Prospect Info: 95th Overall Jordan Spence Defence

Discussion in 'Los Angeles Kings' started by LastWordArmy, Jun 22, 2019.

1. All The Kings Men Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
  2. Raccoon Jesus President of Vilardi Fan Club

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Real Estate
    Yeah, seen him in Ontario a few times. Others like @regulate have more informed opinions for sure. Like I said, he's definitely a long shot. I'm not guaranteeing any NHL future for him at all. But he's got the tools, just apparently not the toolbox to really advance. He can skate, he can shoot, he's got the size, but he makes some brain dead decisions. But I could see him filling the MacDermid (not fighting, depth) role for a team. But like Brickley he's running out of racetrack, this would have been a HUGE year for him, wouldn't quite call it make-or-break but close. His development and play has been uneven so far and he couldn't stay in the lineup. If he could iron out some consistency this year, there's still a chance. But I'm not going to say you ever think he's a dominant player out there--he's not a guy you see flashes of best player in the league or anything--he's just a stable, steady, prototypical-current-nhl-dman (big but can skate with puck skills, not just a Forbort black hole, a guy who can be a threat if he gets to pound it) who you can tell works his ass off and cares.

I don't want to make too much of it because he's frankly just a drop in the pond on our depth chart right now, he's just a guy we don't talk about at all haha, and I think there is some upside even that deep on our chart.

andys likes this.
  3. ricardfromage President Erect.

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    professional observationalist
    I saw him play in person once last season and if he isn't a surefire NHL level prospect then nobody else is. He is a well above average skater and sees the ice at an elite level. He is one of those kids who you notice nobody who else is on the ice.

4. PumperNichol Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Ok funny you mention Regulate because he was the one who wasn't that high on Strand and I do trust his judgement.

It's tough with D in juniors/college etc. because you want them to get points because offensive D are hard to come by but, I want my D to play D first. So you get excited for Jack Johnson, Clague, and then you see them play and wonder how they will be able to be effective D in the NHL.

On the other hand, I really like what I've seen from Spence and Faber defensively. I think we have quite a few guys that can play D and have some offense, just not top end. Guys like Anderson, Roy, Walker, Bjornfot, Spence, and Faber. I think you may see one or more of these guys and a forward prospect and/or picks traded for a higher end D.

I wouldn't hold my breath on Grans. Hoping he pans out.

BlackMetalED and Fat Elvis like this.
  5. Sleeping Dog Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 56,709
  6. regulate Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Just stumbled on this thread, didn't see it earlier, this appears to be discussing Strand (thread hijack!). Seems like it's been forever since I've seen anyone play, but anyway, Strand has some tools for sure. He probably has one of the best shots from distance in the organization, and his wrist shot seems to have an uncanny knack for sneaking through too, including goals. He has good size, played stronger and more physical I would say in year two of his pro career. His hands are pretty good for a big man with the puck. His skating is decent, but to me he has balance issues sometimes when pivoting (I've seen him fall down several times when attempting to pivot quickly in transition defensively) players often got around him on pinches along the boards leading to outnumbered attacks, his reads improved but are a work in progress, and he needs to be better in his own zone, particularly in front of the net. I suppose if they thought he was higher on the depth chart, he wouldn't have been relegated so quickly to Team B in training camp this year. He's never played a full season, relegated to sharing ice time due to being a healthy scratch (last year he played 41 of the 57 games, the year before he split time in the ECHL). I suspect he will play full-time this year, so he's got to bring it with a limited schedule. He's a lower end prospect until he proves otherwise. I saw a statement above that he sees the ice at an elite level, and I don't really see that, otherwise he'd probably be in better contention for the NHL roster. The reality is, he's not even in the conversation as a 3rd year pro at 23 years old.

Token, Vino and Raccoon Jesus like this.