98.5 The Sports Hub 98.5 holding auditions for Bruins radio job

Status
Not open for further replies.

FribbleLine

Jul 13, 2014
Ocean State
WHERE IS FENWAYS NAME???:rant::sarcasm::sarcasm:

But really, I voted for Meter because when he was here during the 2010/'11 Stanley Cup year he talked hockey very intelligently. He did his homework and showed that he was more than just a guy hired to talk sports. He showed that he liked/maybe loved the Bruins. Honestly, nobody at 98.5 knows anything about hockey IMHO and furthermore they don't really give two s****. I would just love to have Meter back on local Boston radio to offset guys like Mazz and bring back what WBZ had back when they took over 98.5.

On the other hand: I thought that Ryan Johnston did an excellent job the other night when the B's played Detroit.

That is so wrong.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Ryan Johnston is getting an unfair shake as is Kaufman.

Both have called hockey.

Johnston hosted the hockey show.

The arrogance around here is getting ridiculous. It's like anyone who isn't a hockey guy and JUST a hockey guy knows nothing about the sport and their opinion is invalid.

A play by play guy doesn't need to know the ins and outs of the Canadian junior leagues to be good at his or her job.

Reactions: Alicat and DKH

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Both have called hockey.

The arrogance around here is getting ridiculous. It's like anyone who isn't a hockey guy and JUST a hockey guy knows nothing about the sport and their opinion is invalid.

A play by play guy doesn't need to know the ins and outs of the Canadian junior leagues to be good at his or her job.

In 1967 the Bruins fired their radio announcer Jim Laing because he was too critical and they hired a DJ from WHDH radio who had NO play by play experience but a great radio voice.

His name was Bob Wilson :)

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
In 1967 the Bruins fired their radio announcer Jim Laing because he was too critical and they hired a DJ from WHDH radio who had NO play by play experience but a great radio voice.

His name was Bob Wilson :)

I think Meterparel has a great PBP voice.

He's not a hockey guy per say. He's more basketball, but he's also very qualified to call hockey.

They have some great options to pick from.

FribbleLine

Jul 13, 2014
Ocean State

Both have called hockey.

:handclap:

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
good luck to whoever gets this job - following goucher is like going on stage to do stand-up after richard pryor or george carlin back in the day.

Amorphis

Oct 15, 2005
Boston
I voted for look elsewhere, but now that I think about it, I really wouldn't mind Johnston. I have nothing against him and from the clips I heard, he sounds fine. But as someone else said, Bob Beers is the one who's always bugged me. I used to marvel at Goucher's patience as Beers would constantly trample all over his call. Literally I don't think 15 seconds would ever go by without Beers jumping in with something. I've never heard a color commentator talk just as much as the play by play guy. Even during the hockey show, he's an interrupter.

mark3361

Nov 1, 2008
Ryan Johnston by far. He's a good guy, is witty, and has great beer and smoked bbq recipes. Is Meter the same flash guy that was clown 3rd wheel to Dennis & Callahan? If so, hard pass. His time has passed

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Sentimental for Adam as an old PBruins announcer, but Ryan is probably the best choice. He was the PbP guy for Lowell for awhile.

Screw Meter, let him stick to calling BC getting blown out by Virginia in front of 2000 fans or something.

Heisenberg77

Jan 8, 2007
good luck to whoever gets this job - following goucher is like going on stage to do stand-up after richard pryor or george carlin back in the day.

Gouch was a true gem. It's a shame Golden Knights fans likely won't know just how good of a PBP guy they're getting.

BTW, love the stubborn refusal to change the username picture over the past decade. That makes 2 of us!

Good ol' Vladdy Sobotka. He's 30 now. Where does the time go?

Midship

Jan 7, 2016
I like Johnston and think he would grow into the role nicely. Goucher is so tough to replace

HeartsAlive

Apr 11, 2013
At first, I did not like Sirott tonight. Too much emphasis on the "TV announcer" voice. But he seemed very knowledgeable and I thought his voice was very strong when play was getting frantic and his excitement level was increasing. I liked Johnston more than Kaufman, but Sirott was really strong tonight too.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
anywhere we can hear clips from tonights game?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS is my question too. Are these games ever put onto YouTube? Does WBZ have a link to replay a game?

I liked Ryan Johnson the other night, I heard about 20 seconds of Judd because at the beginning of tonights game we had no
sound on NESN.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
He's not the play-by-play guy for the Hawks - he's their studio host.

He's done AHL play-by-play for the Chicago Wolves, though.

He does about 15-20 Hawks games a year on WGN Radio when the #1 voice has a gig and he has has done some TV as seen in the demo above.

CBS Radio and the Bruins were blindsided when Vegas came calling and asked for permission to talk to Goucher and then were left with little time to find a replacement.

Compounding this, there is a 5 star play by play announcer currently employed in the NHL who wants the job but he won't be free until the 2018 season ends. WBZ-FM could go through the entire season with a rotation of voices until they can sign the announcer who wants it. I can see 98.5 using voices like Gary Thorne, Sean McDonough and others to get through this season. Bob Neumeier could also be a short term fix.

When Bob Neumeier gave up the job on WBZ Radio after the 1999-2000 season Goucher was the obvious choice given his work in Providence back when the Baby B's actually were on a real radio station in Providence. No such option exists today.

All I can say is the announcer that is not available until next season is that good.

:popcorn:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad