Value of: A goalie to the Leafs (If Andersen is out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I don't see Dubas targeting Greiss...including for the reason you posted (not being available). not a knock on Greiss, i just think he's looking for a backup he can grab with a 3rd or 2nd round pick.
Also depends on Andersen's health doesn't it? He is not playing tonight, this we know. All I know is Lou would place a premium price on goaltending. Not sure where Dubas stands if Andersen is not 100% healthy.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Also depends on Andersen's health doesn't it? He is not playing tonight, this we know. All I know is Lou would place a premium price on goaltending. Not sure where Dubas stands if Andersen is not 100% healthy.
Andersen is day today, he is not traveling with the team to New York. He passed concussion protocol and it has been he has a neck injury that is nothing major.

This season has been weird. 20 crappy games to start, fire Babcock and go on a run with Keefe. we've been riddled with injuries to key players (Muzzin/Rielly/Hyman/Dermott/Tavares/Marner/Andersen)....we've had to deal with Ceci playing to high in the lineup (the price of moving Zaitsev's contract)...our backup has been dogshit. There have been nights where our defense has been a combination of:
Barrie-Holl
Ceci-Dermott
Sandin-Lilly/Marincin

And yet here we are, still in reach of the playoffs. I don't think Dubas moves another 1st right now. i think he gets another chance next season to finally address the D his way and look at fixing backup D.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Andersen is day today, he is not traveling with the team to New York. He passed concussion protocol and it has been he has a neck injury that is nothing major.

This season has been weird. 20 crappy games to start, fire Babcock and go on a run with Keefe. we've been riddled with injuries to key players (Muzzin/Rielly/Hyman/Dermott/Tavares/Marner/Andersen)....we've had to deal with Ceci playing to high in the lineup (the price of moving Zaitsev's contract)...our backup has been dog****. There have been nights where our defense has been a combination of:
Barrie-Holl
Ceci-Dermott
Sandin-Lilly/Marincin

And yet here we are, still in reach of the playoffs. I don't think Dubas moves another 1st right now. i think he gets another chance next season to finally address the D his way and look at fixing backup D.
Well he will have to because a loss tonight pretty much seals this season fate...too little too late for dubas.. roomie GM mistake not addressing this sooner

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
A loss tonight won't change the fact he won't overpay for a backup goalie.
No GM should ever intentionally overpay. All that says to me is that GM is far more interested in saving his job in the now than he is interested in protecting his team’s future. Now when Dubas does get his new back up goalie we fans can have fun arguing about whether he overpaid. In his mind the price he paid will be fair, or he wouldn’t have made the deal.

AirGut

Jul 1, 2019
Larry Brooks Bus Stop
www.capfriendly.com
so basically leafs with georgiev = cup contenders
leafs without georgiev = lotto team that eneds to rebuild and trades a guy that might hit 60g@22 years old...

not to late to delete this. leafs arent paying kapanen for the rangers 3rd string G
That's not what I'm really implying, and you're missing the bigger picture here. Leafs without a goalie well enough to even solidify a wild card berth= missing the 2020 playoffs. If you don't think this starts turning into a disaster you're as delusional as most Leafs fans are labeled. You guys cannot miss the playoffs. You are not a rebuilding team anymore, nor are you even a retooling team. You're supposed to be true playoff contenders. And you're team as of right now is insanely top heavy and with multiple contracts that are left with nothing but question marks. You're gonna start losing players due to paying the big trio 10+. You can't win like that, whatsoever. In the next few games if the Leafs lose due to horrible goaltending (Hutch can't stop a beach ball sometimes) you'll soon reach that defcon level 1 I was talking about and you'd be damn certain they'd pay the price to get someone who can actually propel them into the playoffs. Point is missing this year and getting some lottery pick that's not even in the top 13 is just gonna cause a slow decent into madness for them. Eventually they'll realize Matthews or Nylander will finally have to go to pay off other good pieces. Seriously.... good luck trying to pay Muzzin,Barrie,Rielly in the next years, Andersen, Sandin when his ELC is up, AND also keep your two third line wingers. It's just not gonna happen guy. The Blackhawks effect without even making it to the ECF.......it's just sad really.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Craig Anderson @ 50%

for

Michael Hutchinson and a 2021 4th

Melnyk saves ~450k
Andy gets a (better) shot at the cup with Toronto
Ottawa doesn't have a 4th next year and now they will
Toronto gets a more reliable temporary starter and backup for when Freddy comes back

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
That's not what I'm really implying, and you're missing the bigger picture here. Leafs without a goalie well enough to even solidify a wild card berth= missing the 2020 playoffs. If you don't think this starts turning into a disaster you're as delusional as most Leafs fans are labeled. You guys cannot miss the playoffs. You are not a rebuilding team anymore, nor are you even a retooling team. You're supposed to be true playoff contenders. And you're team as of right now is insanely top heavy and with multiple contracts that are left with nothing but question marks. You're gonna start losing players due to paying the big trio 10+. You can't win like that, whatsoever. In the next few games if the Leafs lose due to horrible goaltending (Hutch can't stop a beach ball sometimes) you'll soon reach that defcon level 1 I was talking about and you'd be damn certain they'd pay the price to get someone who can actually propel them into the playoffs. Point is missing this year and getting some lottery pick that's not even in the top 13 is just gonna cause a slow decent into madness for them. Eventually they'll realize Matthews or Nylander will finally have to go to pay off other good pieces. Seriously.... good luck trying to pay Muzzin,Barrie,Rielly in the next years, Andersen, Sandin when his ELC is up, AND also keep your two third line wingers. It's just not gonna happen guy. The Blackhawks effect without even making it to the ECF.......it's just sad really.
So basically, you're saying the Leafs should get a backup goalie better than Hutch? I agree. That's why we are talking about Campbell in that other thread.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Craig Anderson @ 50%

for

Michael Hutchinson and a 2021 4th

Melnyk saves ~450k
Andy gets a (better) shot at the cup with Toronto
Ottawa doesn't have a 4th next year and now they will
Toronto gets a more reliable temporary starter and backup for when Freddy comes back
Value wise, Hell ya...but even at 50%, Leafs can't fit Anderson without more cap moving.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Value wise, Hell ya...but even at 50%, Leafs can't fit Anderson without more cap moving.

Kerfoot - 3.500
Hutchinson - 0.700
A pick, but I'm not sure what's fair exactly.
Total cap: 4.200

for

Tierney 37.87% retained - 1.825
Anderson 50.00% retained - 2.375

Melnyk still saves actual dollars despite retaining.
Tierney is a little better the Kerfoot IMO, but Kerfoot's contract is Melnyk-approved.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
A loss tonight won't change the fact he won't overpay for a backup goalie.
Nope and playoffs become just that much farther from reality. You never have to over pay for anything but when your slow to react and dont address your teams glaring needs it's kinda comical now.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Kerfoot - 3.500
Hutchinson - 0.700
A pick, but I'm not sure what's fair exactly.

for

Tierney 37.87% retained - 1.825
Anderson 50.00% retained - 2.375

Melnyk still saves actual dollars despite retaining.
Tierney is a little better the Kerfoot IMO, but Kerfoot's contract is Melnyk-approved.
If we are looking at a package from Ottawa including Anderson...lets try and work Demelo in there.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Nope and playoffs become just that much farther from reality. You never have to over pay for anything but when your slow to react and dont address your teams glaring needs it's kinda comical now.
I absolutely agree, i too would like Dubad to somehow address our glaring need...RHD. Not sure how he does that.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
I absolutely agree, i too would like Dubad to somehow address our glaring need...RHD. Not sure how he does that.
Deal from the strength which is forward. They have lots of moveable assets who would fetch a nice return. Kapanen comes to mind. Time is quickly running out to save this season though. A loss tonight pretty much does it . There are D man available. Not sure if Larsson is but straight up for kapanen would be fine. Manson comes to mind. Justin shultz from pitt. Brandon montour another. Dubas is reluctant to give away an asset to address an need . That will be the doom of the 2019/2020 leafs. There is always next year!

Eastcoaster84

Feb 11, 2018
NS
The comment simply means if you are playing a guy on the 3rd line, you aren't advertising him as a 1st liner.....pretty simple concept.

i understand what you mean in your comment, my point is your prospective is flawed? It doesn’t matter where you deploy a player or what someone is “advertising” him as. sure people toss around top4 top6 first liner but in reality a player’s deployment on current team at a position of strength or weakness has no barring on actual value
Value is based on skills/position/contract/underlying stats

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Deal from the strength which is forward. They have lots of moveable assets who would fetch a nice return. Kapanen comes to mind. Time is quickly running out to save this season though. A loss tonight pretty much does it . There are D man available. Not sure if Larsson is but straight up for kapanen would be fine. Manson comes to mind. Justin shultz from pitt. Brandon montour another. Dubas is reluctant to give away an asset to address an need . That will be the doom of the 2019/2020 leafs. There is always next year!
Manson would be my #1 target, i don't think Anaheim deals him for Kapanen+ though. Montour might work, would love Larsson as well.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
TSN just basically said no playoff team really looking for a goalie so there is a false market sparked by fear mongering.

Lol at the fear mongering here. Keep trying.

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010
TSN just basically said no playoff team really looking for a goalie so there is a false market sparked by fear mongering.

On tsn, Dreger said the panthers need and are actively looking for a backup, and have more assets than toronto. There is lots of competition for the leafs in the goalie market

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
On tsn, Dreger said the panthers need and are actively looking for a backup, and have more assets than toronto. There is lots of competition for the leafs in the goalie market
So one team and like 10 goalies? Lol k.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Self-delusion is often the most difficult obstacle to overcome.

2 goals against in 6 seconds could serve as a handy red pill though.

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010
So one team and like 10 goalies? Lol k.
10 goalies? The TSN segment you have already referred to, and apparently didn’t comprehend, already debunked your theory.

Ryan Miller is a no go, won’t waive. Georgiev will cost too much. Campbell not on the block, Quick is. And they touched on a few others.

Try paying attention next time you bring up a poorly thought out point

And as I say this, the price for a goalie to the leafs keeps going up and up with how obvious it is that Dubas is willing to pay to save his job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad