A case for firing Doug Wilson

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
69/97 - That's the number of days before training camp and before the season. You've already stated McGinn likely will not be with the team, so that's one less guy. Burish (I believe) has played his last game as a Shark I don't believe his body has held up to the point where he can play at a level worthy of a roster spot. That leaves 4 guys for 3 spots. Kennedy could be moved, creating a spot for Wingels/Shep. It's hard to say at this point...because it's only the third day of free agency.

So we are losing all star players (when compared to scott. ) So we can ice the worst player in nhl history. Sounds like a plan only a fool would be happy going down.

Irbes Mask

Like Wall
Jun 15, 2013
California
So we are losing all star players (when compared to scott. ) So we can ice the worst player in nhl history. Sounds like a plan only a fool would be happy going down.

'We' haven't lost anyone yet. Your assertions that Wingels and/or Sheppard will be squeezed out at the expense of Scott are misguided and premature as I've shown you. If you value Tyler "I played no games in the playoffs" Kennedy as an allstar (even in comparison to Scott) you've missed the boat.

SouthWest

Apr 16, 2013
Canada
hertl, thornton, pavelski
marleau, couture, nieto
desjardin, torres, kennedy

so now you have, burish, brown, scott, wingels, sheppard, and mcginn fighting for 3 spots. someone needs to go and quickly. and wilsons history of free agency signings, tells us that scott and brown are all but guaranteed a roster spot right now.

Brown and Scott will rotate out games with each other depending on what type of fighter we "need" against which which team. One of them will most certainly be scratched 90% of the time, so really those two only take up 1 spot

Mcginn is here as injury insurance to call up and down as needed.

I do believe that one of burrish/kennedy will be gone, or that DW is at least trying to move one.

marleau, couture, nieto
Torres, Sheppard, Wingels
Scott/brown, desjardin, kennedy/burrish

That's going to be the forward line up for day one, the only question left is whose leaving between kennedy and burrish, and will it either be by trade, waivers, or a regular buyout.

Vlasic, burns
Irwin, Braun
Mueller, demers

I still think however DW has one more move lined up not counting subtracting (kennedy or burrish).

Either way we know what the team we are going to be icing will be by next Friday.

Matsi

got paws?
Mar 22, 2005
Chiricahua Mountains
I would like to add something I failed to mention in my last post;

Actually, I don't have a problem with DW bringing an enforcer or AHL guys on board but it makes me cringe everytime I see a good free agent being picked up by some other team. Maybe someone should give him a call to wake him up and let him know that free agency is under way.

Now some may say he's probably doing his best to attract some good free agents, throwing offers at them and so on, but it's just not working out. As I see it, considering the record this team/organization has as well as the amenity of the Bay Area, there should not be too much he needs to do except to offer a reasonable contract. I'd be full of joy had he landed only one of the FAs Calgary recently signed (Hiller, Raymond, Engelland). None of them is a superstar by any means but that's not what this team is in dire need of anyway.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
as it stands right now the sharks have 12 nhl forwards signed for next season. 13 if you count tye mcginn.

this is without wingels or sheppard being signed yet.

so as we have said a few times over already. wilson will not sign someone to a 1way nhl deal in free agency. just to send him down to the ahl at the start of the season.

so now we have to try and figure out which of the 15 nhl forwards the sharks will have signed (if they do sign sheppard and wingels). gets moved.

we can guess that mcginn won't make the team.

what we do know is the players that are basically guaranteed a spot on the team and those are.

marleau, couture, nieto
desjardin, torres, kennedy

so now you have, burish, brown, scott, wingels, sheppard, and mcginn fighting for 3 spots. someone needs to go and quickly. and wilsons history of free agency signings, tells us that scott and brown are all but guaranteed a roster spot right now.

I don't think this is the 3rd line: desjardin, torres, kennedy

I think the 3rd line will be
Torres - Sheppard - Wingels

So the question really is the 4th line.

There is no basis for assuming McGinn won't make the squad. He'll have just as much of a chance as Tierney and Hamilton. And you're correct - Brown and Scott aren't going anywhere - so pencil them in as the 12th forward (doubt both play in the same game) Some games, they'll both sit out. I'm going to assume DW trades Kennedy since he didn't play at all in the playoffs. I hope DW trades Burish - we'll see.

So we're now down to Desjardins, McGinn, Tierney and Hamilton fighting for the other spots.

I'll go with this as our 4th line the majority of the time:

McGinn/Hamilton - Desjardins - Brown/Scott

If Tierney can beat out Desi, Desi may get traded.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I think that Kennedy and Burish are shipped out before camp and Sheppard is on the fence. The org is hoping Hamilton, Tierney, McGinn, Olesuk push for a spot.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
I think that Kennedy and Burish are shipped out before camp and Sheppard is on the fence. The org is hoping Hamilton, Tierney, McGinn, Olesuk push for a spot.

DW's history is to do an almost complete makeover of the bottom 6 every two years. He is due for multiple changes this year.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
DW's history is to do an almost complete makeover of the bottom 6 every two years. He is due for multiple changes this year.

Sounds like he still can't figure out the issues.

But true scoring third liners are actually hard to find IMO. Guys that can play a two way game and score generally end up in the top 6 somewhere.

I'm still hopeful for shep. And I think if wingels takes another step forward our third line will be serviceable

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
The biggest case against DW is a lack of foresight or a reactionary way of running his team.

We saw the push for suez after the Canucks derail the next season.

We saw him offload underperformers after they handcuffed us going into the TDL. Clowe was a good trade-but we might've gotten a roster player out of it had we sold high.

The biggest lack of foresight has been our defense.

He goes out to get burns but still employs guys like vandy/white/Murray without seeing the future scope of the nhl right in front of him.

Then he moves burns up the lineup because he was trying to save a sinking ship.

He then sees subban doughty and Keith all changing games and says my team needs a subban! Move burns back.

Awesome. Now we have a gaping hole up top.

Then he let's everyone know jumbo is on the market essentially but doesn't seem like he can get him to waive.

It's just putting out fires of his own creation. He doesn't see three years ahead, he caters to players too long instead of selling high and truly refreshing the team.

Let's be honest. Pavelski should be traded. He's the one guy we can move and legitimately cover some holes. But he won't move him even though he's probably the slowest player on the team.

I'm withholding my full opinion until we see what DW starts with this season. But if all three of patty pavs and jumbo are on the roster we are keeping the status quo and I'd say we need a new guy.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
The biggest case against DW is a lack of foresight or a reactionary way of running his team.

We saw the push for suez after the Canucks derail the next season.

We saw him offload underperformers after they handcuffed us going into the TDL. Clowe was a good trade-but we might've gotten a roster player out of it had we sold high.
I agree, most people saw Clowe's demise coming a mile away. Iirc the popular belief was to trade Clowe after Couture's 30g rookie season when he was at his best. We only lost value from there.

Same goes for Pavelski. He just had an incredible season which he is likely to not replicate. I would rather get a high pick and good prospect for him now than 3 2nds when Pavelski hits his wall in a few years.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Nope i came up with that by watching 82 games a season for the bruins. And well being one of thorntons biggest fans does not hurt much either.

Thorntons career was basically a gradual climb up the depth chart year by year. And oddly enough, year by year his point totals bear out his ranking on the depth charts.

Year 1, 4th line center. 7 points in 55 games.

Year 2, 3rd line center. 40 points in 81 games.

Year 3, 2nd line center. 60 points in 82 games.

Year 4, 1st line center. 71 points in 72 games.

I find it hard that thorntons career was almost botched by pat burns. One of the greatest coaches to ever coach. Burns had a plan for thornton to earn his spots on the roster. And every year thornton did earn it.
I watched the same games friend.

Sinden and Jacobs wanted Thornton playing big right away. Burns did not, but Burns was pretty much forced into trying early. Burns did ice him and Samsonov quite a bit in the first 2 months, before it became obvious that he was going to get knocked over quite a bit and Samsonov had experience playing against grown men so he adapted quicker.

Poor Joe was made to stay after practice and do rigorous extra work, tiring him out to put on Muscle and work on his skating, and had a lot of fluke injuries and sickness the first year(Making people question if he was going to be another injury prone 1st pick).

After the first 2 months, it became obvious he needed to be moved along slower and that the extra practices and weight training were draining his energy, and Burns did start limiting him(Rightfully so).

But they definitely did jump him into the big game too early. Not sure where the "Bergeron was moved along slowly" came from. Bergeron was 2nd/3rd line almost immediately and showed surprising ability right away for a 2nd rounder. Loved the kid and never dreamed he would turn into what he is now. At the time, I did however see Tim Thomas as great, even though he rarely got to play a game. I kept wondering why the coaches would not let him keep playing when they were going through that goalie Funk with Shields and Grahame

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I watched the same games friend.

Sinden and Jacobs wanted Thornton playing big right away. Burns did not, but Burns was pretty much forced into trying early. Burns did ice him and Samsonov quite a bit in the first 2 months, before it became obvious that he was going to get knocked over quite a bit and Samsonov had experience playing against grown men so he adapted quicker.

Poor Joe was made to stay after practice and do rigorous extra work, tiring him out to put on Muscle and work on his skating, and had a lot of fluke injuries and sickness the first year(Making people question if he was going to be another injury prone 1st pick).

After the first 2 months, it became obvious he needed to be moved along slower and that the extra practices and weight training were draining his energy, and Burns did start limiting him(Rightfully so).

But they definitely did jump him into the big game too early. Not sure where the "Bergeron was moved along slowly" came from. Bergeron was 2nd/3rd line almost immediately and showed surprising ability right away for a 2nd rounder. Loved the kid and never dreamed he would turn into what he is now. At the time, I did however see Tim Thomas as great, even though he rarely got to play a game. I kept wondering why the coaches would not let him keep playing when they were going through that goalie Funk with Shields and Grahame

In the 1st 34 games, thornton played over 10 minutes 4 times.

Then in late january to early february, when he got hurt. He played 5 times over 10 minutes in 8 game span. Then when he came back from injury he was back to playing under 10 minutes a game for 15 of 16 games.

Through that entire season, thorntons biggest game for shifts on the ice was 16 shifts.

sjsharklover

Jun 22, 2008
san jose
I don't know if it's been said but I'm sure it has but do you think Wilson just has a fear of pulling the trigger on a deal or a free agent? It sure looks like it . I almost think that if he fails to make a moves he can still blame everything on the players. If he were to sign someone and they failed people would point to him . I know in the past he had pulled the trigger but last year and this year are really bad . And we are no closer to a cup nor are we closer to that rebuild . Our future does not look that bright

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
I don't know if it's been said but I'm sure it has but do you think Wilson just has a fear of pulling the trigger on a deal or a free agent? It sure looks like it . I almost think that if he fails to make a moves he can still blame everything on the players. If he were to sign someone and they failed people would point to him . I know in the past he had pulled the trigger but last year and this year are really bad . And we are no closer to a cup nor are we closer to that rebuild . Our future does not look that bright

i dont think he has ever pulled the trigger on a big impact FA.

Coy

Feb 25, 2014
SF
John scott and burish type players are the big impact free agents that wilson signs.

And or blake at 39 years old lol.

And Blake was one of the best defensemen we have ever had. Just goes to show how we really haven't ever had a franchise defenseman.

sjsharklover

Jun 22, 2008
san jose
As unofficial as it is the power rankings on Espn came out and they have us ranked 15th...even espn is questioning what our team is doing. I haven't seen one of our teams with so little hope in years...It's been probably the worst off season ever for Shark Fans

Irbes Mask

Like Wall
Jun 15, 2013
California
As unofficial as it is the power rankings on Espn came out and they have us ranked 15th...even espn is questioning what our team is doing. I haven't seen one of our teams with so little hope in years...It's been probably the worst off season ever for Shark Fans

Jeez. That's dramatic. It's July 7th.

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
Don't care to see teirney on 4th line. Prefer him as center over shep on the third line, shep is more effective as a winger. Hope we get to see him

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose

Look who made the rankings, notorious Sharks hater Scott Burnside, the same guy who picked the Coyotes to win the Cup last year. Take those with an Eklund sized grain of salt. TSN's most recent offseason Power Rankings made from people with actual Hockey knowledge had us at 6th.

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
As unofficial as it is the power rankings on Espn came out and they have us ranked 15th...even espn is questioning what our team is doing.

It's vogue to have a go at the Sharks and Wilson's ploy, as well as an easy column that writes itself.

Truth is though, ESPN don't pay the cheques and they don't have a vested interest in our long term future.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I wasn't aware of this, but I was watching Behind the Battle, the Jackets documentary about the 2013 draft, but on the draft floor DW called the Jackets and offered the 20th pick,2 2nd round picks and a 4th for the #14 pick.

Wow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad