Post-Game Talk: A hot bowl of Campbell soup and two scores for the Birthday Boy

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Reading this post is wild.

Especially since I replied to a message after the LA game which called this the worst team in the McDavid era.
Yeah. The bookend to that is me actually saying in those threads that the view here will again be completely reversed after a couple of wins. Here we are.

Fact of the matter is that Kostin, Janmark, Campbell were good adds. Its just taking longer for Campbell to settle in here, but in fairness the team has started to get its shit together in pk and all zone play.

Going bacl to 11/7 also means we have no Shore deadweights in the lineup and we have the puck more.

Then you sample guys like Desharnais in the org and it looks like some solutions were in the room.

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
Good shit, man.

Obviously would have been nice to see Campbell get the shutout, but oh well. Still played a really, really good game.

People were mentioning how his positioning has looked a lot better and I agree. Certainly hope he's on the upswing.
His tracking is much improved. He is figuring out how to defend around our defensive “style” and it’s looking like he’s got it sorted out.
Small steps to build on but positive.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Nice to check the NHL app and see them win 7-1 over the Sharks.

I haven't been able to watch the past 2 games because of other commitments. Looking at the box score and highlights, I'm wondering if I should stop watching games for awhile.

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
My only real negative from this game is that I don’t understand how Janmark started in the AHL. He just looks like an NHL player every day of the week to me. I think its a shame he started in the AHL. He was very good tonight. I’ve pretty much liked him all season.
Think more fans will see this once his snake-bitten shooting % moves up. His play is looking good and he’s bringing lots to the table. Just need to get past that %…hopefully soon.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Yeah. The bookend to that is me actually saying in those threads that the view here will again be completely reversed after a couple of wins. Here we are.

Fact of the matter is that Kostin, Janmark, Campbell were good adds. Its just taking longer for Campbell to settle in here, but in fairness the team has started to get its shit together in pk and all zone play.

Going bacl to 11/7 also means we have no Shore deadweights in the lineup and we have the puck more.

Then you sample guys like Desharnais in the org and it looks like some solutions were in the room.

I also think with Campbell that he wasn’t that bad to start the year. His stats will look bad but I thought by eye, it was more the team letting him down than vice versa. He has struggled this year, don’t get me wrong. But if the PK, team defense and puck management was closer to where it should be, maybe he doesn’t spiral out of control for a couple months. The Oilers didn’t make it easy on him. Hopefully he’s (and the team) settled in now. Hes been very good in 2023. Too bad he didn’t get a shutout. He was great last night.

Last edited:

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
My takeaways from this thread: ;)

1. People still wear watches, some have more than one and like expensive options
2. Guys still wear cologne
3. There's signs of hope for the Oil after seal clubbing two traditional West Coast meanies now in rebuild phase

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
My takeaways from this thread: ;)

1. People still wear watches, some have more than one and like expensive options
2. Guys still wear cologne
3. There's signs of hope for the Oil after seal clubbing two traditional West Coast meanies now in rebuild phase
2 points for the retro California Golden Seals wetcoast reference.

1673719079975.png

Groovy ;)

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Not great teams but it serves to get the ball rolling. Give the room some confidence and good vibes, most importantly a couple of games and wins in a row for Campbell where he’s been good, hopefully he continues to come around.

I’ve said it for awhile now but we haven’t seen anywhere close to the best this group has to give. I’d say just about every person on the roster has more to give in one way or another and that includes our superstars. With Kane returning, if Campbell can continue working towards average numbers and the guys give their best games on a nightly basis we’re going to start stringing wins together.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Not great teams but it serves to get the ball rolling. Give the room some confidence and good vibes, most importantly a couple of games and wins in a row for Campbell where he’s been good, hopefully he continues to come around.

I’ve said it for awhile now but we haven’t seen anywhere close to the best this group has to give. I’d say just about every person on the roster has more to give in one way or another and that includes our superstars. With Kane returning, if Campbell can continue working towards average numbers and the guys give their best games on a nightly basis we’re going to start stringing wins together.
Campbell has been good in past 5 games he's played. Now a two week stretch.

In the 3 games he started this year he won all of them and gave up 5 goals. Its oddly Skinner that has been pulled twice recently.

Goaltending is like that. You're on your better form or not.

Even in the LA game Campbells near stop on Kempe was so good the Kings were legitimately applauding it. Something that rarely happens in hockey. Last night another robbery. Great glove hand save in third. Not even selling the saves either, these were spectacular.

With a little better D coverage around net, and even a guy like Desharnais is providing that, we get a better look at what goalies can accomplish given much of a chance.

Reactions: Biltmore

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Gilles. Could tell from the mask and # and his style points. He had some of the weirdest goalie form. But then again back then many did. Goaltending seemed to be in an experimental stage back then. If this worked do it twice, do it 100 times.
Ya I thought so too. The slits on the mask were what I recall his mask looking like. They were different than what any other goalie mask had at the time, I recall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad