthews, both are good friends and great competitors. It should be fun to watch both go head to head for years to come.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Last nights game just felt like a bad omen. So much roster turnover but we looked like the exact same unpolished product as last year. The Leafs looked like a well oiled machine and we looked like a bunch of individuals who didn't know where each other were going to be.

Hopefully it was just a bad game and a lot of rust and we can move on. Go Sabres
I truly didn’t see it like that.

It wasn’t good. But it didn’t stink of last season to me. Little things look different - second man in on PP loose puck retrieval. More overall foot movement. Guys in better position in our zone. Way more confident with the crease situation.

I think the thing that stands out as complete shit to me is the breakout, which should settle down by default when the same d corps and same forwards get used to practicing with each other more. Lot of new faces.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->