GDT: A Gameday Thread, featuring CGY and COL, Generic Monahan Edition.

Did you get eight hours of sleep last night?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cody275

Nov 14, 2008
It is not just two games. And Bednar have a share of blame for our goaltending this year, he was riding the cold golie the whole season until we got to the point where we dont have a hot goalie anymore. I know it seems like an ancient history at the momment but Grubauer had some really good games earlier in the season and was immediately replaced by Varly the next game.

2018-2019 Colorado Avalanche Goaltender Game-by-Game Performance

I'm failing to see at what point this riding a cold goalie instead of a hot Grubauer happened.....

Like maybe you want to argue after the start of December, since Grubs has had some better games since then. But every other game for him has been a stinker since then as well. It's not exactly hard to justify giving the other guy a look when after a good performance you have a big stinker of a game to follow it up.

Grubauer hasn't been able to make the most of the chance(s) he has got so far. The team will need to decide if there is enough trust there still or if they need to consider other options. Outside of some consistency from the start of the year to the start of December, with Varly playing well, neither goalie has had any extended moments that would inspire any sort of confidence. It's a big issue atm

Reactions: HartKinnon

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
There are still some minor adjustments Bednar can make soon. Wilson coming back, Zadorov coming back, using Greer for an extended period of time instead of these undersized useless players, try Francouz to spark the team, etc.

I think Bednar needs to go back to using EJ like a horse though. Just go for broke with him, and use him like last season. 25+ minutes a night. We all know he has been better his whole career with more ice time. There is no point in saving him now, the Avs are freefalling and won’t make the playoffs at this rate.
I’m definitely against playing EJ a ton. I don’t think it makes the team better, and really, he’s only looked this way the last four games. It jumbles up everything on D too.

The problem is the Avs get behind and only roll 4 D without Z. Those guys are making big mistakes at bad times. The bottom pair didn’t even hit 10 minutes last night. I think Girard has been awful for a while. He has provided zero offense at ES despite getting a ton of offensive starts. But with no depth they can’t do much else but keep playing him.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Walk into office this morning, "So, your boy had it out with the coach last night. I always knew he was entitled." FML. This going be a long ****in day.
The RESPECK old boy crew attached to hockey is quite funny

One pearl of wisdom from the main board thread was "you'll see this more as more money goes to younger players"

Tragic

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
This is on Sakic now to do something after all the drama between MacK and Bednar. The team is unraveling, and only he can make changes to fix things, whether it's a coaching change or bringing secondary scoring help, or maybe making a trade for a goalie. All this have contributed to this slide the Avs are on

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
This is on Sakic now to do something after all the drama between MacK and Bednar. The team is unraveling, and only he can make changes to fix things, whether it's a coaching change or bringing secondary scoring help, or maybe making a trade for a goalie. All this have contributed to this slide the Avs are on
Mackinnon and Jared need to make a video together like Eugene and baldy did.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Pretty good game although defensively adjustment is still greatly needed. Nice to see EJ score. He's been really good lately, which is huge for the Avs. Regarding goaltending I'd love to give Varly a pass because he just came back from injury but he simply wasn't good enough. Flames got unlucky a few times when they had beaten him already.

Edit: I'm with HartKinnon here. It's way to easy to enter, stay and do whatever you want in our zone. I'm not sure but I think the coaches changed the team's approach because he wanted to reduce the amount of taken penalties early in the season. Unfortunately they turned one of the team's strengths into a glaring weakness that way.
As I said in my earlier post they have allowed 35 shots in two games. They are certainly doing something right. All the teams are giving grade A scoring chances every game. We have had many of those the past two games especially the ones we shot wide of the net and they were against two of the best teams in the league. Yes the top line are getting most of the shots on net but the other lines are missing the net a lot on their shots. They were still mostly in the other teams' zone or at the very least out of our zone. Look at the grade A chance Kerfoot had on his breakaway and missed the net. The offense is there. The defense is there.

This is a goaltending issue not a coaching issue. Not when the team dominates like they are right now. You can maybe argue it is a personnel issue but that would be on Sakic not Bednar. However Sakic doesn't have to rush to get help up front as the effort and chances are still there. He is patient and I agree with him as the problem is in net. He should also be patient in net or we will become like the other teams that keeps trying somebody in net. Sakic did is job as far as goaltending is concerned. It just didn't turn out like it was supposed to be. Carry on. Stay the course for now and make a deal only if it is worth it. NO PANIC move please. Give a chance to one of these guys to turn it around. With that being said I would entertain a Varly move right now as there is a very demand for starters and get a decent asset before he walks. It would also give a chance to try Frankie and see what he has in him.

But Bednar...he is doing great IMO. He could do a few things differently of course but all coaches do things that irritate the fans. No need to change him.

Reactions: MacBradley

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
A big part of the Avs only allowing 35 shots the past two games is the top line completely dominating. All 3 were on the ice for over 47 minutes each and were all over 40 shots (MacK was at 46) and 15 shots of less. There dominance and ice time is the #1 reason for the differential.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
No he doesn't. It's his job though to talk to both guys and figure out what happened and fix it internally. No need for panic move. Disagreement between players and coaches happen more often then people think. Due to frustration Mack made it public. Unless Mack wants Bednar fired, it's on him to publicly de-escalade this. Lashing out at your coach on the bench is not a good look for a leader. Sets a very bad precedent on the team. You wouldn't see Landy act this way. Talking about Landy it is also his job to help fixing this.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
No he doesn't. It's his job though to talk to both guys and figure out what happened and fix it internally. No need for panic move. Disagreement between players and coaches happen more often then people think. Due to frustration Mack made it public. Unless Mack wants Bednar fired, it's on him to publicly de-escalade this. Lashing out at your coach on the bench is not a good look for a leader. Sets a very bad precedent on the team. You wouldn't see Landy act this way. Talking about Landy it is also his job to help fixing this.
If this losing continues, how are things gonna get any better? There is still a lot of season left to play. It's not gonna get any better. Even if Sakic talks to MacK and Bednar, they forget what happened that one time, but more losing will just make things worse to the point where not only MacKinnon, but rest of the team will stop playing for Bednar.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
A big part of the Avs only allowing 35 shots the past two games is the top line completely dominating. All 3 were on the ice for over 47 minutes each and were all over 40 shots (MacK was at 46) and 15 shots of less. There dominance and ice time is the #1 reason for the differential.
Agree but my point is the other lines still did there job when on the ice. There were not that many grade A chances giving away except for those that went in the net. They still provided offense but they were missing the net a lot on their good chances. It is not a recipe for success to be that top heavy for production but as long as the other lines are doing their job providing sustained offense I don't really care who score right now. They would still win these games if they would get just decent goaltending. No team (top heavy or balanced) will win when giving up a goal every 3.5 shots.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
If this losing continues, how are things gonna get any better? There is still a lot of season left to play. It's not gonna get any better. Even if Sakic talks to MacK and Bednar, they forget what happened that one time, but more losing will just make things worse to the point where not only MacKinnon, but rest of the team will stop playing for Bednar.
If they keep playing this way and manage their frustration wins will start coming. Goaltanding will get better and they will also start getting bounces their way defensively.

Bednar said it best in the post-game interview: right now they have to play a perfect D game to win. He stopped short of blaming the goalies but it was obvious he was. They make a mistake (like any other team) and it's in the back of the net. That's why they are frustrated not because of the way Bednar or Sakic are running the team. They know they are playing very well. I don't think there that big of a problem between Bednar and Mack. I'll wait to hear more of the story before asking for changes.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
To get Q you need to pay him more than he is being paid to sit at home, which is a cool 6mil. Even if you get him that, there's a question of what kind of situation is he looking for? Something where the team still has some growing pains to do before making the jump to contender status (aka Avs) or a ready-made contender? Poile isn't afraid to make moves and if Lavi bombs in the POs he could be gone, same for Maurice in Winnipeg, DeBoer in San Jose as well. IMHO if he wants to win right away we have no hope in hell even if we offer 10mil.
Not sure I agree, everyone knows I think Q is insanely overrated, but he has a house in Vail and I get the sense that he loves Colorado (he's been here ever since '95). He would probably take a more reasonable fee to come here and coach than to the likes of St. Louis or Philadelphia.

I've complained about Bednar in the past, but I want to see him with some more actual talent before we're talking about a coaching change here. We're only one season removed from being one of the worst teams in about a decade, of course there would be some rust to iron out (not targeting you specifically, but everyone who w.

Last edited:

Mr Zappalanche

Oct 7, 2015
Zagreb, Croatia
That is the life of a back up goalie. And what are these good games you are talking about? In Grubauer's first ten starts he has above .900 SVS% five times. Three times he had save percentage above .940 and those games were againts CAR (19th), ARI (25th) and FLA (22nd). You don't give reins to your back up goalie with those kind of stats.

Well Grubauer wasnt just a back up goalie, he was brought here to challange Varly for starter position. He is doing terrible job atm but Varly is just as bad.

2018-2019 Colorado Avalanche Goaltender Game-by-Game Performance

I'm failing to see at what point this riding a cold goalie instead of a hot Grubauer happened.....

Like maybe you want to argue after the start of December, since Grubs has had some better games since then. But every other game for him has been a stinker since then as well. It's not exactly hard to justify giving the other guy a look when after a good performance you have a big stinker of a game to follow it up.

Grubauer hasn't been able to make the most of the chance(s) he has got so far. The team will need to decide if there is enough trust there still or if they need to consider other options. Outside of some consistency from the start of the year to the start of December, with Varly playing well, neither goalie has had any extended moments that would inspire any sort of confidence. It's a big issue atm

I may have overblown statement that Bednar was running cold goalie whole season but I still have a feeling that he didnt used the best goalie at times. IMO Pavel deserved to start this game, that would send the message to both Varly and Grubauer to wake the f*** up.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Well Grubauer wasnt just a back up goalie, he was brought here to challange Varly for starter position. He is doing terrible job atm but Varly is just as bad.
Not sure that is accurate, Grubauer was brought in to solidify the position due to Varlamov's injury history. The problem is that Varly has fallen off the cliff this season not really because of injury problems and Grubs has been just as inconsistent to take over the position. So instead of having a 1A and 2A that Sakic envisioned, we're getting 2C and 2C.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Semyon Varlamov has dropped the ball and Philipp Grubauer has been equally bad in net. The Avalanche have just an .865 save percentage over the last calendar month. Varlamov started the season with a .930 save percentage in his first 18 appearances; he has an .849 mark since then. Grubauer hasn’t been much better at .876.

Gross.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
There are still some minor adjustments Bednar can make soon. Wilson coming back, Zadorov coming back, using Greer for an extended period of time instead of these undersized useless players, try Francouz to spark the team, etc.

I think Bednar needs to go back to using EJ like a horse though. Just go for broke with him, and use him like last season. 25+ minutes a night. We all know he has been better his whole career with more ice time. There is no point in saving him now, the Avs are freefalling and won’t make the playoffs at this rate.
Agreed 100%. Bednar needs to be way more proactive.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
The MacKinnon fall is still the best part of the clip but an underrated part I just noticed is Jost uncomfortably sitting there like a child when his parents are arguing.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
The MacKinnon fall is still the best part of the clip but an underrated part I just noticed is Jost uncomfortably sitting there like a child when his parents are arguing.
Ehhhhhh foreshadowing? Jost parents are divorced, remember? There is not one single mention of his father in any single article about him like ever (his father wasn't even there during his draft compared to RNH who's parents are also divorced). Just that he moved away from his Mom to his grandparents to continue his AAA hockey when he got older.

He probably got PTSD there.

Reactions: AvsMakar08

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
If they keep playing this way and manage their frustration wins will start coming. Goaltanding will get better and they will also start getting bounces their way defensively.

Bednar said it best in the post-game interview: right now they have to play a perfect D game to win. He stopped short of blaming the goalies but it was obvious he was. They make a mistake (like any other team) and it's in the back of the net. That's why they are frustrated not because of the way Bednar or Sakic are running the team. They know they are playing very well. I don't think there that big of a problem between Bednar and Mack. I'll wait to hear more of the story before asking for changes.
I keep hearing they playing very well just not getting the wins, you cant win when you fall behind by couple of goals every single game then try to come back. When was the last time this team scored the 1st goal other than the Rangers game? If I remember correctly they did score 1st in that one, but other than that, they haven't had a lead in games for a while now. If that's playing very well then I dont know what to say.

They did outshot the opponents last two games but no one on this team can finish besides the 1st line. If they keep acknowledging that they are playing very well, this losing is gonna continue. They're not playing very well, they need to get a lead, play with a lead and win a game to be considered playing well

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad