A. Kostitsyn vs A. Galchenyuk

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Andrei Kostitsyn and Alex Galchenyuk were both highly touted 1st round pick. They could both be described as disappointement even though they had their moments with the team. Few questions for you:

• Who was the most talented in your opinion?
  • Which one you considered the best, at their peak?
  • If you could bring one back, which one would it be? You dont have to
  • Which one was the biggest disappointment for you? Why?

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I believe Galchenyuk (better hands and playmaking ability) was more talented but both were clearly not playing hard and good skater enough to dominate.

Shot:
Both had great shots but shitty delivery and taking ages to shoot. Kostitsyn had a slightly better shot though (more heavy and precise)

Hands:
Galchenyuk no doubt. Kostitsyn did score with amazing deke but he was least efficient than Gally.

Vision:
Both were very average but I would say Gally.

Work ethic:
Galchenyuk in a landslide. Gally might not be a high intensity guy on the ice but off ice he definitely always was/is in great shape. Kostitsyn always looked overweight.

Skating:
Both were below average skater. I say tie.

Strenght/Physicality:
Kostitsyn, even though he was overweight and definitely not as strong as Gally, he was way more physical.

So overall Gally by a hair and the biggest disapointment is Galchenyuk. He was supposed to be the franchise center.

Kostitsyn was more of a disapointment based on the other players available. In a bad draft at his ranking he would be an ok pick.

Last edited:

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
Talent: Galchenyuk
Best: AK46
Bring back: Galchenyuk
Disappointment: AK46

That's my personal opinion, but I believe AK46 was a bad boy with bad attitude.
Galchenyuk's is sneakier. His father seems to be a bad influence. I never felt bad attitude from him.

AK46 is best overall while Galchenyuk is pure gem talent.

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
Physically, Kostitsyn was the whole package. I think he just didn't have the mental tools to be a star in the NHL.

Galchenyuk? Awesome shot, but poor hockey sense. He got some tools, but some others are missing.

Overall, 2 players who could have been a lot better with more maturity, or with better mental support to keep them on the right track.

Reactions: Fenris

PavelBrendl

Jul 9, 2013
I think Galchenyuk had more raw talent but he just never progressed.

Kostitsyn was a better player at his peak for me. He had more physical tools and could make more of a difference in a game without the puck on his stick. I remember watching a few games that he was really "on", and he was dominant.

I would bring back Kostitsyn. See previous paragraph.

Galchenyuk was more disappointing to me. Put up exceptional numbers in the OHL for a rookie and absolutely destroyed the OHL in his D+1. Unfortunately he just never improved the things he needed to in order to be the same player in the NHL.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Good development and watching that youth don't get into trouble in Montreal is a hell of a drug.

Too bad management didn't do good job developing each's 200 foot game and ensuring these two stayed out of trouble.

Give teenagers/early 20 somethings millions of dollars and set them free in the Montreal party scene. What could go wrong?

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I think Galchenyuk had more raw talent but he just never progressed.

Kostitsyn was a better player at his peak for me. He had more physical tools and could make more of a difference in a game without the puck on his stick. I remember watching a few games that he was really "on", and he was dominant.

I would bring back Kostitsyn. See previous paragraph.

Galchenyuk was more disappointing to me. Put up exceptional numbers in the OHL for a rookie and absolutely destroyed the OHL in his D+1. Unfortunately he just never improved the things he needed to in order to be the same player in the NHL.

yeah I agree with this.

Man AK46 looked like he was knocking at the door. Maybe he never truly was. But he wasn't the same after that one concussion.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Kostitsyn had higher highs, but also had lower lows, IMO.

Kosty looked like he was a step or two away from being a star on more than one occasion, but he was never able to keep it up.

Chucky looked like a really good player, and was waiting to break out, but was never really given the chance to following his 30 goal season. I'm hoping he can sign some where in the off-season and prove that he can contribute to an NHL team.

Reactions: Andy

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
AK before Galchenyuk. Needed a different coach than what we had for both and definitely better follow up on the nightlife issue. Russian Mob ties certainly didn't help with the K brothers.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
Le frère André.

Remember Rick Nash's goal against the Coyotes? Well, I remember as if it was yesterday how AK46 scored one of the nicest/nastiest goals of that season..but got unoticed because of Rick Nash on the same night..

AK46 was heavy, tremendous shot, big, he was just not giving his all night in night out. But I would take him over Galchenyuk anytime.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Honestly. Andrei Kostitsyn was better. He didn't have to be sheltered like Galchenyuk and was far more physical. His shot was deadly and his playmaking clearly underrated.

In both cases they didn't reach their max potential for various reasons.

Who would I take back? Galchenyuk...only because kostitsyn is 35 and hasn't been in NHL for almost a decade.

If I had to choose who i would take in their prime? Kostitsyn, again...he wasn't sheltered. If you want to know who is better think of when Kostitsyn played with Plekanec and when Galchenyuk did. Tell me who looked better. Tell me from bottom of your heart that if a prime kostitsyn played with Malkin he'd end up traded before season is over. I doubt it.

Jee

uwu
Aug 25, 2006
Montréal
I miss AK more than I miss Galchenyuk. He could've been something VERY special, too bad our leadership group was shite.

Reactions: Andy

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
i liked Andrei

but very inconsistent and also some fitness/cardio issues... he wasnt a guy able to do long shifts, not like he was asked to do so. Jacques Martin was afraid he would do turnovers after turnovers

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
A.Kostitsyn 100%. Not much of a debate about it.
That said, I think we messed up completely the development of Galchenyuk, but I don't think this happened with AK.

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
What a great great question, now that enough Data has been compiled, its CLEAR kostitsyn (wow dont miss trying to spell that one ) was the better all around player to me, I could rely on at least 25 goals from AK every time, but amazingly with Galchenyuk, who i definitely thought would be a more special player, hell you couldnt tell if he would even hit 20 goals in a season most of the time...and just so damn slow...

Bottom line, its just a damn shame they both loved the nose candy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad