Post-Game Talk: A king with no crown: Pens - 1, Kings - 0

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
The best part about about that game last night was the experience the pens gained being in a tight checking playoff type game against a very good team.

It was nice to see Sid have a good game, we have seen him have good games this season, but he usually follows up his good games with 2 or 3 games where he doesn't do much.

It would be nice to see Sid put together a string of good games.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Ciccarelli - man was that guy a royal pain in the ***. I'd say he took/initiated even more abuse than Horny. Hated him but always wished he was a Pen.

Espo was another in that mold. Don't think he ever scored a goal from more than 10 feet out, but I think he had a bigger size advantage than Horny et al.

Back in Ciccarelli's day, guys took so much abuse in front compared to today. The **** guys got away with was insane.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Watching both of these games live I think Sutter gets a little too much crap from the fans. He is an offensive black hole, but he is rarely out of position and actually plays a little more physically than you can tell on TV. I mean compared to Jarret Stoll, he looked like Malkin out there.

Also, Pouliot is a complete stud. He is Letang-lite with better offensive abilities. This might be because he hasn't played very many games and teams aren't targeting him like they do Letang, but he single handedly made the power play at least look effective every time they put him out there. I still do not see why our power play isn't Crosby Malkin Hornqvist Letang DP or Crosby Malkin Perron Letang DP the majority of the time.

Xavier Laflamme*

I didn't scan through the entire thread but I have to say I was very impressed with Lovejoy last night. Duck fans said he was their best player against the Kings and he showed it last night. He holds the blue line really well when the other team is in transition and he made a lot of solid defensive plays. Very happy to see.

Penguinzilla*

Great game. Stinks that Crosby and/or Malkin didn't get point and Tavares and Ovi did.
I may have had my Penguins Glasses on, but the Kings get away with tons of hooking, holding, and interference

Penguinzilla*

How has Lovejoy looked since coming back? Listened on the radio didn't hear his name much. And seemed like BB got demoted again.

He's looked very good. Much better than Despres was/is. That's not saying that in 3 year Despres won't be better than Lovejoy ever was, but for now he's a part of what we need to have a chance at the Cup.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Hornqvist doesn't throw (or take) a lot of big hits (fewer hits-per-game thrown than Goc, for example) and until this year, was never really injured. I wouldn't be surprised if hehad a pretty lengthy career.

Agreed.

And as Jiggy and Al Smith mentioned, the league is different now for guys that make a living going to the paint. It is not nearly as hazardous as it used to be, as blatant assault and mugging is now not allowed, go figure.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
giphy.gif

OH MY GOD, someone PLEASE replace the little robotic ball with a Stanley cup. :laugh:

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
Ciccarelli was basically the same as Hornqvist in build and mentality. He was always productive, straight through his mid 30s. His last productive season before age started slowing him down, was at 35 when he potted 35 goals.

Verbeek is another guy who was actually even smaller, but played the game with the same reckless attitude, took a ton of absue and scored a bunch of goals in front of the net. He was productive until his mid 30s as well. Potted 22 at 36.

pretty good comparison, but those guys were also tough as nails and doled out punishment as well.
I dont think PH is as tough or nasty as them

edit- both were born in sarnia too

Last edited:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
pretty good comparison, but those guys were also tough as nails and doled out punishment as well.
I dont think PH is as tough or nasty as them

edit- both were born in sarnia too

Hornqvist is as tough as they were, just not as dirty.

However, I don't think you could survive in the paint in their era without fighting dirty though. What Crosby got from Staal agt the Rags in the playoffs was just a typical outing for those guys.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
You don't need to be dirty to be effective at that kind of role with Hornqvist. There are a lot of guys that played hard in front of the net and weren't dirty.

Also in the days of Dino, the crease was smaller and guys were allowed to battle longer.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
He's looked very good. Much better than Despres was/is. That's not saying that in 3 year Despres won't be better than Lovejoy ever was, but for now he's a part of what we need to have a chance at the Cup.

I don't know why I bother, especially based on your history, but if you think he's both looked VERY good and MUCH better than Despres, then you are wilfully ignoring any negatives.

It's one thing to be fine with a trade, it's another to just totally be a troll about it.

Good luck in your future endeavors.

Mordax

You make it hard
Sep 23, 2009
Victoria, BC
Games like this make it all the more painful that the guy I'm trying to catch in my fantasy pool as Fleury and Hornqvist (Malkin too! ugh) :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad