Post-Game Talk: A king with no crown: Pens - 1, Kings - 0

Fordy

May 28, 2008
They won a playoff like game against the Kings. So all those saying they can't beat anybody in the East need to shut up. Defense looks the best they have in years. As long as Fleury can transfer that play to the actual playoffs and doesn't have a meltdown.. It's going to fall on Crosby and Malkin to show up. Simple as that.

you realize that the kings are in the west and aren't even in the playoffs right now right

all this team's demons are the east. all of them, and they all improved way more than the pens did at the tdl

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
++++++ Fleury
+++ OT - All of the players played a really strong OT considering the tempo of the game and the game the night before
++ Johnston's OT strategy
+ Hornqvist
+ Crosby - awesome game on offensive and defensive side
+ Malkin-Comeau
+ Sutter's PK and defensive game - I know people hate his board work, physicality and inability to maintain the puck in the OZ. But Sutter had himself a hell of a game in the NZ and DZ. His defensive zone coverage was phenomenal.
+ Letang

+/- Perron - Perron was looking better with passing and off-puck movement. Hopefully the rest will come.
+/- Pouliot - After a really bad DZ night last night, I thought Pouliot had better defensive zone coverage.
+/- Cole - Decent OZ instincts but not good in defensive coverage or transition right now. Hopefully it is just unfamiliarity with the system. He seems to ice the puck a lot.
+/- Scuderi - Scuderi still has a tendency to get beat to the puck and not be able to get the puck out of the DZ. But he actually put a couple shots on net and had a really good shift in the 3rd when the Pens needed it.

- Lovejoy - He got caught out of position at least twice tonight and a few times last night on a cross ice pass through the neutral zone to spring the off-side wing. The pass can't happen.
- Using dump-ins - The dump-in plan wasn't working because (1) the Pens puck retrieval and breakout was slow and bad, (2) the Kings are constantly running interference, (3) the Kings have a solid, disciplined structure that was virtually immune to the Pens forecheck after the first period, and (4) the Pens were too tired from the night before for good retrieval or forecheck.
-- DZ coverage - The new players and pairings are struggling to figure out the defensive coverage. Too often the defenders are getting sucked onto the same side of the ice leaving the center or occasionally off-side winger as the only net-front and back side coverage. The center is also getting pulled out of position in front of the net leaving a lot of holes in prime goal scoring real estate. Zone defensive coverage problems remain (1) not challenging for pucks because of strict adherence to the "zone", (2) failure to cover the points particularly on cross ice passes, (3) lack of communication and discipline, and (4) losing battles and not tracking players behind the net (good thing most other players aren't as effective as Crosby & Malkin from that area)
-- Puck retrieval - Pens defenders are getting caught too frequently with their backs to the ice and an opposing player barreling in on them. Watching the Kings tonight (or the Red Wings who also excel) subtle interference would help the players not get caught so frequently.
-- Break out - Pens are moving the puck too slowly and turning the puck over too frequently at the blueline. Hopefully, it is just new players and pairings adjusting.
--- PP - I think Crosby might've had the most shots for the first unit which is not good considering his normal shooting rate. However, the PPs's problems are still zone entries and not getting open shooting lanes. Work on those two things, and the shots will come.
---- Neutral zone coverage - Pens forecheck was terrible; however the Kings were waltzing through the neutral zone. I would have liked to have seen Johnston come out with a stronger trap.

----- Pens haven't won a road game against the Sharks since the 1990s

Last edited:

Malkin112*

Malkin's line once again winner of the corsi battle and Sutter's line big loser

3zrzyZb.jpg

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I went to the game tonight.

Flower was unreal. There are some glaring issues with this team. The power play looks horrible in person. Some good compete level and Geno looks possessed. Sid had some beautiful moves out there as well.

Wasn't overly impressed with Cole out there but it's still early.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Wish we could play the West all the time.

Hornqvist is doing the things I dreamed would happen when that trade went down.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I see your point but I also don't want to see Bylsma's "most shots wins" attitude. They lost quite a few playoff games while out-shooting the opponent. Puck possession seem to be this coach's mantra and I do expect the shot totals to go down. Now to get the other teams down as well...

I agree. I'm not even that concerned with shot totals.

For me, it really boils down to 2 things. One is constantly passing to an inferior scoring position when you have an open shot in scoring position. They are forgoing a prime scoring chance, not to mention the potential from a rebound, and trading it for a low percentage chance.

The other is not shooting on the powerplay. You aren't always shooting to score, you also shoot to manipulate the PKers. Surely they understand this.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
I agree. I'm not even that concerned with shot totals.

For me, it really boils down to 2 things. One is constantly passing to an inferior scoring position when you have an open shot in scoring position. They are forgoing a prime scoring chance, not to mention the potential from a rebound, and trading it for a low percentage chance.

The other is not shooting on the powerplay. You aren't always shooting to score, you also shoot to manipulate the PKers. Surely they understand this.

How often are the Pens passing up open shots in a scoring position?

I don't think the Pens are passing up open shots. I think most of the time that the shots that fans (and the Pens announcers) are talking about are low percentage unopen shots.

I would argue that both on the PP and EV the problem is getting open shots and scoring opportunities (more movement and quicker movement with the puck and off the puck, more net front work) and gaining and maintaining offensive zone pressure (forecheck is bad, no cycle, d-men need to help more at the blueline, zone entries suck ass).

Last edited:

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
If Perron continues to play like he did lately,I want the first round pick back.

Thought Tang was unreal.
Perron needs to go back to that previous level. Good thing is that we´ve seen the good Perron already, so we know what he´s capable to do. And sorry guys.. don´t tell me that I´m wrong about Perron again. He´s cold a bit too long already, it´s time to admit that and move on.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Small note but I love Daniel Winnik's poise with the puck. There were several times today where most Pens would have gotten the puck and thrown it away in a blind panic but Winnik always uses his frame to protect the puck and take that one extra second to pick his head up and make a play that leads to us holding onto the puck.

He's such a smart player and I love that about him. I also like his intensity and the fact that he's apparently a real alpha type personality. This team needed a big angry puck possession guy like that. Hopefully Winnik's play rubs off on Sutter a bit.

Tumty

Aug 18, 2012
Finland
Sid.. Bad luck, again. Getting sick of it. Did Sid really play with Kuni in OT? Amazing game from our Captain.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
9 shutouts this year for MAF

Wasn't his old record 6 ?

Has played well this year.

Regardless of the score the team seemed to have played well. A little rest and then we move on and pick up another win. We r the penguins the mighty mighty penguins

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
9 shutouts this year for MAF

Wasn't his old record 6 ?

Has played well this year.

Regardless of the score the team seemed to have played well. A little rest and then we move on and pick up another win. We r the penguins the mighty mighty penguins

He really has played well.

If he could find a way to get the softies from the top of the circles completely out of his game, he'd be a 7 million dollar goaltender. I wonder if he regrets signing the contract when he did. :laugh:

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
- The PP looked way better a few games ago when pouliot were on the 1st unit. Somehow Kunitz is back on it again and it looks like ass.

It's not rocket science. Just put pouliot back there!

Also. Sitter needs to be demoted to the 4th line and Spalling center the 3rd. We essentially have two 4th lines atm. Suttter is killing the 3rd line :-(

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
OT was Kunitz/Crosby, Perron/Malkin, Hornqvist/Sutter.

One observation from tonight is that Kings are slow compared to some teams that the Pens have trouble with, like the Avs, so the Pens can skate up and down the ice with them. Sharks are slower team as well so I anticipate the Pens handling them.

Letang especially can cut through these type of teams like a hot knife thru butter.

Not being negative, it was a great game.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Just saw the highlights.

Sid was unlucky but I don't see him winning the Art Ross.

Fleury was unreal again. 9th shut-out!

Good win. Let's have a big win over the San Jose Sharks.

Mar 22, 2010
Mother Base
+ IcedCapp - I bet this has been a rough week for IC. His favorite player was unceremoniously traded to the Ducks, Crosby has been mostly-dead all year, and the Pittsburgh Media, his idols, have really been off their game.

But IcedCapp was on fire tonight. He skipped a couple of games, but he brought it tonight. Hall of Fame level humor from the Capptain. Way to go, Capp. Happy to have you back. You're the man now, dog.

I did the same thing. :laugh:

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
People marvel at Letang and his strength...I marvel at Hornqvist. It doesn't matter how big or bad and opposing defenseman is, Hornqvist is an immovable object. He is probably my favorite player in the NHL, and I haven't been this impressed with a hockey player in a long time. I was a fan of his in Nashville, but I'm a gigantic fan now.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
As much as I pick on the guy I shouldn't be that hard on Sutter. The NHL has become such a hard grinding game, guys like BB and Sutter simply aren't built for how the sport is played.

specialized

Jan 24, 2013
As much as I pick on the guy I shouldn't be that hard on Sutter. The NHL has become such a hard grinding game, guys like BB and Sutter simply aren't built for how the sport is played.

They need to add on 10lbs this off season if not more.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
++++++++ MAF
++++++++Horny
++++ pretty much everything but the PP
+++ Lovejoy remaining mostly mistake free and hopefully gives DP some stabilization and therefore more TOI
--- Bambi Sutter
---BB on borrowed time until he's moved just prior to the off-ice revelation
- Kunitz....he's not going anywhere face it
- Tochett worse than Yeo, whoknew?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad