A. Kostitsyn vs A. Galchenyuk

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
  • Who was the most talented in your opinion? Kostitsyn, more the total package.
  • Which one you considered the best, at their peak? Galchenyuk has 30 goals, played C for some time, despite not optimal
  • If you could bring one back, which one would it be? You dont have to ---- Looking back, I feel like Galchenyuk had a bad vibe. Kostitsyn, I know there were stories about drugs and montreal crime with his brother (and Hamrlik) but I feel like he was a quiet one. He liked Kovalev. He thought he was going to score like 35 after his 26 goal year.
  • Which one was the biggest disappointment for you? Galchenyuk Why? Picking a 18 year old star center 3rd overall, who has a great rookie year, goes on to score 30 goals shortly after, who coaches seems to not like but who you like the potential and skillset. But after a few years, you see what the coach didn't like and the offense peaks and other teams figure you out, you get exposed and... there he is today, playing on his 4th NHL team. He did better than his Sarnia teammate though....

Reactions: Fenris

Sword

May 26, 2014
AK -Eller -Moen was an underrated line. AK was the reason why Eller scored those 4 goals against the Jets, he made him some great passes that night.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
I miss AK46. He never became what we all hoped, and was inconsistent, but I wish we had a 2nd line LW with his talent and stature right now.

I will always think that his epilepsy meds took away that half second he needed to be dominant, because at times you could really see the potential to dominate the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fixxer

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I really thought Kostitsyn was going to be something special for us for years, but as others have said he wasn't the same after that hit. That said he was a lot of fun to watch in Hamilton with Grabo. I had wondered if he didn't work hard enough, since his family was well off money wise if I recall correctly.

I had such high hopes for a Kostitsyn Grabo Perezhogin line, really thought each would be solid 2nd liners for us. oh well.

Galchenyuk I wonder more about his off-ice problems and how his family has impacted his career. I just don't get how he went from scoring 30 goals to busting hard, although I heard Wild fans say they were happy with him and wanted him to return so maybe he just needs the right fit as clearly Julien wasn't a fan and neither was the Pens coach.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
As a winger, Andrei was much better. I think someone said it best when they said his lows were much lower and highs much higher.

Andrei made huge strides in his game away from the puck under Martin. He played a pretty responsible role alongside Plekanec.

I'm sure the Kostitsyns had a ton of off ice issues. These don't look like a healthy faces:

20531.jpg

Last edited:

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Both players had high talent level, but what should have seperated andrei apart was that he was built like a tank. Andrei probably would have gone higher in a typical draft pool, but he ended up in a draft class that still gets talked about today.

It looked like andrei turned the corner in 07/08, but as others have said, he looked like a different player after that headshot he suffered.

Last edited:

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Andrei was my favorite player at the time. It’s a shame that he couldnt put everything together.

I remember AK’s behind the back pass to Plekanec on a breakaway.

Also his two incredible goals against Washington and Atlanta.

That backpass on a breakaway to plekanec is one of the most unique goals I've ever seen. Man, that team was fun to watch.

The other andrei goal I remember was not pretty, but it was game 7 against Boston in 08. He found the puck infront of the net while in a scrum, and somehow wired the puck top shelf so quickly, that you couldn't even tell he found the puck in the first place.

The release in that situation was just remarkable.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Andrei Kostitsyn had one of the best shots/shot releases in the NHL, he was money when he had room to unleash his shot. I think that his commitment level or lack thereof was what held him back the most. He certainly could have been a great player but he didn't put the work in. Just my opinion.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
What a great great question, now that enough Data has been compiled, its CLEAR kostitsyn (wow dont miss trying to spell that one ) was the better all around player to me, I could rely on at least 25 goals from AK every time, but amazingly with Galchenyuk, who i definitely thought would be a more special player, hell you couldnt tell if he would even hit 20 goals in a season most of the time...and just so damn slow...

Bottom line, its just a damn shame they both loved the nose candy
Kos tits yn ....

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
AK all day. I miss that prime Kostitsyn - Plekanec - Kovalev line so much. I haven't felt the same about the Habs since those days.
Also, I was at that game where he buried Lucic :naughty: Good times.

This is one of my favourite goals

Same

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Kostitsyn was better in every aspect than Galchenyuk. They both however have/had the consistency of diarrhea.

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
Shot:
Both had great shots but shitty delivery and taking ages to shoot. Kostitsyn had a slightly better shot though (more heavy and precise)

Hands:
Galchenyuk no doubt. Kostitsyn did score with amazing deke but he was least efficient than Gally.

Vision:
Both were very average but I would say Gally.

Work ethic:
Galchenyuk in a landslide. Gally might not be a high intensity guy on the ice but off ice he definitely always was/is in great shape. Kostitsyn always looked overweight.

Skating:
Both were below average skater. I say tie.

Strenght/Physicality:
Kostitsyn, even though he was overweight and definitely not as strong as Gally, he was way more physical.
Also

Skullet: Kostitsyn

Reactions: Le Tricolore

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I don't remember AK's delivery being shitty. I remember his shot being magical. He'd be the best shooter on the team today
I remember his delevery to take ages to be unleashed. He also was very slow to take his chances with his shot. He could also used some variances in his delevery ala Ovechkin/Matthews to get his amazing shot to the net. I swear all his shots were always blocked. Anyway amazing power and accuracy when he had the time (which was sadly not enough)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad