Prospect Info: 9OA: Nate Danielson

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
He really could be. I remain hopeful that he will, and just as importantly, that the overall roster can be ready enough within the window that both Larkin and Danielson are very impactful.

I previously compared him to Dylan Cozens because of his shot, size and skating, but I don’t remember Cozens facilitating and playmaking as well as Danielson has in Portland.

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I previously compared him to Dylan Cozens because of his shot, size and skating, but I don’t remember Cozens facilitating and playmaking as well as Danielson has in Portland.
And in specific scenarios, I see Larkin and Danielson being able to overload a first power play unit. With Dylan being a better shooter and Nate perhaps a better passer, they could compliment one another in "gotta have a goal" moments.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
And in specific scenarios, I see Larkin and Danielson being able to overload a first power play unit. With Dylan being a better shooter and Nate perhaps a better passer, they could compliment one another in "gotta have a goal" moments.

And Danielson is still a hell of a shooter. I can see him being a 30 goal guy in his prime. He sets up in the Perron spot for Portland.

I am hoping we see Danielson as 2C next year if his camp is great. Veleno has been a developmental disappointment, and Copp is best suited to 4th line shutdown duties at this time.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Danielson's shooting is not quite as good as Larkin's, but his playmaking is quite a bit better than Larkin's was when he first broke into the league.

I also think his stickhandling is better, as evidenced by that little play up above.

I think Danielson is a decent bet to be a 25g-50a guy. He already has a lot of the assets that leads to a good NHL career. Since going to Portland he's really evolved in terms of how he moves through center ice and how he uses his linemates. He doesn't just blow through with speed anymore, he's getting better at varying his speed, letting the wingers get position and move the puck accordingly.

He's not a McDavid or MacKinnon where he'll pot 90+ points every season just based on his own skills, but if you give him a decent set of wingers on a second line he can drive plays.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
Watched some highlights from the game. He definitely is more of a setup guy than goal scorer.

I think if we really luck out, his top ceiling could be that of a Braden Schen. More likely though, I think he’s expected to follow the same type of production of a Morgan Frost or Cody Glass.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Watched some highlights from the game. He definitely is more of a setup guy than goal scorer.

I think if we really luck out, his top ceiling could be that of a Braden Schen. More likely though, I think he’s expected to follow the same type of production of a Morgan Frost or Cody Glass.

giphy.gif

Fyodorov

Apr 20, 2021

Agreed. Seems like everyone else in this thread has access to some pretty strong red koolaid. Hope they're right!

Reactions: ShanahanMan

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Agreed. Seems like everyone else in this thread has access to some pretty strong red koolaid. Hope they're right!

I've watched him in person a few times. The kid oozes hockey smarts and has the tools to become a really, really good two-way player in the mold of prime Toews or Ryan O'Reilly.

Plus level skating, plus level shot, plus level stickhandling, starting to show very strong playmaking, very high attention to detail, great poise with the puck and seems to know how to be in the right spot to get it back all the time.

2023 was so deep that guys like Danielson, Dvorsky, Benson and Leonard would were all picked #8 onward when they're easily top 4 or top 5 guys in an average draft year. How can we not be happy about that?

Reactions: wings95

Fyodorov

Apr 20, 2021
I like the freedom of HFboards posting but it would be nice if there was a little bit more control over accounts that are pretty blatantly made to troll.

15 year old account = "pretty blatantly made to troll" for disagreeing with an insanely optimistic view of a guy who is not exactly dominating junior hockey in his D+1 season.

Fascinating.

Reactions: ShanahanMan

Fyodorov

Apr 20, 2021
I've watched him in person a few times. The kid oozes hockey smarts and has the tools to become a really, really good two-way player in the mold of prime Toews or Ryan O'Reilly.

Plus level skating, plus level shot, plus level stickhandling, starting to show very strong playmaking, very high attention to detail, great poise with the puck and seems to know how to be in the right spot to get it back all the time.

2023 was so deep that guys like Danielson, Dvorsky, Benson and Leonard would were all picked #8 onward when they're easily top 4 or top 5 guys in an average draft year. How can we not be happy about that?

I hope you're right, obviously.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
I like the freedom of HFboards posting but it would be nice if there was a little bit more control over accounts that are pretty blatantly made to troll.
Yeah let’s just start banning anyone who dares goes against a homer consensus view!

15 year old account = "pretty blatantly made to troll" for disagreeing with an insanely optimistic view of a guy who is not exactly dominating junior hockey in his D+1 season.

Fascinating.
Thanks

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Conversely, mostly the people drinking the "red Kool aid" have been watching him play and have an honest eye for talent. I post a lot about plays that he makes or goals/assists he gets, so why wouldn't anyone do that about their team's top prospect? I've called out Danielson for parts of his game that need work. Others have too. To flat out say he's a future 3rd liner is not indicative what he's capable of when watching him play + hearing what scouts have been saying about him even well before June 2023.

It's honestly just lame and really old when trolls having clearly not watched the player, then try to dunk on everyone else and the player. It's not like Danielson is going 6 games without a point in junior while playing only defensive minutes. It's the same in the Kasper/Grand Rapids threads. Not a single person who is watching either of these players is:

1) saying they have 80+ point upside

2) saying they're future 3rd liners with 40 point upside

Amazing though, hockey really is so much more than that. That's the beauty of it - we don't have to panic about arbitrary stats when we're paying attention to the player and what kind of impact they might make.

I've watched Danielson about 7 times with Brandon this year and 4 times with Portland, one of which was live. Watched him twice at the World Juniors. Also watched him twice in preseason. It's not a coincidence that he's going everywhere this year and getting rave reviews about his play despite not "dominating the stat sheet" (stats sure picked up when he joined a good WHL team...). Which is the most tiresome argument to have with some posters who refuse to watch the player more than once and then die on that hill from their one viewing + stats.

I completely second what Ogee has said above because it's precisely why Danielson was sneaking up the rankings at the latter part of last year despite Brandon missing the playoffs and him being too old for the U-18s at the time. He checks off a lot of boxes as that two-way horse that actually does have skill, talent, and hockey sense.

Everyone wants to feel "right" about something but there's a line of intellectual dishonesty where some really don't care whether or not they cross it when they post.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Can we stop with the "troll " comment's if we're not gonna encourage calling others "homers.."

The troll remark gets thrown out so easily as soon as someone disagrees...it's a sad reflection of society today...

Posters aren't trolls or homers...just fans

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Danielson's shooting is not quite as good as Larkin's, but his playmaking is quite a bit better than Larkin's was when he first broke into the league.

I also think his stickhandling is better, as evidenced by that little play up above.

I think Danielson is a decent bet to be a 25g-50a guy. He already has a lot of the assets that leads to a good NHL career. Since going to Portland he's really evolved in terms of how he moves through center ice and how he uses his linemates. He doesn't just blow through with speed anymore, he's getting better at varying his speed, letting the wingers get position and move the puck accordingly.

He's not a McDavid or MacKinnon where he'll pot 90+ points every season just based on his own skills, but if you give him a decent set of wingers on a second line he can drive plays.

To get the thread back on track, look at his shooting in his draft year. Amazing release, and pretty good power and accuracy at range.

Larkin had to work a few offseasons in the NHL to get his shot to where it's at now. At the same stage in their careers Larkin could not shoot like Danielson. I haven't noticed a huge improvement by Danielson this year but I can see it getting better with more strength to his frame. The technique he's got is upper tier even by NHL standards. He should be teaching Copp and Compher how to wire it.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
It's honestly just lame and really old when trolls having clearly not watched the player, then try to dunk on everyone else and the player. It's not like Danielson is going 6 games without a point in junior while playing only defensive minutes. It's the same in the Kasper/Grand Rapids threads. Not a single person who is watching either of these players is:

1) saying they have 80+ point upside

2) saying they're future 3rd liners with 40 point upside

Amazing though, hockey really is so much more than that. That's the beauty of it - we don't have to panic about arbitrary stats when we're paying attention to the player and what kind of impact they might make.

I've watched Danielson about 7 times with Brandon this year and 4 times with Portland, one of which was live. Watched him twice at the World Juniors. Also watched him twice in preseason. It's not a coincidence that he's going everywhere this year and getting rave reviews about his play despite not "dominating the stat sheet" (stats sure picked up when he joined a good WHL team...). Which is the most tiresome argument to have with some posters who refuse to watch the player more than once and then die on that hill from their one viewing + stats.

I completely second what Ogee has said above because it's precisely why Danielson was sneaking up the rankings at the latter part of last year despite Brandon missing the playoffs and him being too old for the U-18s at the time. He checks off a lot of boxes as that two-way horse that actually does have skill, talent, and hockey sense.

Everyone wants to feel "right" about something but there's a line of intellectual dishonesty where some really don't care whether or not they cross it when they post.
There are quite a few people in this site who would argue they DO see him as having an 80+ point upside. And I totally understand that as he’s also, based on recent polls, rated as our #1 prospect. With all our recent early 1st round picks, it’s to be expected that we have at least ONE guy who has some significant offensive upside to that level.

I just don’t think he’s it.

Reactions: lilidk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad