A. Kostitsyn vs A. Galchenyuk

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Both had/have the same issue, how did Torts eloquently put it when discussing Duclair “all the tools and no toolbox”?

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
Le frère André.

Remember Rick Nash's goal against the Coyotes? Well, I remember as if it was yesterday how AK46 scored one of the nicest/nastiest goals of that season..but got unoticed because of Rick Nash on the same night..

AK46 was heavy, tremendous shot, big, he was just not giving his all night in night out. But I would take him over Galchenyuk anytime.

Atlanta was by far the worst team ever in the NHL... like ever

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012
It's funny I was nostalgic the other day and watched AK highlights. I didn't remember him being this good, this fluid, I don't think Galchenyuk ever reached that type of game changing heights, and even though Kostitsyn was very irregular in his efforts, I think he was the best talent and player overall of the two, he really almost had it all.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
I never thought AK was lazy but inconsistent, I always felt that it was in his personality and culture. He was quite a reserved guy. I wish the team surrounded him better on a personal side. At least, he had his chance to play a big role. He did relatively ok with Plekanec. He also did well with Moen and Eller. He can also be quite physical too. Lucic and Chara never really intimidated him.

As for Galchenyuk, he had his part of blame but boy did we messed up with his development. At one point, the needle was really between make it or break it as a center. He had a really strong start when he finally started a season at C but got injured and things went downhill after that.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Le Frère André

He was a very good player but many of us expected him to be a PPG player and him being simply a Top 6 players was disappointing. If you could look past that, I think fans would have appreciated him more.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
A.Kostitsyn was by far more talented than Galchenyuk.

A shame he never blew up. He had the talent to compete for the scoring title. Even his IQ wasn't that bad, you saw it in some sick passes he made, very intelligent plays. But he could not put it all together consistently and then his career just went nowhere.

The Kostitsyn brothers were a missed opportunity; perhaps if they were better surrounded off the ice things would have been different. The culture shock was probably too much for Andrei in particular.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Honestly. Andrei Kostitsyn was better. He didn't have to be sheltered like Galchenyuk and was far more physical. His shot was deadly and his playmaking clearly underrated.

In both cases they didn't reach their max potential for various reasons.

Who would I take back? Galchenyuk...only because kostitsyn is 35 and hasn't been in NHL for almost a decade.

If I had to choose who i would take in their prime? Kostitsyn, again...he wasn't sheltered. If you want to know who is better think of when Kostitsyn played with Plekanec and when Galchenyuk did. Tell me who looked better. Tell me from bottom of your heart that if a prime kostitsyn played with Malkin he'd end up traded before season is over. I doubt it.

Also had sick 1-on-1 moves. AK46 could deke an NHL defenseman off his feet.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
AK46 reminded me of Jagr a little bit, I mean his kind of "heavy and strong agility and skills", his posture. AK felt "heavy" in his movements, while being agile. Obviously unlike Jagr he didn't put it together and Jagr was smarter.

Boardish

Mar 3, 2004
Andrei was my favorite player at the time. It’s a shame that he couldnt put everything together.

I remember AK’s behind the back pass to Plekanec on a breakaway.

Also his two incredible goals against Washington and Atlanta.

Reactions: Destopcorner

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
If you had posted this thread in 2014 you would have been unanimously dismissed as a moron.

Which in hindsight should establish with ease that Galchenyuk is by far the biggest disappointment between the two.

If I had to pick prime AK or prime AG, id pick prime AK every day for the simple fact he was so much more well rounded as a hockey player.

Galchenyuk had the talent to be a 70pt player in the NHL, to me the way he was developed ruined any chance of that.

I just hope Kotkaniemi doesn’t go down the same path, unfortunately we still see the same patterns with the teams philosophies, we see a team that is unwilling to give guys like Suzuki/Kotkaniemi top line mates because of Danault and the need to make the playoffs.

Danault might be a better player than those two today, but he’s peaked. The idea should be to give Suzuki and Kotkaniemi opportunity to be BETTER than Danault, not mold them into the next Danault.

Reactions: Redux91

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
What? He hit that once in his career.

Semantics, like calling people 30 goal scorers and leaving out every single person whos scored 29 lol.
Bottom line he averaged 25 ish in the prime of his career.
Bottom line overall I prefered Kostitsyn to Galchenyuk.
Thats how I feel, and you're certainly allowed to feel a different way.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
A.Kostitsyn was by far more talented than Galchenyuk.

A shame he never blew up. He had the talent to compete for the scoring title. Even his IQ wasn't that bad, you saw it in some sick passes he made, very intelligent plays. But he could not put it all together consistently and then his career just went nowhere.

The Kostitsyn brothers were a missed opportunity; perhaps if they were better surrounded off the ice things would have been different. The culture shock was probably too much for Andrei in particular.
His IQ was as abhorred as Galchenyuk IMO, no 5-on-5 scoring ability (pure PP creature), always caught behind the play, let alone DZone positioning. His 3-20G seasons (mainly PP driven) were the creation of Markov & Kovalev

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I don't see how the comparison of those players in their Hab's years is even close reasonable.

Kostitsyn has 2 seasons in the KHL and 4 with the Bulldogs before he became a full time NHLer.

Galchenyuk came straight to the NHL, and at a time when development was barely a second thought with the new Bergevin regime.

Both these players had consistency issues and injuries, but Galchenyuk had the better run of the 2 when he played centre for 70 or so straight games and had the best PPG on the team. Also part of that streak was when he tied the NHL record for OT regular season goals. (He still co-holds it).

I'd easily take Galchenyuk again, assuming a different GM and coach were in place. Otherwise it's Kostitsyn.

HabsCowboysOwn

Wak Prescott the 40M/yr fraud, here we gooo!
Feb 28, 2008
Montréal
Just re-watched it, and it really shows how much Benoit Brunet hated Kostitsyn for no reason at all. What a horrible commentator:

''Guillaume pis Andrei c'est des gros bonhommes''

''S'tun mini 2 contre 1''

''Le jeune Vébert''

''Tu te DOIS de garder la tête haute''

''Tu te DOIS de bouger les pieds''

''Oyoyoye Pierre''

So many gems.

Last edited:

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
AK was more physical, you noticed him on the ice because he didn't say away from throwing a hit or bulldozing through center ice to get to the net.

Galchenyuk had the hands but not the feet, he couldn't make the 2 click at the same time and he wasn't physical. He needed time in the AHL to develop properly.

But give me the Galchenyuk that played center and had a ppg pace any day of the week.

He could have been a franchise center but our genius development system had him playing on the wing on the 4th line at times and we turned him into a passionless drone on most nights.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Both were supposed to be PPG players and became 50 point guys at their peak.

Kostitsyn had a wicked wrister, à la Ovechkin 2005-2010 when firing with an opposing players in the way.

Galchenyuk has more of a one-timer but it's more of a "snap" shot or anyway, not a hard one-timer but a quick release.

I wonder how much the initial Galchenyuk knee injury impacted him. Anyway, that's not what's kept him from getting the overall hockey game and what to do without the puck. Kostitsyn was a winger and I don't remember about much except that he had natural strength which he used sporadically (when he felt like it... less and less over time).

I think I'd take Kostitsyn due to the possibility that he turns on in the playoffs and his size could have been a factor. He had a great shot which means that he could score from a distance, keeping him away from high traffic areas, because yeah, after the Sauer hit, he was not the same...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad