Prospect Info: 9OA: Nate Danielson

Geezer WC

Standing room
Jan 29, 2022
the "QMJHL=HIGH SCORING!!!!!!!11111" narrative is tiresome and has been for like a decade now

the WHL this year has had 7.17 goals scored per game compared to the 6.92 per game the QMJHL had that Veleno year people are talking about, and Veleno was 4th in the QMJHL with his 104 points that year while the WHL this year already has 5 players with more than that and will likely have another couple by the time the season is over

not massive differences but again just a very tiresome narrative among the different Junior Leagues
Yep.

Last 11 Memorial Cups..

QMJHL 7
OHL 3
WHL 1

I guess guys like Marchessault, Mackinnon and Kucherov should maybe step up and win something...sigh.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Interesting what having a better team around you can do. This season:

BRANDON
26 games
12 goals + 14 assists

PORTLAND
26 games
12 goals + 25 assists

Same goals in same amount of games, but 11 more assists with the Winterhawks. It's definitely showing that his plays are being finished much more now.

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023
Looks like he's being held out of tonight's last regular season game (assuming just a rest since they've already clinched playoffs).

Total regular season points: 66 points in 54 games (1.22 PPG)

With Brandon: 26 in 26.

With Portland: 40 in 28 (1.42 PPG)

I know ideally he would have taken a bigger overall step from last year, which was 1.147 PPG, but I think the Portland stint has hopefully answered some questions - he absolutely picked up the pace when surrounded by more talent.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
I like what I see from this kid, but I'm not sure he will be a big scoring player in the NHL. I think a solid 2nd/3rd line center is what I see happening.

Reactions: DamonDRW

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I thought he looked great in camp. This team needs a #2 center in the worst way. I think he can be just that but not until he spends a year in the A.
This is a big IF, but if all of the following work out, it'll be a lot of fun to see:

2024-25
- Edvinsson is with Detroit full time
- Kasper gets a call up or two
- Cossa gets a full AHL starter workload
- Danielson plays in Grand Rapids

2025-26
- Kasper gets significant time with Detroit
- Johansson and Danielson get call ups
- Cossa gets at least taste of the NHL
- ASP plays in Grand Rapids

2026-27
- All of the above play in Detroit, most full time

Reactions: heyfolks

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
This is a big IF, but if all of the following work out, it'll be a lot of fun to see:

2024-25

2025-26

2026-27

I think I would be surprised if ASP doesn't come over to GR next year to replace Edvinsson as the top D prospect in GR

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Yzerman usually let's the Swedish kids stay a few extra years.

Edit: Not that I disagree...it would be nice to see him bring over a guy like ASP sooner than usual.

FYI, under the new 2022 NHL/SHL transfer agreement, kids under 24 have to play in the NHL or SHL, they cannot play in the AHL anymore. First round picks (ASP) are exempted. Kasper only played one SHL season, so ASP might be brought over.

Kinda wonder if this impacted the second round picks last year.

Edit: link

Last edited:

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
FYI, under the new 2022 NHL/SHL transfer agreement, kids under 24 have to play in the NHL or SHL, they cannot play in the AHL anymore. First round picks (ASP) are exempted. Kasper only played one SHL season, so ASP might be brought over.
That's a really good way to ensure that NHL teams stop drafting Swedes and/or that more legit Swedish kids start going the CHL/NCAA route.

Not even getting a season to get used to NA ice in the AHL is going to make it next to impossible to bring Swedes over.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
That's a really good way to ensure that NHL teams stop drafting Swedes and/or that more legit Swedish kids start going the CHL/NCAA route.

Not even getting a season to get used to NA ice in the AHL is going to make it next to impossible to bring Swedes over.

Did work very bad with Zetterberg and Franzen.

Guys did join NHL as 22- and 24-year olds.

SHL is a great league to develop. Probably better than AHL.

That's why Lidströms and Kronwalls are working there for Yzerman. SHL will be partially our European Grand Rapids.

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007

2024-25

2025-26

2026-27

That is a fair timetable, some may call too conservative. It appears Wallinder and Berggren are out, at least in your scenario. that or not impactful. Simon is in Detroit full-time next season. I believe that is the only 1st year player addition. I am intrigued by Cossa for 25-26. Of course, the biggest flaw in your prospect timetable is the exclusion of Brady Cleveland. ;)

Last edited:

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
That is a fair timetable, some may call too conservative. It appears Wallinder and Berggren are out, at least in hour scenario. that or not impactful. Simon is in Detroit full-time next season. I believe that is the only 1st year player addition. I am intrigued by Cossa for 25-26. Of course, the biggest flaw in your prospect timetable is the exclusion of Brady Cleveland. ;)
so annoying when people just randomly forget about cleveland.

Honestly, it's kind of a travesty if we are being honest with outselves.

Reactions: Realgud

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
That is a fair timetable, some may call too conservative. It appears Wallinder and Berggren are out, at least in hour scenario. that or not impactful. Simon is in Detroit full-time next season. I believe that is the only 1st year player addition. I am intrigued by Cossa for 25-26. Of course, the biggest flaw in your prospect timetable is the exclusion of Brady Cleveland. ;)
Yeah, I'm simultaneously hoping for a kid or two to beat that projection, while expecting Yzerman to continue to play it slower than a glacier race.

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
Yeah, I'm simultaneously hoping for a kid or two to beat that projection, while expecting Yzerman to continue to play it slower than a glacier race.

Yzerman will have another season before the collar starts getting tight. The fans got a taste of the playoff hunt this season, and Stevie's moves didn't come through. He also help pat at the deadline. If they misse the post seosn again net season, I think he'll have to make big moves to keep his job.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

yeah 24 is an absurdly high number

Berggren isn't even 24 yet

Rolo Tomassi

May 6, 2010
I agree with most of what you guys are saying, but I still have hopes for Wallinder. He has a lot of potential, just needs to figure things out and put the work in. Time will tell…

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
Nate picked up a second assist in the game. Hoping to see Nate in Victoria Tuesday or Wednesday. The Winterhawks expected to sweep the series.

Enjoy the game if you get to it! If I still lived in Vancouver I'd make the trip over. I hope Victoria makes it tough on them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad