GDT: "A Fistful of Dallas" - Sharks @ Dallas - 10/17 - 5:30 PM (PT) - CSN-CA, FS-SW, KFOX

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
Buddy, you just won major points with me :laugh:

I feel for you and the club down there. Long live Sharks hockey in Texas!

Thanks! We had a good turnout for our group AND there was a ton of teal in the crowd overall. I recommend to ANYONE who lives out of the Bay Area to join/start a Sharks fan group and find the closest Sharks to you. I've made many friends this way and it's fun to share our joy, and it helps to ease the pain.

Our group even has people who come down from OK and from distant parts of TX from here (Austin/Houston). Real dedication for a Thursday night game with people having school and work and stuff.

ChompChomp

Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
Not worried about Dallas, they won't make the playoffs. And if they did I'd love to get that draw. Easy round one.

It's nearly impossible for the Sharks and Stars to meet in Round 1. Not impossible, but too many things have to fall into place for it to happen. More likely (on paper) for a WCF, but in actuality it's tough to see the Stars coming out of the Central div playoffs.

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
It's nearly impossible for the Sharks and Stars to meet in Round 1. Not impossible, but too many things have to fall into place for it to happen. More likely (on paper) for a WCF, but in actuality it's tough to see the Stars coming out of the Central div playoffs.

If both wild cards were to come out of the central and the sharks were to win the west they could play the stars in the first round.

Anyways... I don't care "how they play us." Our roster is infinitely more talented than theirs and in a 5 or 7 game series, no way they luck their way to 3-4 wins. Especially without home ice advantage.

But really it's a silly debate to have. The Stars are not making the playoffs, as i said.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Didn't think Marleau was that good today either. His mind didn't seem in it for the first two periods; bad passes in both zones, slow on puck retrievals, etc. Again, the only big forward that I thought had a good game was Pavelski.

Was a big reason for Kennedy's goal. Was instrumental in killing the 4 minute power play with Pavelski. Him and his line didn't allow anything defensively and were the most dangerous line...the only line untouched by the line juggling.

Not a perfect game but it was a good game. Nobody, not even Pavelski, was immune to the bad passes made in this game. Pavs had a great pass to set up Nieto but he was pretty weak on the power play. He was mostly stationary and himself only had that one chance that he didn't bury.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Uh....no. Not easy considering the way they play us.

A healthy Sharks team is skating circles around this Dallas team. The Sharks were average at best in this game and never trailed and that was probably the best that Dallas could put out there with what they have. I'm not concerned about them.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I don't think Dallas can play much better than they have the last two games. They just don't have the proven talent up front outside of Seguin, Benn and Whitney. Everyone else you don't know what you have. They have a good group going forward.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Was a big reason for Kennedy's goal. Was instrumental in killing the 4 minute power play with Pavelski. Him and his line didn't allow anything defensively and were the most dangerous line...the only line untouched by the line juggling.

I wouldn't say he was a big reason for Kennedy's goal. All he provided was a slight moving screen (the main screen was Daley). Just a great shot and a weak goal by Ellis.
That 4 minute PP was a mess by everyone except Niemi. Scrambly and a ton of failed clears (mainly because the ice looked terrible). Actually thought Couture was the best PKer during that kill.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
I wouldn't say he was a big reason for Kennedy's goal. All he provided was a slight moving screen (the main screen was Daley). Just a great shot and a weak goal by Ellis.
That 4 minute PP was a mess by everyone except Niemi. Scrambly and a ton of failed clears (mainly because the ice looked terrible).

The Sharks couldn't connect two passes tonight to save their lives, they just looked out of sync all night. I think the Boyle thing took the wind out of their sales more than we realized and the day off just put them to sleep.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
That 4 minute PP was a mess by everyone except Niemi. Scrambly and a ton of failed clears (mainly because the ice looked terrible). Actually thought Couture was the best PKer during that kill.

Daley isn't there if Marleau isn't cruising where he is. That PK was definitely the best Couture put out there tonight. But even with a scrambly kill, they put in the work and defended well.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
It is to me. Not because of importance, but because we have a moron for a coach and this proves it.

Putting aside the rest of the game, with what we've seen with Hertl, there's no excuse to not have in the SO.

All game our fan club president was asking me when I'd start the Fire T-Mac stuff. I told him "not yet, not his fault Irwin and Demers are trash tonight" and "Well, we never play Dallas well, I can't exactly put that on T-Mac."

But then I didn't see Hertl in the 4 on 4 OT. Okay I guess. But when the shootout came, what Hertl was born to do, and I told him if they don't put Hertl in the first 3 shooters, I'm doing my first fire T-Mac. Hertl never came and we didn't get a SO order at the game so we only knew when Burns took the ice. After Burns miss I went nuts and was literally trying to pull my hair out. Granted, it was more for the amusement of our fan group, but there was some real frustration in there in terms of our coach.

So...SACK T-MAC NOW.

Before you dismiss this rant as I expect, put yourself in my shoes. I go to 1-2 games a year....in Dallas, where they can't put anything close to a 60 minute effort and then have to hear it from Stars "fans."

It's getting hard to attend Sharks @ Stars games without getting irate. Thank God this is the only time the Sharks visit Dallas this year. Even wife said if we go to SJ during the season, she won't go to a home game if they play the Stars. Just sick of it. (And please spare me the "Well, don't go then." If I have one chance to see my #1 team, I'm gonna take it. Even in Dallas. :cry::cry::cry:)

I have limited number of chances to see the Sharks play live every year. It happens in Vancouver where the team plays very well most of the time and handles the Canucks expertly. As such Todd McLellan is a great coach who clearly knows how to lead a team to victory. And therefore he doesn't deserve any call to be fired.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
The Sharks couldn't connect two passes tonight to save their lives, they just looked out of sync all night. I think the Boyle thing took the wind out of their sales more than we realized and the day off just put them to sleep.

I'm betting this had a substantial effect along with missing his presence on the ice. I also wonder how it has affected Hertl. After his couple of run ins and then seeing what can really happen over here I wonder how much it will affect his thinking.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Daley isn't there if Marleau isn't cruising where he is. That PK was definitely the best Couture put out there tonight. But even with a scrambly kill, they put in the work and defended well.

Still wouldn't classify Marleau as a "big reason" for that goal. Daley played that extremely passively from the start.
I'd say they were fortunate on that scrambly kill. Pavelski and Marleau weren't bad, but I wouldn't say they were good. Niemi just made a ton of key saves or Dallas shot wide.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Still wouldn't classify Marleau as a "big reason" for that goal. Daley played that extremely passively from the start.
I'd say they were fortunate on that scrambly kill. Pavelski and Marleau weren't bad, but I wouldn't say they were good. Niemi just made a ton of key saves or Dallas shot wide.

I would say then that your expectations may be a tad high. lol

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Marleau had a good game

Goal, played well defensively, and set the screen for Kennedy.

He came off a 3 pt night. No problems with his game tonight considering the bar set by the team overall.

SharksFan1

Aug 9, 2010
Orange County, CA

I think you are right, but it wasn't like they rolled over and played dead. They lost in the shootout.

ChompChomp

Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX

I can always count on you to be the voice of reason HB. I'm off the ledge now.

Still hate going to games in Dallas though...:laugh:

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Marleau had a good game

Goal, played well defensively, and set the screen for Kennedy.

He came off a 3 pt night. No problems with his game tonight considering the bar set by the team overall.

Couture had the worst game on that line..he seemed to be the most visibly shook up about what happened to Boyle and he looked off tonight.

FINatic inhockeytown

Apr 12, 2009
Detroit
Not sure if this has been mentioned. If you put Hertl in on the shootout when the Sharks are trying to preserve a perfect record and it's his first chance to experience this at this level do you want him to have that much pressure? If he didn't score what would that do his confidence going foreword?

JayP812

The Team of Tomorrow
Aug 16, 2010
Bay Area
The full video:

CSN just showed the crying parts. The only redeeming part of it was this reaction shot from the boys in the studio, after the video aired:

BrodHediWTF.jpg~original

Am I the only one who thought this was really sweet? I know it's a grown man crying about hockey, but he's not crying about losing a game or a series, it's about a great player suffering a potentially serious injury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad