Post-Game Talk: A king with no crown: Pens - 1, Kings - 0

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
Also my main thought was "awesome game, but a 7game series of this terrifies me...."

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Also my main thought was "awesome game, but a 7game series of this terrifies me...."

A 3 game series would be bad enough. And you know that by game 3, if you're winning they're taking cheap shots at all our top guys too.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
The last two games have been great for the team and as a hockey fan. Kings are just out and out big. Hits were probably about the same, but the Kings seemed to inflict a lot more pain.

I suspect it's a minority opinion, but I thought Sutter and his line were good defensively last night. They got the matchup against Gaborik/Lewis/Kopitar, gave up some shots from the perimeter but defended pretty well overall. Yeah, Sutter's done nothing offensively lately, and he gets pushed off the puck in the offensive end, but I give his line a plus last night. If the Pens played the Kings more often, and if they survived physically, I think they'd solve the long cross-ice pass through the neutral zone to Gaborik that clicked last night a couple times.

Cole was OK, but played like a 5/6. Will be interesting to see what happens when Ehrhoff comes back. Given the way MJ is using his 4th line, I wonder if he'll try 7 D. Or will Cole sit and the D get even softer than it is. At this point, I don't think MJ is going to sit DP.

Martin had a good game. I haven't liked his play the last few, but I thought he looked in playoff form from the last couple years.

This team is better without 27 in the lineup. BB's been kind of neutered, and I guess that's OK going into games like last night's, but both he and 23 are so much better in all phases of the game than 27. Just don't do it, please MJ.

Still worry about D-zone faceoffs going into the SC. Anybody want to downplay them should have seen the final Boston goal yesterday. Bergeron beats Giroux and that **** Marchand ends up with a goal.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
Don't disagree Bambi has been good defensively. faceoffs generally >50 (I'd have to check) and solid on PK...I just think we need to do more damage with the 3rd line and it won't happen with him. He doesn't elevate anybody.

I liked BB better on 4th line sans Adams than 3rd w Sutter.
Behind Kunitz and Scuderi he's my tops to move this summer....

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
As much as I pick on the guy I shouldn't be that hard on Sutter. The NHL has become such a hard grinding game, guys like BB and Sutter simply aren't built for how the sport is played.

Sutter looked fine last playoffs...

also this doesn't last... remember every couple years during the DPE the league would have an officiating crackdown near the playoffs and it would last for a couple rounds. if the point leader is as bad as it's going to be they may do that this year.

Sports are driven by TV money. Tv hates boring games. trust me if the ratings drop continues this era will end quickly

YinzAintBurgh*

you realize that the kings are in the west and aren't even in the playoffs right now right

all this team's demons are the east. all of them, and they all improved way more than the pens did at the tdl

Yeah, that's my point. LA won 2 of the last 3 Stanley Cups. I know they aren't in the playoffs right now but that was playoff LA Kings hockey last night. West coast hockey has won 4 of the last 5. That's the type of hockey that wins Championships. I think it's going to be a different story for the Pens against the East come playoff time if those things I said come true.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
It was kind of amusing to watch Sutter being pinned up against the boards, feet flailing, unable to get away from the Kings' defenseman, while Hornqvist battles through his check, takes a huge hit on the boards, and goes to the front of the net to score the winner.

You are being too kind and forgiving....

Hornqvist made a beautiful hard working play to keep the puck in... Then he chased his dump and forced it down the board... Gets plastered into the backboards and knocked down... The defender tries to pin him and Hornqvist shoves him off and works his way to the front of the net and gets the puck and wins the game. He just kept fighting and moving his feet like a mad man and want going to be denied there.

Now let's relive Sutter's epic shift on the same sequence.

Sutter attempts to chase Hornqvist's dump... Gets pinned and comically keeps moving his feet and goes nowhere... He comes off the board and "menacingly" skates to the far circle... Fearing he may kill Carter with his He-Man like strength, he decides not to take him into the boards and instead hunches over and peels off, but being the great intimidator he is, he slightly taps Carter on the hip and helps adjust his pants for him.

Epic.

As for Kunitz, enough already MJ. The only thing I can hold out hope for is that they're trying to get him going by putting him in every favorable spot they can, and if he continues to fail, they'll react accordingly.

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me what he is doing to get rewarded with top unit PP time and being put with Crosby in OT.

Last edited:

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Hornqvist is my favourite player at the moment. I swear, his approach to the game is ridiculous.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Hornqvist is my favourite player at the moment. I swear, his approach to the game is ridiculous.

I don't know if anyone else watches him like me, but it's sort of like watching a goal scoring winger in a contract year light it up on your team - all you see are dollar signs. You watch and are completely excited about what they are doing, but you have that in the back of your head. With Hornqvist all I see is his game falling off a cliff in 3 years because he takes such a beating to get his job done.

torrencemd

Jun 27, 2006
Was at the game last night, my thoughts are this:

1) Letangs skating is a gift from the gods. He was so fluid, fast but also frustrating with how he thinks of the game. Switch his hockey sense w Doughty and he is easily the best Dman in the league. But after talking up Doughty's hockey IQ, I thought he looked better than Doughty, but without the size.

2) Doughty had an off night. He got danced bad by Sid twice. Obviously the latter was almost a highlight reeler. Is say by mid second Coach Sutter had to switch his matchup to Geno cuz Doughty had no answer for Sid.

3)DP is going to be something special. Kept looking and seeing the 5 out there and thought it was Legang, but it was DP. He's green and definitely a rookie but you can see him getting better and better. He just needs more games under his belt. And maybe spend the summers training w Letang, he looks like he could get bigger and faster and then watch out!

4) Meeee so Horny! He was a monster this road trip. Love his name, love him w Sid, love the endless sexual innuendo nicknames. He packs his lunch and brings it every day. If we had 4 more of him we'd be unstoppable.

5) Switch Kuni and Perron. I hate putting Sids BFF back with him, but Perron and Sid look out of sorts and Kuni can't keep up w Malkins play. Perron for the long and short is like Kunitz to me, but with a way better shot, but when they get in the offensive zone Perron just floats to right in front of the Goalie caucusing havoc. Add that with Malkins shot and I think we have gold.

6) Malkin is definitely playing out of his minds. Always wants the puck on his stick and rightfully so. I think at one point I saw him actually steal the puck from a team mate, but he's insanely gifted with the puck. Given a gun to my head w a choice of Sid or Geno and I'm going w the Rooski.

Finally last but not least the bottom six. Sutter needs to go, he makes trading for J Staal near the top of my list. Just can't seem to put it all together for my liking. Winnik is a nice addition, but hasn't put out much in the way of offense we thought he would, but he is money on that PK. Downie is a pit bull and I love his play. He gets like 10-14 mins a night and he is tenacious from start to finish. Cup winners need guys like this. He was chippy but didn't cross the line. I thought team in general played a pretty clean game. Laps provides some toughness and I think he drew a penalty last night. Spaling is a Sutter clone to me only I feel like he is quicker and less gangly than Bambi. Did BB even play last night? I think he's trade bait this off season to get a pick it two back. You can see he has awesome potential but I can't help but look at him and think of the Despres mismanagement.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I don't know if anyone else watches him like me, but it's sort of like watching a goal scoring winger in a contract year light it up on your team - all you see are dollar signs. You watch and are completely excited about what they are doing, but you have that in the back of your head. With Hornqvist all I see is his game falling off a cliff in 3 years because he takes such a beating to get his job done.

Ciccarelli was basically the same as Hornqvist in build and mentality. He was always productive, straight through his mid 30s. His last productive season before age started slowing him down, was at 35 when he potted 35 goals.

Verbeek is another guy who was actually even smaller, but played the game with the same reckless attitude, took a ton of absue and scored a bunch of goals in front of the net. He was productive until his mid 30s as well. Potted 22 at 36.

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
Was at the game last night, my thoughts are this:

1) Letangs skating is a gift from the gods. He was so fluid, fast but also frustrating with how he thinks of the game. Switch his hockey sense w Doughty and he is easily the best Dman in the league. But after talking up Doughty's hockey IQ, I thought he looked better than Doughty, but without the size.

2) Doughty had an off night. He got danced bad by Sid twice. Obviously the latter was almost a highlight reeler. Is say by mid second Coach Sutter had to switch his matchup to Geno cuz Doughty had no answer for Sid.

3)DP is going to be something special. Kept looking and seeing the 5 out there and thought it was Legang, but it was DP. He's green and definitely a rookie but you can see him getting better and better. He just needs more games under his belt. And maybe spend the summers training w Letang, he looks like he could get bigger and faster and then watch out!

4) Meeee so Horny! He was a monster this road trip. Love his name, love him w Sid, love the endless sexual innuendo nicknames. He packs his lunch and brings it every day. If we had 4 more of him we'd be unstoppable.

5) Switch Kuni and Perron. I hate putting Sids BFF back with him, but Perron and Sid look out of sorts and Kuni can't keep up w Malkins play. Perron for the long and short is like Kunitz to me, but with a way better shot, but when they get in the offensive zone Perron just floats to right in front of the Goalie caucusing havoc. Add that with Malkins shot and I think we have gold.

6) Malkin is definitely playing out of his minds. Always wants the puck on his stick and rightfully so. I think at one point I saw him actually steal the puck from a team mate, but he's insanely gifted with the puck. Given a gun to my head w a choice of Sid or Geno and I'm going w the Rooski.

Finally last but not least the bottom six. Sutter needs to go, he makes trading for J Staal near the top of my list. Just can't seem to put it all together for my liking. Winnik is a nice addition, but hasn't put out much in the way of offense we thought he would, but he is money on that PK. Downie is a pit bull and I love his play. He gets like 10-14 mins a night and he is tenacious from start to finish. Cup winners need guys like this. He was chippy but didn't cross the line. I thought team in general played a pretty clean game. Laps provides some toughness and I think he drew a penalty last night. Spaling is a Sutter clone to me only I feel like he is quicker and less gangly than Bambi. Did BB even play last night? I think he's trade bait this off season to get a pick it two back. You can see he has awesome potential but I can't help but look at him and think of the Despres mismanagement.

Good post, thanks. Regarding BB, at some point (in the last couple years at least) the player has a responsibility to earn his place in the top six. I know he's a favorite around here, but he needs to start showing something.

cajal

Go Pens!
Dec 13, 2007
Miskatonic U
+ Winning playoff style games

--- All of the obstruction, bear-hugging and other garbage going on. No wonder the Kings have won twice recently - they remind me of Robin Williams (RIP) describing baby crap - half nuclear waste and half velcro.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
DP is more solid physically than last year. As he matures and ads girth and strength, he will be really something special. The Kings reflect the trend of size and winning the war of inflicting greater pain.

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA
I wish letang had half the hockey iq that doughty possesses.

You NEVER disappoint! In a game where Sid plays ridiculous you're obnoxiously quiet about 2010 Sid. But you totally redeem yourself by wishing Letang had Doughty's "hockey IQ" after a game Letang plays great and Doughty had his lunch handed to him by Sid TWICE. :laugh:

Wolf Without a Howl

97% Mumps Free
Jan 25, 2013
You NEVER disappoint! In a game where Sid plays ridiculous you're obnoxiously quiet about 2010 Sid. But you totally redeem yourself by wishing Letang had Doughty's "hockey IQ" after a game Letang plays great and Doughty had his lunch handed to him by Sid TWICE. :laugh:

I want nothing more than the Pens to win the cup this year, and see TTEOT still go on about how they won it in spite of Sid and how he's the worst leader in sports, etc.

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
Is it crazy to think of depo playing a doughty-lite game as his ceiling?

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
That goal last night should of read.....PIT: Hornqvist (22) (Hornqvist, Hornqvist).

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

I'm not so sure. Guys that feast on pucks around the crease and get by on battle level and anticipation instead of physical tools can have a longer shelf life than you'd expect. Smythe washed up at 36, Holmstrom at 38, Ferraro and Brunette at 37, Andreychuk at 42. Even 5'5 Gionta was an effective player just last year at 35.

I mean, if Hornqvist loses a step, how much does that matter? Where he makes his living, footspeed isn't really relevant. And he doesn't fight, so it's not like he's getting his brains scrambled.

It's usually the power forwards that fizzle early, not the plucky paint players, big or small. If Lucic is still good at 33, I'd be floored. Hornqvist still kicking around scoring 25 ugly looking marks wouldn't surprise me at all.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Hornqvist doesn't throw (or take) a lot of big hits (fewer hits-per-game thrown than Goc, for example) and until this year, was never really injured. I wouldn't be surprised if hehad a pretty lengthy career.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Ciccarelli was basically the same as Hornqvist in build and mentality. He was always productive, straight through his mid 30s. His last productive season before age started slowing him down, was at 35 when he potted 35 goals.

Verbeek is another guy who was actually even smaller, but played the game with the same reckless attitude, took a ton of absue and scored a bunch of goals in front of the net. He was productive until his mid 30s as well. Potted 22 at 36.

Ciccarelli - man was that guy a royal pain in the ***. I'd say he took/initiated even more abuse than Horny. Hated him but always wished he was a Pen.

Espo was another in that mold. Don't think he ever scored a goal from more than 10 feet out, but I think he had a bigger size advantage than Horny et al.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad