GDT: A Gameday Thread, featuring CGY and COL, Generic Monahan Edition.

Did you get eight hours of sleep last night?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
This is probably one if the biggest fallacys on HF Boards. The same teams in the league that have had goaltending issues for the last 5+ years now are still having them.

Look at the best goalies in the league and how each team got said goalie:

Gibson - Drafted by Anaheim
Vasilievsky - Drafted by Tampa
Rinne - Drafted by Nadhville
Price - Drafted by Montreal
Quick - Drafted by LA

And you look at the list of teams with goaltending issues right now and it's the same ones with issues 5 years ago that havent been able to trade and find a good goalie for them.

Philly
Carolina
St. Louis
Arizona
Edmonton

Sure a few teams have had some success trading for goalies like Toronto and Columbus. But in general your best bet to find a legit starting goalie and especially a high end one, is to draft them.
Yeah some teams get lucky, but more teams find success through trading than through drafting. There's very rarely a clear-cut star like Price available. Anyways I still wouldn't use every pick on goalies lol

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
20182019-20669-cfdiff-5v5.png

Reactions: ASmileyFace

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016

"Do your ****ing job"

YEAH BABY! Mack on Fire....

I want to see Pavel in net on saturday. Enough of this shitshow between the pipes. Call up Meloche and give him a shot. Bench Cole or one of our D and hold them accountable. And dear Sakic, get your head out of the blower! It´s time.

Reactions: arun and AvsFan29

HartKinnon

Nov 25, 2010
It must be nice to play againts Avs when you all the time in the world when you enter the zone. If slumping guys like Frolik can dangle to the front of your net you have many structural flaws in your D-zone system.

Reactions: Avs91 and klozge

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
It must be nice to play againts Avs when you all the time in the world when you enter the zone. If slumping guys like Frolik can dangle to the front of your net you have many structural flaws in your D-zone system.
We allowed 15 shots on goal today. Whatever flaws you may have see you're probably the only one.

Last edited:

HartKinnon

Nov 25, 2010
We allowed 15 shots on goal today. Whatever flaws you may have see you're probably the only one.

You clearly can't comprehend what you are seeing on the ice. Shots have nothing to do with structural flaws in d-zone. When Avs enter the o-zone the opponents force them to boards and stack the middle and after that Avs can pass to puck along the boards as much as they want but they have no space in front of the goalie and no one bothers to drive to the middle when entering the o-zone. When Flames entered the o-zone Avs didn't give enough pressure and started watching the guy with a puck allowing other Flames players to seek better positions. Flames also drived to the net more often than Avs and didn't just stick to playing along the boards.

Reactions: Avs91

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Pretty good game although defensively adjustment is still greatly needed. Nice to see EJ score. He's been really good lately, which is huge for the Avs. Regarding goaltending I'd love to give Varly a pass because he just came back from injury but he simply wasn't good enough. Flames got unlucky a few times when they had beaten him already.

Edit: I'm with HartKinnon here. It's way to easy to enter, stay and do whatever you want in our zone. I'm not sure but I think the coaches changed the team's approach because he wanted to reduce the amount of taken penalties early in the season. Unfortunately they turned one of the team's strengths into a glaring weakness that way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Avs91

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Man, what a frustrating stretch of hockey this is. The Avs just absolutely dominated two of the best teams in the west, and still lost both. Goaltending is huge, huge issue right now, and everyone is clearly frustrated.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
There are still some minor adjustments Bednar can make soon. Wilson coming back, Zadorov coming back, using Greer for an extended period of time instead of these undersized useless players, try Francouz to spark the team, etc.

I think Bednar needs to go back to using EJ like a horse though. Just go for broke with him, and use him like last season. 25+ minutes a night. We all know he has been better his whole career with more ice time. There is no point in saving him now, the Avs are freefalling and won’t make the playoffs at this rate.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
"Just do your job" when he's coaching like a moron??

Does he not get that MacKinnon can singlehandedly get him fired by playing at 60%?

I'm sorry but that's unacceptable from your head coach. If your top player is extremely frustrated, you do not respond with "just do your job".

It's inevitable anyways for Bednar, he's going to be gone at some point...he's just not a good enough coach yet for where this team is headed.

Coach Q could be available but he won't be for long.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
"Just do your job" when he's coaching like a moron??

Does he not get that MacKinnon can singlehandedly get him fired by playing at 60%?

I'm sorry but that's unacceptable from your head coach. If your top player is extremely frustrated, you do not respond with "just do your job".

It's inevitable anyways for Bednar, he's going to be gone at some point...he's just not a good enough coach yet for where this team is headed.

Coach Q could be available but he won't be for long.

Nate said that to Bednar, not the other way around.

kl35ha

Oct 19, 2017
Wouldn’t be sad to see Bednar get fired, but if we do please get an experienced coach this time. Enough of hiring first timer, we’ve let so many good coaches get away because of it...

DanishAvsfan

Aug 27, 2007
With respect to the Beds - Nate confrontation. We should be careful not to put too much into it. Nate is a fierce competitor. It could just be momentary frustration, just as it be the proverbial tip of the iceberg. In my view it is a good thing that he cares so much, but obviously he should not get so frustrated with the situation that he sours on the organisation as a whole like Matt Duchene did. I for one certainly understand his frustration. I think he has been playing great recently while many people around him, including Bednar, Bednar have failed.

Reactions: klozge

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Wouldn’t be sad to see Bednar get fired, but if we do please get an experienced coach this time. Enough of hiring first timer, we’ve let so many good coaches get away because of it...
Three coaching debuts in a row are more than enough. I don't even blame Sakic for hiring both Roy and Bednar at the respective times but I would love to see an experienced coach for a change as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad