Prospect Info: 95th Overall Jordan Spence Defence

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Spence reminds me of a smaller Martinez, really. Solid defensively, some offensive flair at lower levels, and a smart player. I think he skates better than Alec, but lacks some of his strength.

FWIW, Alec was consistently ranked 11-20 in the prospect rankings, I'm not sure he even made it in the top 10 before he was brought up for good. I'd love to see him in the WJC to see how he reacts. One thing Alec had was the ability to elevate his game when things got really important, and that's something Spence will probably need to have a good shot at succeeding in the NHL.

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
Really nice article on Jordan Spence on the Athletic today. For those of you who just can't get enough of Kings and their dogs, we learn Spence's family has a dog....

Lisa Dillman said:
Soon after the Los Angeles Kings chose Moncton Wildcats defenseman Jordan Spence in the fourth round of the 2019 NHL Draft, they followed up with an interview, peppering him with the usual litany of questions designed to get to know him a little better.

All was well and good until they got to one about a four-legged family member.

“They asked me if I had a dog and what its name was,” Spence recalled. “I was like, ‘Oh, no.’”

Why the trepidation?

It had to do with the name of the family’s 4-year-old dog, a mix of German Shepard and Golden Retriever.

“Her name is Doughty,” said Spence, laughing. “I was with my family and after we got the dog we were thinking of a name. It was either me or my dad who picked it. We were thinking, ‘Oh yeah, Doughty is a good name.’”

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I f***ing love it.

Even if he doesn't fully play full time that's a great experience and quite a breakthru for a later pick!

But he's a versatile player and a righty, he's a good guy to have since he can cover for anyone that goes down. He's not PP only or PK only etc

bland

Jul 1, 2004
I am hard pressed to think of any organization that has ever been as strong on right side defense as the Kings right now.

Doughty
Roy
Walker

Grans
Spence
Faber

Outstanding depth, with a variety of skill sets and bracketed out well in terms of age and likely NHL entries. Few teams can ever say that they have zero concerns with their RD situation.

Reactions: King'sPawn

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I am hard pressed to think of any organization that has ever been as strong on right side defense as the Kings right now.

Doughty
Roy
Walker

Grans
Spence
Faber

Outstanding depth, with a variety of skill sets and bracketed out well in terms of age and likely NHL entries. Few teams can ever say that they have zero concerns with their RD situation.

Just off the top of my head I can think of Pietrangelo-Parayko and Weber-Petry but yeah after that behind them it typically falls right apart

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014

Doughty
Roy
Walker

Grans
Spence
Faber

Nope. Doughty is done... nothing more than a cone.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Nashville had some ridiculous depth circa 2014: Shea Weber, Ryan Ellis, Seth Jones, and Kevin Klein. I was always puzzled why they traded for Cody Franson at the 2015 deadline.

I figured one of the Nashville teams might have the goods but I couldn't remember that Ellis/Jones were there at the same time and I never could remember who came after. Klein did have a good career! Typical underrated Predator depth D.

Reactions: andys

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Wild cards for them in goal, but the skaters are absurd

Yes, yes absolutely right I think Goalie is perhaps their weakness but everywhere else is pretty much pick your poison. And their "D" Byram, Drysdale, Harley, Guhle, Schneider is their top 5. WTFFFF.....

Reactions: andys

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019

Doughty
Roy
Walker

Grans
Spence
Faber

Don't forget Durzi and they signed Strand to another deal

PumperNichol

Sep 2, 2007
I really really dig Strand. I think he's a long shot but all the tools are there and he's just a good kid that you can root for.

Have you actually watched him play? Btw, I haven't. So, I'm not calling you out, I'm seriously curious because most I've read is he's AHL at best.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Yannetti, on Jordan Spence’s background:
He didn’t get drafted – I think he went though the draft in the Quebec league. He actually got whiffed through one time. … Again, anytime a kid deals with adversity – and not only deals with it, but just smashes through it – it’s a huge plus for us. Most of these kids, these kids aren’t handed anything because they’ve worked their asses off for it, but these kids don’t deal with adversity. They’re the best players who are put on the best team and get to play with the best people and get to have the best facilities – that’s their station in life. Most of their kids don’t deal with adversity until they get to the pros, so anytime a kid is showing at 13, 14 that he can deal with adversity, that’s a pretty promising trait in my opinion. … We have all kinds of different interviews with the kid – we just kind of sat down and talked to him, it was really unique, and he was kind of cool. It was much less of an interview in the times we talked to him, and much more of having a chat. … Very personable, very easy to talk to. It was fun. It was good, it was nice to have him there at that spot.

Just thought I'd re-post this post. This kid is looking like a warrior.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad