Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
@JojoTheWhale

Why is this a thing? What are the Mets doing with that data/information?

This is a thing because we live in a hellscape where people line up to give away everything in exchange for a tiny bit of convenience.

Do you happen to know which company is supplying it? I can get you actual specifics if so.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
This is a thing because we live in a hellscape where people line up to give away everything in exchange for a tiny bit of convenience.

Do you happen to know which company is supplying it? I can get you actual specifics if so.
The presentation mentions the product being called Wicket and at the bottom it says Access.

As I typed that out it looks like this is the provider...

Wicket | Facial Authentication Touchless Access Platform

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

I'm sure the Mets are highly trustworthy and only associate with other trustworthy folk.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
The presentation mentions the product being called Wicket and at the bottom it says Access.

As I typed that out it looks like this is the provider...

Wicket | Facial Authentication Touchless Access Platform

Ok, so that's the same company that the Browns use. They claim no 3rd party sharing. Even if we assume that's true, the Mets are not making that promise anywhere I can find. Even if something is "anonymized," it's often traceable. The question is how much trouble you're worth.

They're also using it to control access to the clubhouse and other backstage areas, which has the potential for hilarity. For example:

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Ok, so that's the same company that the Browns use. They claim no 3rd party sharing. Even if we assume that's true, the Mets are not making that promise anywhere I can find. Even if something is "anonymized," it's often traceable. The question is how much trouble you're worth.

They're also using it to control access to the clubhouse and other backstage areas, which has the potential for hilarity. For example:

As always I appreciate you putting the leg work into my inquiries.

I just fundamentally don’t understand why anyone would willingly sign up for that. They already have you by the balls somewhat with mobile tickets but this one is next level.

Using it for the clubhouse? What could possibly go wrong (insert interrobang here)

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Why can't the guys at the gate remember the faces of the five Mets fans? :laugh:
... and shouldn't they look dejected for more accurate gate recognition?

Seriously, close friends of ourse who have both worked in data management for decades were well ahead of the curve on limiting dissemination of your information online and elsewhere. They taught us the mantra of not disclosing what you don't need to ("Could we just get your email address to send you the receipt?") or thinking long and hard on the risk:benefit of doing so. I am so paranoid now I avoid things like FitBit or other casual data gathering devices.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013

Haha thats great.

The modern world is such a baffling place. It's just TECH, TECH, and TECH with no real regard/concern for anything but revenue generation.

I think the perfect example of this is the keurig machine. A useless piss poor coffee making machine that is vastly overly complex, full of contamination, generates a huge amount of waste, expensive and only saves an actual fraction of time. There are kettles that can boil water and a simple pour over/french press/etc. will make a far superior cup of coffee.

Smart homes, smart refrigerators, smart coffee makers. I had a lot of hope people would pause for a second in life and contemplate the damaging economic policies in the world we operate but that won't happen.

I love throwing on a good vinyl. Lots of wonderful experiences are lost in a digital age.

/rant

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
... and shouldn't they look dejected for more accurate gate recognition?

Seriously, close friends of ourse who have both worked in data management for decades were well ahead of the curve on limiting dissemination of your information online and elsewhere. They taught us the mantra of not disclosing what you don't need to ("Could we just get your email address to send you the receipt?") or thinking long and hard on the risk:benefit of doing so. I am so paranoid now I avoid things like FitBit or other casual data gathering devices.

I grew up in the early infancy of online computing. Online bulletin boards, gaming on Doom2 via 56k, etc. My parents were adamant about me not going on chat rooms, giving away any personal information, etc. I'd routinely hear "don't believe anything you see/read on the internet"

Now people log onto facebook and give away data left and right either knowingly or unknowingly. They also take any sort of meme post as fact.

Last edited:

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
Haha thats great.

The modern world is such a baffling place. It's just TECH, TECH, and TECH with no real regard/concern for anything but revenue generation.

I think the perfect example of this is the keurig machine. A useless piss poor coffee making machine that is vastly overly complex, full of contamination, generates a huge amount of waste, expensive and only saves an actual fraction of time. There are kettles that can boil water and a simple pour over/french press/etc. will make a far superior cup of coffee.

Smart homes, smart refrigerators, smart coffee makers. I had a lot of hope people would pause for a second in life and contemplate the damaging economic policies in the world we operate but that won't happen.

I love throwing on a good vinyl. Lots of wonderful experiences are lost in a digital age.

/rant
I love that computers are controlling cars more and more. That feels extremely safe to me.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)

I'll be reexamining my life choices while I finish the last few sips of this Keurig coffee ... :facepalm:

I do agree with you, @Lindberg. I've posted about quickly deciding to unplug our Alexa device and other technological hesitancies. One that gets at me is electronic medical records, which to me is the apex of great risk and great need smacking together. The problem, of course, is the people running the show who aren't necessarily doing all they can to prevent illegal access.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I grew up in the early infancy of online computing. Online bulletin boards, gaming on Doom2 via 56k, etc. My parents were adamant about me not going on chat rooms, giving away any personal information, etc. I'd routinely here "don't believe anything you see/read on the internet"

Now people log onto facebook and give away data left and right either knowingly or unknowingly. They also take any sort of meme post as fact.
I loved the Aol chat rooms....I remember going on there initially to mess with people. It was funny getting booted off by moderators over such benign stuff compared to now. I remember I met my first online long distance love interest in some chatroom. She was from Michigan. I finally got a pic from her and then probably did my first ghosting action before it was even known as that...lol. It was back around 1998 or 99 when I had my Gateway computer and dial up....

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I love that computers are controlling cars more and more. That feels extremely safe to me.

FPIB8aiXoAwhtES

NOT EVERYTHING NEEDS TO BE SMART. MAKE IT STOP.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013

Well given that people are paying less and less attention while driving I'll take computers over people.

Computers are amazing at computational analysis but they struggle when it comes to discernment especially when it comes to computer vision. I suppose long term they can do decision making with a very complicated tree but it's not very easy to do. Certainly giving the computer stronger algorithms to aggregate data would be useful there.

The idea that AI would make a decision to eradicate the human race isn't really that far fetched of an idea. Humans are a blight on this planet compared to every other species.

Heck almost every topic now has some direct tie to political policy but let's avoid that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad