Value of: A Finnish player to EDM (that's a regular in the lineup)

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
The Oil bought out Korpikoski - who probably wasn't good enough to play every night - and have Pakarinen, who is similar in role (13th forward). The idea is find an NHL regular who can help mentor Puljujarvi. He struggles with English at this point, and there's undoubtedly a culture shock in coming over to North America. Malkin talks about how important Gonchar was for him, and it seems a fairly common practice to ease a young player's transition. So who's out there and what's the price?

Komarov?

Filpuula?

Any Finnish D? (Vatanen would be ideal, but that's not likely).

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
The Oil bought out Korpikoski - who probably wasn't good enough to play every night - and have Pakarinen, who is similar in role (13th forward). The idea is find an NHL regular who can help mentor Puljujarvi. He struggles with English at this point, and there's undoubtedly a culture shock in coming over to North America. Malkin talks about how important Gonchar was for him, and it seems a fairly common practice to ease a young player's transition. So who's out there and what's the price?

Komarov?

Filpuula?

No way the Leafs deal Komarov to us..

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
I highly doubt komarov would be realistically moved, and I don't think Edmonton can afford to take on Filppula

Maybe they could try to acquire Jussi jokinen? They don't really need to acquire a Finn though

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Im on the Haula bandwagon... Ideal 3rd line C if Oil move RNH

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
This sounds like a real problem for you guys. Luckily we have a cunning linguist in Komarov we could pair him with. How about you just ship him to us for Freddy the Goat, and your problem will be solved. We might even send you Jared Cowen, to help shore up your D.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008

This is what I was looking for - someone I completely overlooked. I like the idea, not sure what the cost would be, unless he's an add in to a Dumba for Nuge deal.

JA

At the NHL Draft, Jesse specifically asked his guide if Edmonton was the city that Korpikoski played in.

2:15:

JA

So Oil should re-sign Korpikoski after buying him out?
Technically, that's against the terms of the CBA, but I wouldn't put it past the Oilers to try something like that after the Tkachev debacle.

My post illustrates Jesse's expectation of having a familiar face on the roster to spend his first year in the NHL with. Obviously, the premise of the thread is to brainstorm a list of potential replacements for Korpikoski to fulfill that expectation.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Nope. The Wild need Haula.
This is what I was looking for - someone I completely overlooked. I like the idea, not sure what the cost would be, unless he's an add in to a Dumba for Nuge deal.

Doesn't work cap wise. How about Dumba+ for Pulj. The Wild have Koivu, Granlund, and Haula...

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Having lived in China for 13 years I admit that at first you do feel the need to be around someone who speaks the same language as you but in reality it's much better for you in the long term if you spend 100% of your time with the locals.

I never studied Chinese, but I learned it from being around it and embracing it.
I honestly can't count how many foreigners I've met over here who've spent 3+ years over here and can't speak the language to save their lives. Going out with Chinese people is so awkward for them because they've never embraced the cultural differences or even tried to talk to them as if they were normal people and instead they spend all of their time away from work around foreign expats who just exist here for no apparent reason other than to pick up a pay cheque.

His English isn't THAT bad. It's better than Yakupov's was when he came over and he'll be spending so much time with his English speaking teammates, whom I'm sure are more than happy to make him feel welcome on the team and in the NHL that I'm sure that we'll see his English progress very quickly.

Once every day life and socializing in a foreign language becomes easy you don't miss home as much. I don't believe it's that big of a deal if we don't have a half a dozen Finnish players to make him feel at home.

As long as his team and the city of Edmonton make him feel welcome he'll be just fine.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Easy solution would have been to sign UFA Karri Ramo as a backup. Gustafsson signed 3 days ago and is a worse keeper.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
His English isn't THAT bad.

On the Finnish scale, his english is in the bottom 10% of the age class.

Some people have no head for languages and Poolparty might be one of them.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto

Komarov?

Filpuula?

Komarov is not on the block.

If he was, you wouldn't be comfortable with the price.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad