Prospect Info: 95th Overall Jordan Spence Defence

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Have you actually watched him play? Btw, I haven't. So, I'm not calling you out, I'm seriously curious because most I've read is he's AHL at best.

Yeah, seen him in Ontario a few times. Others like @regulate have more informed opinions for sure. Like I said, he's definitely a long shot. I'm not guaranteeing any NHL future for him at all. But he's got the tools, just apparently not the toolbox to really advance. He can skate, he can shoot, he's got the size, but he makes some brain dead decisions. But I could see him filling the MacDermid (not fighting, depth) role for a team. But like Brickley he's running out of racetrack, this would have been a HUGE year for him, wouldn't quite call it make-or-break but close. His development and play has been uneven so far and he couldn't stay in the lineup. If he could iron out some consistency this year, there's still a chance. But I'm not going to say you ever think he's a dominant player out there--he's not a guy you see flashes of best player in the league or anything--he's just a stable, steady, prototypical-current-nhl-dman (big but can skate with puck skills, not just a Forbort black hole, a guy who can be a threat if he gets to pound it) who you can tell works his ass off and cares.

I don't want to make too much of it because he's frankly just a drop in the pond on our depth chart right now, he's just a guy we don't talk about at all haha, and I think there is some upside even that deep on our chart.

Reactions: andys

ricardfromage

"You wanted the Germs, you get em"
Mar 5, 2020
paradise
I saw him play in person once last season and if he isn't a surefire NHL level prospect then nobody else is. He is a well above average skater and sees the ice at an elite level. He is one of those kids who you notice nobody who else is on the ice.

PumperNichol

Sep 2, 2007
Yeah, seen him in Ontario a few times. Others like @regulate have more informed opinions for sure. Like I said, he's definitely a long shot. I'm not guaranteeing any NHL future for him at all. But he's got the tools, just apparently not the toolbox to really advance. He can skate, he can shoot, he's got the size, but he makes some brain dead decisions. But I could see him filling the MacDermid (not fighting, depth) role for a team. But like Brickley he's running out of racetrack, this would have been a HUGE year for him, wouldn't quite call it make-or-break but close. His development and play has been uneven so far and he couldn't stay in the lineup. If he could iron out some consistency this year, there's still a chance. But I'm not going to say you ever think he's a dominant player out there--he's not a guy you see flashes of best player in the league or anything--he's just a stable, steady, prototypical-current-nhl-dman (big but can skate with puck skills, not just a Forbort black hole, a guy who can be a threat if he gets to pound it) who you can tell works his ass off and cares.

I don't want to make too much of it because he's frankly just a drop in the pond on our depth chart right now, he's just a guy we don't talk about at all haha, and I think there is some upside even that deep on our chart.

Ok funny you mention Regulate because he was the one who wasn't that high on Strand and I do trust his judgement.

It's tough with D in juniors/college etc. because you want them to get points because offensive D are hard to come by but, I want my D to play D first. So you get excited for Jack Johnson, Clague, and then you see them play and wonder how they will be able to be effective D in the NHL.

On the other hand, I really like what I've seen from Spence and Faber defensively. I think we have quite a few guys that can play D and have some offense, just not top end. Guys like Anderson, Roy, Walker, Bjornfot, Spence, and Faber. I think you may see one or more of these guys and a forward prospect and/or picks traded for a higher end D.

I wouldn't hold my breath on Grans. Hoping he pans out.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Just stumbled on this thread, didn't see it earlier, this appears to be discussing Strand (thread hijack!). Seems like it's been forever since I've seen anyone play, but anyway, Strand has some tools for sure. He probably has one of the best shots from distance in the organization, and his wrist shot seems to have an uncanny knack for sneaking through too, including goals. He has good size, played stronger and more physical I would say in year two of his pro career. His hands are pretty good for a big man with the puck. His skating is decent, but to me he has balance issues sometimes when pivoting (I've seen him fall down several times when attempting to pivot quickly in transition defensively) players often got around him on pinches along the boards leading to outnumbered attacks, his reads improved but are a work in progress, and he needs to be better in his own zone, particularly in front of the net. I suppose if they thought he was higher on the depth chart, he wouldn't have been relegated so quickly to Team B in training camp this year. He's never played a full season, relegated to sharing ice time due to being a healthy scratch (last year he played 41 of the 57 games, the year before he split time in the ECHL). I suspect he will play full-time this year, so he's got to bring it with a limited schedule. He's a lower end prospect until he proves otherwise. I saw a statement above that he sees the ice at an elite level, and I don't really see that, otherwise he'd probably be in better contention for the NHL roster. The reality is, he's not even in the conversation as a 3rd year pro at 23 years old.

Peter James Bond III

CHROMIAK COMETH
Jul 8, 2020
Wow. Not sure how many times I have heard Todd call anyone "a helluva player". Very few. But check out his interview at 7:20 into his interview.
"I'm sure Jordan has heard 100 of times (about his size) you want to write him off because he's a little guy....and then he goes out and plays and
he catches your eye and you bring him back into the mix. And that's all he's ever done since he got here, is bring himself back into the mix every
day. And good for him, he's a helluva player"

Have to scroll to TM's interview.

Day 3 Notes – Lineups + Freshmen -> Sophomores, Building On Byfield, Canadian Memories - LA Kings Insider

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Spence is our best D prospect not selected in the 2021 Draft
Let's wait and see how he looks in the AHL. If history tells the tale, a lot of guys struggle in their first season against stronger and faster competition defensively when they come from juniors. He does look to have the extra it factor offensively.

Reactions: Lt Dan

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
Not named Faber, you mean?
I'd add Grans in there as well. IMO at least, he's an obvious better prospect than Spence right now. The rest non-2021 drafted D -- it's all personal preference at that point for the rest of the bunch (Spence, Clague, Durzi, Moverare, Nousianen, Strand, etc.).

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I'd add Grans in there as well. IMO at least, he's an obvious better prospect than Spence right now. The rest non-2021 drafted D -- it's all personal preference at that point for the rest of the bunch (Spence, Clague, Durzi, Moverare, Nousianen, Strand, etc.).

If I had to rank them (excluding Bjornfot and Anderson):

1. Clarke
2. Faber
3. Grans
4. Spence
5. Kirsanov
6. Nousiainen
7. Clague
8. Durzi
9. Moverare
10. Strand

Reactions: Schrute farms

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
If I had to rank them (excluding Bjornfot and Anderson):

1. Clarke
2. Faber
3. Grans
4. Spence
5. Kirsanov
6. Nousiainen
7. Clague
8. Durzi
9. Moverare
10. Strand

Mine's fairly similar.

1. Clarke
2. Faber
3. Kirsanov
4. Spence
5. Nousiainen
6. Grans
7. Moverare
8. Clague
9. Strand
10. Meehan
11. Durzi
12. Doyle
13. Phillips

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Jordan is flying under the radar. Another mid round d man gem?
For a rookie D man in the AHL he has really impressed so far. 0.52 PTs\G is really good for a rookie let alone a D man. He is not as bad defensively especially coming from the Q. He is scoring at a higher rate than Walker in his 2017-2018 rookie season, Walker was 23 years of age. Also scoring better and much more pose than Durzi in his rookie season.

Spence can still turn out like another Paul LaDue but I think he has a much higher ceiling than he is credited for.
It is going to suck seeing guys like Spence, Grans and possibly Durzi getting bumped because we got Clarke and Faber both RDs in the pipe and it looks like Doughty is sticking around for a while I suppose.

If only we can flip 1 or 2 of them for a quality young LD, it would really balance the d pipeline out.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
For a rookie D man in the AHL he has really impressed so far. 0.52 PTs\G is really good for a rookie let alone a D man. He is not as bad defensively especially coming from the Q. He is scoring at a higher rate than Walker in his 2017-2018 rookie season, Walker was 23 years of age. Also scoring better and much more pose than Durzi in his rookie season.

Spence can still turn out like another Paul LaDue but I think he has a much higher ceiling than he is credited for.
It is going to suck seeing guys like Spence, Grans and possibly Durzi getting bumped because we got Clarke and Faber both RDs in the pipe and it looks like Doughty is sticking around for a while I suppose.

If only we can flip 1 or 2 of them for a quality young LD, it would really balance the d pipeline out.

i had him ranked pretty high in the kings prospect ranking. he will impress. if people like Durzi wait till you see spence

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014

It’s definitely an embarrassment of riches at RD. It will be fascinating to see how it pans out and I think it’s inevitable we see one of Faber, Grans or Spence get moved for a LHD. I waiver on who the best prospect is out of those guys and I think I have Faber as the one I make sure we don’t lose but honestly it could end up with any of those guys being something a bit special.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
It’s definitely an embarrassment of riches at RD. It will be fascinating to see how it pans out and I think it’s inevitable we see one of Faber, Grans or Spence get moved for a LHD. I waiver on who the best prospect is out of those guys and I think I have Faber as the one I make sure we don’t lose but honestly it could end up with any of those guys being something a bit special.

Short term we need to move Walker until the prospects separate themselves into tiers. Right now they all have potential.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill

You have to think Faber is one of the untouchables, he seems to have the highest ceiling out of the lot. Him and Clarke could be an absolute lethal combo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad