GDT: A Gameday Thread, featuring CGY and COL, Generic Monahan Edition.

Did you get eight hours of sleep last night?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
To get Q you need to pay him more than he is being paid to sit at home, which is a cool 6mil. Even if you get him that, there's a question of what kind of situation is he looking for? Something where the team still has some growing pains to do before making the jump to contender status (aka Avs) or a ready-made contender? Poile isn't afraid to make moves and if Lavi bombs in the POs he could be gone, same for Maurice in Winnipeg, DeBoer in San Jose as well. IMHO if he wants to win right away we have no hope in hell even if we offer 10mil.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
To get Q you need to pay him more than he is being paid to sit at home, which is a cool 6mil. Even if you get him that, there's a question of what kind of situation is he looking for? Something where the team still has some growing pains to do before making the jump to contender status (aka Avs) or a ready-made contender? Poile isn't afraid to make moves and if Lavi bombs in the POs he could be gone, same for Maurice in Winnipeg, DeBoer in San Jose as well. IMHO if he wants to win right away we have no hope in hell even if we offer 10mil.

I'll take Laviolette.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
As would I, but I don't know if he will take the Avs :laugh:

As I pointed out before, this franchise was always cheap when it came to coaches, hopefully, Joe doesn't subscribe to things that were PL's downfalls.

Believe me, i have zero expectations they would bring an experienced and expensive coach.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I'd agree if it wasn't for the fact that outside of our top line the rest of them didn't combine for 5 shots.
Yeah the rest of the team sucks no doubt but offense is offense. If we’re scoring 4 goals a game we should win.

It’s not a long term recipe for success to rely on 3 guys to score all our goals but as long as the Nate line are scoring 3-4 goals a game we need to win those games. Goaltending is the reason we aren’t.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Yeah the rest of the team sucks no doubt but offense is offense. If we’re scoring 4 goals a game we should win.

It’s not a long term recipe for success to rely on 3 guys to score all our goals but as long as the Nate line are scoring 3-4 goals a game we need to win those games. Goaltending is the reason we aren’t.
N.o argument there

arun

Click here to hide this advertisement
Jun 23, 2016
Holland
Bedsy is so even kill, it backfires i think. When we're hot, he stays calm and "realistic". When we're in a stretch like the current cold streak, he comes across clueless and seems unable to spark the team. Not sure how emosh he is/gets in the room, but I'd prefer someone with a bit more rage. Just a tad more would be great.

Reactions: the_fan

arun

Click here to hide this advertisement
Jun 23, 2016
Holland

add OT tactics, special teams

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Why are they so against giving Francouz a start? I mean ya, he could completely blow it, but that's what the other two have been doing anyway. Damn right I'd be adding a third guy to threaten their starting jobs.

Hornstar

Feb 3, 2018
Sakic gambled on the young guys to have stepped up and add more than they have thus far. He is in a tough spot right now. His top line is better than any line in hockey. His coach is trying to get his Volkswagen to perform like a Ferrari and it won't happen. The last two games I have felt like puking watching our goalies performance. Watching mikko and Nate last night makes me wonder just how little of the fun factor is leaving for these guys. Landy, 12 shots on goal. Who does that???? This line has their feet smashed through the floorboard trying so hard. It's time sakic opens his imagination book and starts helping. The seats are getting less and less full every game.
Varly and grubs are making millions of dollars to do better than they are. Call them all out Landy. Be a Michael Jordan or LeBron James. Because bednar won't do it

Reactions: MacBradley

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Nate said that to Bednar, not the other way around.

I didn't have sound when I watched it initially. Ok, it makes me feel a bit better. I definitely want the Avs to take out their frustrations on the habs on Saturday night.

For the longest time, it seemed like Pierre Lacroix didn't necessarily believe that having a top notch coach was necessary since he had so much success early on with a rookie like Crawford. I think that line of thinking cost us 1 possibly 2 Stanley Cups. (tony g :mad:)

I think the difference this time around, is that Joe Sakic lived through it and I think he knows.

Hiring Bednar was the right choice at the time 2.5 years ago and they saved a ton of $$$ with his hire during that stretch but I believe he's taken us to the limit that he's going to take us. He's done a good job for his first NHL gig and will likely find another job and he'll improve with time as well.

Within the next 1.5 years, we are going to need to take the next step with this group, I think everyone agrees on that and they will need to get on board by paying the going rate for a top coach. That's just the way it goes. Could they get lucky with another rookie HC?? Maybe...but to me this group needs a guy like Q. These guys aren't available very often. From what I heard, he's spending his off-time skiing in Colorado since being fired by Chicago...I don't think it's that big of a stretch for him to come back to the Avs. He would elevate this team in a big way, in my opinion and we're all set to improve this team through the draft and in free agency with a ton of cap space this coming off-season. It would be a great fit and a phenomenal situation for him to close out his hall of fame career, imo.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
MacKinnon didn't get along with Roy either when they had that altercation in practice. One would think MacK is the problem and he's just too passionate and when things are bad (as they are right now with the Avs) he snaps and goes off on coaches. Is that the case though, or does MacK wants a better coach?

Roy was an awful coach, Bednar not as bad as Roy, but he's not very good either. I think MacK just sending a message that the team really needs a well established NHL coach. No more coaches from minor leagues or colleges. Just hire Q next year when the roster is different which it should be

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Q would have the balls to start Francouz. Remember when Aebischer and Budaj **** the bed? He had no issues starting Kolesnik.
I'm sorry to single this post out, but if you're pining for the days of Q's goalie lottery you don't remember what it was like.

Mr Zappalanche

Oct 7, 2015
Zagreb, Croatia
lmao at everyone turning on Bednar after these two bull**** games. Yeah, that exchange didn't look friendly, but it's not Bednar's fault that these goaltenders can't do their damn jobs. Even pedestrian goaltending would've won these games, resulting in that exchange never even happening. But alas.

It is not just two games. And Bednar have a share of blame for our goaltending this year, he was riding the cold golie the whole season until we got to the point where we dont have a hot goalie anymore. I know it seems like an ancient history at the momment but Grubauer had some really good games earlier in the season and was immediately replaced by Varly the next game.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007

I mean... you could put some blame on the open backdoor goals, breakaways or completely uncovered slot chances too.

Teams may have had less shots, but they sure have been getting golden opportunities gifted to them each game. The way I see it, we win both games if both goalies made the saves they should have made. But every goalie let's 1 or 2 goals in a game that you could say they should have had.

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

HartKinnon

Nov 25, 2010
It is not just two games. And Bednar have a share of blame for our goaltending this year, he was riding the cold golie the whole season until we got to the point where we dont have a hot goalie anymore. I know it seems like an ancient history at the momment but Grubauer had some really good games earlier in the season and was immediately replaced by Varly the next game.

That is the life of a back up goalie. And what are these good games you are talking about? In Grubauer's first ten starts he has above .900 SVS% five times. Three times he had save percentage above .940 and those games were againts CAR (19th), ARI (25th) and FLA (22nd). You don't give reins to your back up goalie with those kind of stats.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad