98.5 The Sports Hub 98.5 holding auditions for Bruins radio job

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
He does about 15-20 Hawks games a year on WGN Radio when the #1 voice has a gig and he has has done some TV as seen in the demo above.

CBS Radio and the Bruins were blindsided when Vegas came calling and asked for permission to talk to Goucher and then were left with little time to find a replacement.

Compounding this, there is a 5 star play by play announcer currently employed in the NHL who wants the job but he won't be free until the 2018 season ends. WBZ-FM could go through the entire season with a rotation of voices until they can sign the announcer who wants it. I can see 98.5 using voices like Gary Thorne, Sean McDonough and others to get through this season. Bob Neumeier could also be a short term fix.

When Bob Neumeier gave up the job on WBZ Radio after the 1999-2000 season Goucher was the obvious choice given his work in Providence back when the Baby B's actually were on a real radio station in Providence. No such option exists today.

All I can say is the announcer that is not available until next season is that good.

:popcorn:

Spill it Fenway :)

Wally1912

Sep 8, 2006
NAS South Weymouth
So far I prefer Ryan Johnston out of the four tryout voices I've heard. I generally prefer the idea of having a New England guy follow in the footsteps of other local legends: Fred Cusick (Brighton), Bob Wilson (Arlington), and Dave Goucher (Pawtucket), but that doesn't appear to be in the cards this time around. I think Kaufman is from around here, but I currently rank him number 4.

Last edited:

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Still feel that Johnston should get the job. Abbott is my second choice.

I thought both Sirott and Kauffman were atrocious especially Sirott.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Compounding this, there is a 5 star play by play announcer currently employed in the NHL who wants the job but he won't be free until the 2018 season ends. WBZ-FM could go through the entire season with a rotation of voices until they can sign the announcer who wants it. I can see 98.5 using voices like Gary Thorne, Sean McDonough and others to get through this season. Bob Neumeier could also be a short term fix.

When Bob Neumeier gave up the job on WBZ Radio after the 1999-2000 season Goucher was the obvious choice given his work in Providence back when the Baby B's actually were on a real radio station in Providence. No such option exists today.

All I can say is the announcer that is not available until next season is that good.

:popcorn:
Hey, isn't there an NHL radio play-by-play guy who used to work in this town at one time?

I remember him being pretty popular, too.

Midship

Jan 7, 2016
Any news or rumors on this front? Have to imagine they've given the job to someone, even if only behind closed doors. Unless they're waiting until the last minute, which would be odd.

roflstomper

Barzal/Connor/Konecny
Sep 28, 2010
Rhode Island
Jon Abbott was the best play by play guy in the sense of painting a picture of what was happening on the ice. I would pick him. Sirott was more "major league" in how he talked and seemed more knowledgeable about the Bs but lacked in play by play skills. He seems to be more of a knowledgeable host of a pre-post show than a radio p-b-p guy.

They would never do it but I;d have been okay with a rotation of people for now. None of them really wowed me.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Today was media day and nothing was said so.......

They may well wing it for a year and then hire someone who is currently under contract elsewhere.

Reactions: Midship

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
A few weeks ago, my friend who is connected to the station intimated that the fix may be in for a BlackHawks minor league guy. Apparently the station manager has Chicago connections.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Judd Sirott got the job

Probably had the best combo of voice and game calling of the 4. I liked Johnston as well, but Sirott just sounded more polished, which I think it what put him over the top.

Abott was whatever, not great, not terrible, but felt unprepared. Kaufmann was terrible.

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
In 1967 the Bruins fired their radio announcer Jim Laing because he was too critical and they hired a DJ from WHDH radio who had NO play by play experience but a great radio voice.

His name was Bob Wilson :)

GOAL!

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
Not sure how I feel about this decision. I will need to listen to a few more games. His voice is a bit too high for me.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
A few weeks ago, my friend who is connected to the station intimated that the fix may be in for a BlackHawks minor league guy. Apparently the station manager has Chicago connections.
Looks like your friend was right because he got the job.

Big mistake bc he’s awful.

I won’t be listening that’s for sure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad