98th Obsequious Banter Thread: One balloon away from 99

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I’m not an expert but I suppose you could argue that he’s the greatest goal scorer at this point. Personally I think Messi, Pele, and Maradona are/were all better.

Second this. I won't compare him to the other greats because I wasn't really old enough to watch them, but you could say that he is the best goal scorer now, I guess.

I think someone like Messi is more technically gifted, and it's who I'd take if I was starting a team 20 years ago and had to choose between the two, but I don't think you'd be wrong for taking Ronaldo, either.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Second this. I won't compare him to the other greats because I wasn't really old enough to watch them, but you could say that he is the best goal scorer now, I guess.

I think someone like Messi is more technically gifted, and it's who I'd take if I was starting a team 20 years ago and had to choose between the two, but I don't think you'd be wrong for taking Ronaldo, either.
As someone who doesn't know how soccer works, if you're not scoring goals, what can you do? Seems like there's not much to do other than score. I'm not being an asshole I swear.

There's so little scoring - what are other ways do players like Messi influence the game that someone like Ronaldo doesn't do as well? Crosses? Near miss runs?

Reactions: Starat327

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
As someone who doesn't know how soccer works, if you're not scoring goals, what can you do? Seems like there's not much to do other than score. I'm not being an asshole I swear.

There's so little scoring - what are other ways do players like Messi influence the game that someone like Ronaldo doesn't do as well? Crosses? Near miss runs?

Most goals in soccer are scored as more of a team effort than a spectacular individual play. Not taking anything away from the people scoring the goal, but often the cross in, or the threaded pass is what gets it there. Distribution and passing is a huge part of the game.

There's also something to be said for someone who can re-gain posession and recover the ball. Being a defensive player is a much more nuanced player that is still underappreciated by a lot of people. For instance, NGolo Kante was widely considered one of the best defensive midfielders in the game over the last few years. The dude has absolutely no feet in terms of passing, but he is an absolute hound on the ball and amazing defensively. His pressure allows other players to play differently because of how well he plays his role. Roles are probably a little more prevalent in soccer than any other sport.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Most goals in soccer are scored as more of a team effort than a spectacular individual play. Not taking anything away from the people scoring the goal, but often the cross in, or the threaded pass is what gets it there. Distribution and passing is a huge part of the game.

There's also something to be said for someone who can re-gain posession and recover the ball. Being a defensive player is a much more nuanced player that is still underappreciated by a lot of people. For instance, NGolo Kante was widely considered one of the best defensive midfielders in the game over the last few years. The dude has absolutely no feet in terms of passing, but he is an absolute hound on the ball and amazing defensively. His pressure allows other players to play differently because of how well he plays his role. Roles are probably a little more prevalent in soccer than any other sport.
Is Messi one of those defensive wizards? I know he's well known for his passing on top of being a great goal scorer.

So Ronaldo is more one dimensional (even though that dimension is likely the best goal scoring touch ever) but the flip side is someone like Messi is excellent in multiple facets of the game?

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Is Messi one of those defensive wizards? I know he's well known for his passing on top of being a great goal scorer.

So Ronaldo is more one dimensional (even though that dimension is likely the best goal scoring touch ever) but the flip side is someone like Messi is excellent in multiple facets of the game?

Neither are terribly spectacular defensively - especially at this point in time. I think you have it though. These are just my opinions, but:

In their primes I would say Ronaldo was the better goal scorer, and better in the air. You could argue that he's also the more 'clutch' player as well, if you believe in such things.

Messi had better vision and 'Football IQ' if you will, who could take you on one on one or thread the pass and leave you behind. Still a good goal scorer but a notch below Ronaldo in that respect. I'd take Messi on free kicks over Ronaldo as well, though I know some may find that controversial.

Reactions: DancingPanther

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019
Soccer/Football fans - is Ronaldo the goat? Why? Why is it not Messi? Is there someone else in the conversation?
Maradona for me. Certain old timers will say George Best. Pele isn’t even the best Brazilian player. Portuguese Ronaldo isn’t better than Messi for this generation imho

Reactions: Starat327

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019
Neither are terribly spectacular defensively - especially at this point in time. I think you have it though. These are just my opinions, but:

In their primes I would say Ronaldo was the better goal scorer, and better in the air. You could argue that he's also the more 'clutch' player as well, if you believe in such things.

Messi had better vision and 'Football IQ' if you will, who could take you on one on one or thread the pass and leave you behind. Still a good goal scorer but a notch below Ronaldo in that respect. I'd take Messi on free kicks over Ronaldo as well, though I know some may find that controversial.
Pretty much this. Ronaldo is a better goal scorer but Messi just had that “magic”. Messi could do things with the ball that others couldn’t

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
We were deciding a few minutes ago what to have for supper. I was sent to the pantry to see if there was any linguini. My report to the positive was met with skepticism from Mrs. Parent, saying that it was probably spaghetti. I replied that the noodles were in a bag labeled linguini. My daughter advised caution because "they may be impastas."

I can hardly type this post through the tears of #DadJokes pride.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
We were deciding a few minutes ago what to have for supper. I was sent to the pantry to see if there was any linguini. My report to the positive was met with skepticism from Mrs. Parent, saying that it was probably spaghetti. I replied that the noodles were in a bag labeled linguini. My daughter advised caution because "they may be impastas."

It warms my heart to know that this is a family thing, and not just a Bern exclusive.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I think we should all agree to just use the default Like thing, not only for your reasons, but because it seems like way too much effort to go through them all and choose every time you Like something. I mean, that would mean like 200-400 extra choices I have to make every single day. F*** that.

There is still no good option for "I am so sorry to hear this terrible news" ... other than a post quote saying this, of course.

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
We were deciding a few minutes ago what to have for supper. I was sent to the pantry to see if there was any linguini.
Okay seems normal.
My report to the positive was met with skepticism from Mrs. Parent, saying that it was probably spaghetti.
The usual concern that the husband might be confusing two similar things.

I replied that the noodles were in a bag labeled linguini.
The easy win for Bern.

My daughter advised caution because "they may be impastas."

Oh my goodness you've breeded the #DadJoke gene to well.

Reactions: kudymen

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York

Basically, yes. I know this also goes way back, and it's not a perfect analogy, but think of Orr and Esposito. Esposito was a brilliant goal scorer. But Orr was magical and made things happen. To an extent midfielders and defenders, good ones, can control the game and set the table the way great offensive defensemen do in hockey. I think Maradona and Messi are the two most dazzlingly talented players I've seen (never really saw Pele).

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
So today is "Post Your Workout Day"?

full

Hardest and best workout/ride I've done in years. If I can keep this up either I will eventually get in decent shape or I'll die on the bike. If I disappear for 3 or 4 days, someone please check on my dogs.

Asnito

Blood Rival to a Briere Simp
Mar 2, 2017
Russia reportedly asked China for military and economic aid.
F me
I wouldn't get to worked up about that just yet. I don't think China wants to be seen as helping Russia with leveling Ukraine.

Asnito

Blood Rival to a Briere Simp
Mar 2, 2017
I wouldn't get to worked up about that just yet. I don't think China wants to be seen as helping Russia with leveling Ukraine.
Edit for previous post. Military aid, economically they will do any deal that favors China.

Reactions: kudymen

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)

If the past two decades showed me anything, it was China helping certain countries through sanctions and such (N Korea etc). So even if it may not be anything, I'm still nervous about those sneaky bastards being in the mix

Didn't see the edit, i think we're on the same page here

Reactions: Asnito
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad