Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Search for Bruins’ radio voice continues

The Sports Hub is still narrowing the field trying to find the right voice. So far, two in-house candidates have called preseason games. Ryan Johnston, a fill-in and weekend host on 98.5 who called games for the AHL franchise in Lowell for nine years, was the first up. Johnston acquitted himself like the pro he is alongside analyst Bob Beers during back-to-back broadcasts Monday and Tuesday.

Adam Kaufman, whose experience includes calling Providence Bruins games for five seasons but who is probably more associated with the Celtics these days, was on the call Thursday for the preseason matchup with the Flyers.

It is believed that The Sports Hub, which conducted a national search, has at least one outside candidate drawing consideration. When the station needed to replace retiring legend Gil Santos on its Patriots broadcasts before the 2013 season, there were several local candidates who coveted the job. But CBS Radio and The Sports Hub instead hired a relative unknown in the Boston market in Bob Socci, who had spent the previous 16 years as the voice of Navy football.

That proved a wise decision. Here’s to getting it right again, whether Johnston, Kaufman, or someone Bruins fans don’t yet know ends up the choice. Even with the season so near, such a prestigious job deserves thorough vetting and consideration.

Cory Trevor

Smokes, Let's go
Sep 23, 2009
Waltham
Really wish NESN would've offered Goucher JE's job. Best call guy in hockey. I need to listen to Johnston. John M. is def not a good guy for the job. He's not a hockey guy.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
I'd like to hear a side by side comparison.

The only one I've heard is Meter, and that was for some Revs games.

dabid

Feb 6, 2006
HFBoards
Jon Meterparel is one way to get me to never listen to a Bruins game on radio again

Johnston was pretty good the other night and is on the payroll already I'd go with him

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
WHERE IS FENWAYS NAME???:rant::sarcasm::sarcasm:

But really, I voted for Meter because when he was here during the 2010/'11 Stanley Cup year he talked hockey very intelligently. He did his homework and showed that he was more than just a guy hired to talk sports. He showed that he liked/maybe loved the Bruins. Honestly, nobody at 98.5 knows anything about hockey IMHO and furthermore they don't really give two s****. I would just love to have Meter back on local Boston radio to offset guys like Mazz and bring back what WBZ had back when they took over 98.5.

On the other hand: I thought that Ryan Johnston did an excellent job the other night when the B's played Detroit.

Last edited:

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
JoeIsAStud

QUOTE: if it won't be Reed put me in the anyone but Meterperel club.QUOTE

Why? Did he do any games this preseason that I'm not aware of? There must be a reason...

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Both were good. I thought Johnston was really good.

My issue is and always has been with Beers. The guy never shuts up and constantly talks over the play by play. Enough already.

DaStinger

Permanent Interim
Feb 14, 2007
NB, Canada
Both were good. I thought Johnston was really good.

My issue is and always has been with Beers. The guy never shuts up and constantly talks over the play by play. Enough already.

I agree with this sentiment. Johnston was very good after he settled in, I am not a Beers fan.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
JoeIsAStud

QUOTE: if it won't be Reed put me in the anyone but Meterperel club.QUOTE

Why? Did he do any games this preseason that I'm not aware of? There must be a reason...

Why won't Reed get it? Apparently the Canada work visa situation makes it tough.

Why no Meterperel. I have heard him in a variety of formats over the last 17 years, including play by play of BC football and basketball and I don't like him at all. Beyond that he is not a hockey guy at heart, and I want the job to go to someone who loves the team and the sport

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad