Prospect Info: 95th Overall Jordan Spence Defence

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
I see a couple of people are pretty high on Kirsanov. Never seen him play and don't know much about him other than what I read in scouting reports. Hopefully he comes to NA soon.

LA's defense prospects are starting to shape up nicely. While maybe not top prospects, Spence and Grans have looked pretty good in ONT so far with definite NHL upside.
I don’t believe Russians exist until they are in the lineup.

Eagle Fang

Less Defending, More Offending
Oct 12, 2005
That's true...but I don't think it will be Durzi. After 19 NHL games, I would rather put him on PP1 and move Drew to PP2. That's how good he is. Maybe they can try both on the point.
Why not?

I agree about the upsides of Clarke and Faber....but hard to tell when they will be able to break in. Can't have all of: Doughty, Roy, Faber, Clarke and Durzi...AND Grans
It's a shame 1 or 2 of them is not LHD. Things will play out. I'm sure some team that wants a RHD, will be coming to the Kings a calling.

The crazy thing is, Durzi will just keep getting better and better. His poise, quickness, decisiveness, awareness, puck skills, ozone play, passing, CONFIDENCE and even shot are all
top notch. The transition from OHL to AHL to NHL are huge steps and he's made the hardest one look easy. Wait until next year. He may be the best D on the team.

I mentioned this a couple of times, but one thing that I really like about Durzi's game that he hasn't shown in the NHL yet, is his grit. He can get pretty feisty at times and will get in there to stand up for teammates. Not a fighter but he'll mix it up.

I dunno if he'll ever be more than a 4-D, but there's a ton to like about his overall game if he can keep improving!

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
I mentioned this a couple of times, but one thing that I really like about Durzi's game that he hasn't shown in the NHL yet, is his grit. He can get pretty feisty at times and will get in there to stand up for teammates. Not a fighter but he'll mix it up.

I dunno if he'll ever be more than a 4-D, but there's a ton to like about his overall game if he can keep improving!
He kind of reminds me of an in his prime Steve Duschene with his movement.

Reactions: Eagle Fang

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Yeah, Durzi's making me feel stupid now.

Time to rewatch some and see what I missed.

Same.

If I had to rank them (excluding Bjornfot and Anderson):

1. Clarke
2. Faber
3. Grans
4. Spence
5. Kirsanov
6. Nousiainen
7. Clague
8. Durzi
9. Moverare
10. Strand

At this point, the only one I can potentially place above Durzi is Clarke, and even then I'm not sure. There's something to be said about guys that are actually doing it versus guys who have great potential to do it.

1. Clarke
2. Durzi
3. Faber

Not even sure how to rank the rest of them. Our right side is very deep.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Same.

At this point, the only one I can potentially place above Durzi is Clarke, and even then I'm not sure. There's something to be said about guys that are actually doing it versus guys who have great potential to do it.

1. Clarke
2. Durzi
3. Faber

At this point yes, pending the outcome of Faber’s Olympic performance… that’s might change drastically

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
That's true...but I don't think it will be Durzi. After 19 NHL games, I would rather put him on PP1 and move Drew to PP2. That's how good he is. Maybe they can try both on the point.
Why not?

I agree about the upsides of Clarke and Faber....but hard to tell when they will be able to break in. Can't have all of: Doughty, Roy, Faber, Clarke and Durzi...AND Grans
It's a shame 1 or 2 of them is not LHD. Things will play out. I'm sure some team that wants a RHD, will be coming to the Kings a calling.

The crazy thing is, Durzi will just keep getting better and better. His poise, quickness, decisiveness, awareness, puck skills, ozone play, passing, CONFIDENCE and even shot are all
top notch. The transition from OHL to AHL to NHL are huge steps and he's made the hardest one look easy. Wait until next year. He may be the best D on the team.
You’re probably right and it feels like my post has already aged badly. :laugh:

It all depends on where they see his ceiling. If either Durzi, Spence or Clarke can play their off side it could really make things interesting.

I’m happy to admit that I’ve not seen enough of him to have a good read on it, mostly just what I’ve read, highlights and just 2 full games on tv. What I do like about him is that he plays assertively with little hesitation. It makes him easy to play with 5/5 and dangerous on the pp. My thinking was that perhaps he could be used as a major piece in shoring up the left hand side, given the depth on the right. However I’m quickly being persuaded that my thinking is highly flawed and that he deserves more time to show what he’s got.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
I see a couple of people are pretty high on Kirsanov. Never seen him play and don't know much about him other than what I read in scouting reports. Hopefully he comes to NA soon.

LA's defense prospects are starting to shape up nicely. While maybe not top prospects, Spence and Grans have looked pretty good in ONT so far with definite NHL upside.
I watched him a bit in the WJC or what little of it there was. He didn't stand out, not that he was bad...just kind of there. Really not enough looks to form much of an opinion. I give him an incomplete.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Eagle Fang

Oct 12, 2005
I watched him a bit in the WJC or what little of it there was. He didn't stand out, not that he was bad...just kind of there. Really not enough looks to form much of an opinion. I give him an incomplete.

Hopefully he comes over to NA. Seems like LA has several of these vanilla type defensemen which is not necessarily a bad thing. Team needs a nasty guy on the back end.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Kirsanov = meaner, imo lower ceiling Toby Bjornfot.

He's probably redundant, not significantly different stylistically from the cadre of Anderson/Bjornfot/Moverare/what Phillips was supposed to be.

Eagle Fang

Oct 12, 2005
Kirsanov = meaner, imo lower ceiling Toby Bjornfot.

He's probably redundant, not significantly different stylistically from the cadre of Anderson/Bjornfot/Moverare/what Phillips was supposed to be.

Seems like they have their offensive d in Clarke, Durzi, Grans and Spence. They have the well rounded ones in Anderson, Bjornfoot, Moverare. Just missing that BL psychopath version and the back end is set!

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Seems like they have their offensive d in Clarke, Durzi, Grans and Spence. They have the well rounded ones in Anderson, Bjornfoot, Moverare. Just missing that BL psychopath version and the back end is set!

Been advocating to get a nasty D man like McNabb. Offense will come from the talented RD we have.

Reactions: kinghock

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
Same.

1. Clarke
2. Durzi
3. Faber

Offense
Clarke>Durzi>Faber
Defense
Faber>Clarke>Durzi

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Offense
Clarke>Durzi>Faber
Defense
Faber>Clarke>Durzi

Fine by me, I'd love for Durzi to stick as our third-pairing defenseman. That means we've got two really good guys ahead of him, hopefully. I'm super high on Faber as an eventual elite second-pairing guy.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Spence is what Clague should of became offensively but never panned out. Seems to be fading in MTL as well. Let's hope we don't rush him, but a game or 2 for Spence will do him some good.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I'm glad he hasn't been hesitant at the NHL level to play exactly how he always does. That's the kind of courage that will find him in a long pro career.

Even after the bad handoff/turnover goal last night he bounced right back. It's the same thing the organization like in Mikey Anderson, plus the moxie of Durzi.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad