Friedman: A lot of NHL executives are already calling Radko Gudas a future Leaf.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
At $2.345M/yr, after retention, Gudas was OK for the Capitals this year. Nothing special, but he wasn't brought in with enormous expectations either. The cost-to-performance ratio was alright. I liked him more early on, and he regressed a bit over the course of the season. He was brought in to be much cheaper than Niskanen, in a cap move that yet left Washington with a top-six veteran on defense. In that light, the transaction made sense.

I'd want to take care when thinking of my ceiling in any negotiations with him on the UFA market. He's a third pairing guy who can supplement other players on your club who already provide a snarl role. In Toronto, I suspect he'd be expected to do more than he is capable, in terms of overall minutes, in terms of the enforcer role, the works. This is a secondary or tertiary player, one who is useful, but not more than that.

He'd just need to be a solid 3rd pair guy that can help Sandin develop

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Nobody is going to pay Gudas $3.5. That's at least a million more than he's worth and probably $1.5 million more than he's worth.

Gudas is not the type of player you trade someone away to fit into your lineup.

For once we agree, I don see Gudas getting 3.5 million

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Toronto has 6 open roster spots and 4 mill to spend. So who do they cut or trade to have room for him? Even at 2 mill per they need to make room.

It's all but guaranteed that the 9 million dollar 3rd line gets dismantled this offseason.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Even though his age I think bring him back and he’d probably take a discount to come back.

Ron Hainsey.

Move Johnsson / Holl / Dermott

Then sign Demelo and Gudas. They aren’t sexy names but the offense will still come from the backend but major hits and physicality and clearing the net.

Rielly Hainsey
Muzzin Demelo
Sandin Gudas
Marincin

That’d be cheaper options while also steady and a more reliable defense. The cost would allow flexibility.

I think Tanev and Brodie will still be too much to fill that right side.

Personally I have never been interested in Demelo

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I certainly hope that this offseason isn't simply dump one of Johnsson/Kapanen, sign Gudas.....

With that said, people dunking on Holl over a few bad games need to shake their heads. His body of work over the season says more than a few bad games without Muzzin. No one on the Leafs would have performed well under those circumstances. He makes $2M a year, not $6M. For the Leafs to have a sniff they needed basically perfect health for the D, that didn't happen. If it would have been Rielly it would have been the same mismatch and we'd be throwing Sandin or Dermott or whomever under the bus.

If they trade Kapanen it's in a fairly big trade that brings back a Right D he's not being dumped.

Johnsson might be dumped because Robertson looks to be ready to take his spot.

but not Kappy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad