OT: 99th Obsequious Banter Thread: The Great One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I loved the Aol chat rooms....I remember going on there initially to mess with people. It was funny getting booted off by moderators over such benign stuff compared to now. I remember I met my first online long distance love interest in some chatroom. She was from Michigan. I finally got a pic from her and then probably did my first ghosting action before it was even known as that...lol. It was back around 1998 or 99 when I had my Gateway computer and dial up....
Hate to break it to you... she was a dude.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
Well given that people are paying less and less attention while driving I'll take computers over people.

Computers are amazing at computational analysis but they struggle when it comes to discernment especially when it comes to computer vision. I suppose long term they can do decision making with a very complicated tree but it's not very easy to do. Certainly giving the computer stronger algorithms to aggregate data would be useful there.

The idea that AI would make a decision to eradicate the human race isn't really that far fetched of an idea. Humans are a blight on this planet compared to every other species.

Heck almost every topic now has some direct tie to political policy but let's avoid that.
I'm more concerned about electrical vs. mechanical control of a vehicle. Take the gear shift. Some cars now use a knob run through the computer to control the transmission. The physical linkage between the shifter and the transmission is gone. It just seems like a bad idea to take that mechanical control away and put it in the hands of a computer that could glitch or short. This goes the same for vehicles that use a traditional shift lever without a physical linkage. How do you shift into neutral for a tow if there's no power to the computer?

Asnito

Blood Rival to a Briere Simp
Mar 2, 2017
I'm more concerned about electrical vs. mechanical control of a vehicle. Take the gear shift. Some cars now use a knob run through the computer to control the transmission. The physical linkage between the shifter and the transmission is gone. It just seems like a bad idea to take that mechanical control away and put it in the hands of a computer that could glitch or short. This goes the same for vehicles that use a traditional shift lever without a physical linkage. How do you shift into neutral for a tow if there's no power to the computer?
I get what you're saying but airplanes went through the same thing, albeit for different reasons

DayoftheGreek

Dec 10, 2008
The concept of self driving cars seems like it will work MUCH better the more people adopt them. Imagine them all talking to each other and connected making decisions as a group to avoid accidents, traffic, shift lanes early to avoid construction or trucks.. Kinda scary but I wouldn't be surprised if you get 3x the throughput of a highway. Just imagine a morning commute where people could actually merge.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
The concept of self driving cars seems like it will work MUCH better the more people adopt them. Imagine them all talking to each other and connected making decisions as a group to avoid accidents, traffic, shift lanes early to avoid construction or trucks.. Kinda scary but I wouldn't be surprised if you get 3x the throughput of a highway. Just imagine a morning commute where people could actually merge.
That requires the person programming them to not be the person who waits to the last possible second to merge!

Reactions: BernieParent

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)

"Oh, hey, a cute kitten video ..."

iu

"I've really got to get back to work!!!"

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
I loved the Aol chat rooms....I remember going on there initially to mess with people. It was funny getting booted off by moderators over such benign stuff compared to now. I remember I met my first online long distance love interest in some chatroom. She was from Michigan. I finally got a pic from her and then probably did my first ghosting action before it was even known as that...lol. It was back around 1998 or 99 when I had my Gateway computer and dial up....
We borrowed some guy's Prodigy account and got it banned til the year 2000 for constantly impersonating the Chat Host in every room. Ghat Host, Chat IIost, every way we could come up with.

I also fell to the long interest love thing but through Firefly,which was like a proto MySpace. She ended up being a redneck racist POS and was probably at the Jan. 6th insurrection. Never have high hopes for a girl in rural Georgia.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013

Electronics can experience soft errors but that's usually not too much of an issue with any sort of redundancy. That's why you don't do what Boeing did with the 737 max and sell a single sensor to customers.... From my understanding the ACAS system wasn't so much the issue as just the single sensor, lack of flight training simulator time, and lack of proper documentation. I don't know what they did to the ACAS system but I believe it's significantly less "error" prone.

So how do you feel about the hydraulic and vacuum systems that control most automotive brakes? The electrical systems eventually still have to move a physical linkage... it's just done with solenoids instead of some fabricated bracket/linkage. Modern cars are still significantly more reliable, safer, easier to drive, and more powerful due to electronics.

Tow? Who tows a car anymore? Put it on a flatbed and be done with it. That being said I'm sure there's still some physical way to put it in neutral.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
That requires the person programming them to not be the person who waits to the last possible second to merge!

Actually that would be the opposite of what you want.

Proper merging acts like a zipper. So yes you want the person programming them to be the person who waits to the last possible second to merge.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
Electronics can experience soft errors but that's usually not too much of an issue with any sort of redundancy. That's why you don't do what Boeing did with the 737 max and sell a single sensor to customers.... From my understanding the ACAS system wasn't so much the issue as just the single sensor, lack of flight training simulator time, and lack of proper documentation. I don't know what they did to the ACAS system but I believe it's significantly less "error" prone.

So how do you feel about the hydraulic and vacuum systems that control most automotive brakes? The electrical systems eventually still have to move a physical linkage... it's just done with solenoids instead of some fabricated bracket/linkage. Modern cars are still significantly more reliable, safer, easier to drive, and more powerful due to electronics.

Tow? Who tows a car anymore? Put it on a flatbed and be done with it. That being said I'm sure there's still some physical way to put it in neutral.
Admittedly a lot of my distrust probably stems from the impressively bad results of Abrams computers gone haywire. When they started adding more computers, things didn't always get better.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Admittedly a lot of my distrust probably stems from the impressively bad results of Abrams computers gone haywire. When they started adding more computers, things didn't always get better.

All that stuff is/was built by the lowest bidder.

I'm sorry "lowest technically acceptable bidder"

Reactions: Young Sandwich

Asnito

Blood Rival to a Briere Simp
Mar 2, 2017
I was reading some other stuff on that a day or two ago and apparently the Russian commanders actually had the soldiers DIGGING DITCHES IN RADIOACTIVE SOIL in the "Red Forest" without any kind of protection.
According to Ukraine they have withdrawn from Chernobyl and the city that houses the employees who work there. Hopefully they didn't booby trap the complex.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad