Prospect Info: 95th overall (2017): Vancouver selects D Jack Rathbone | Will he sign?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
So what happens if he can't play high school hockey, and can't enter Harvard?...the USHL?

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
From what I understood he still hasnt finished high school and Harvard aint no guarantee cause of it. Like his game but if hes that dumb then its worrying

Where is this story that he hasn't finished/won't be finished any of his educational requirements to go to Harvard coming from? As far as I can tell, that's pure fantasy.

Additionally - being "not smart enough for Harvard" would put him, and anyone for that matter, in a pretty damn big group. But again - that seems to be a theory that isn't grounded in reality.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
One thing holding him back might be lack of opportunity/ice time as Adam Fox is returning and will be the everything guy for Harvard.
That would be a positive for his development next year as a freshman..

To have a veteran player to play behind for at least a year... (or play with).
Not having an immediate level of go-to expectation.

This allows him to watch and learn and go out and earn his opportunity.

It only holds him back if his play during the season shows he's already such a talent that clearly is their number 1 option, but coaches keep playing inferior vets ahead of him.

Fox shoots R, and Rathbone is a leftie... so having Fox may actually drag Rathbone's minutes up if they end pairing together as the season goes on.

It should be viewed as a good thing Fox is returning.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
For what it's worth I've heard that Rathbone watches Rick and Morty, and you have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty. The humor is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also Rick's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation - his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volyaliterature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realize that they're not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Rick and Morty truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in Rick's existencial catchphrase "Wubba Lubba Dub Dub," which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Dan Harmon's genius unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools... how I pity them. And yes by the way, I DO have a Rick and Morty tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- And even they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
That would be a positive for his development next year as a freshman..

To have a veteran player to play behind for at least a year... (or play with).
Not having an immediate level of go-to expectation.

This allows him to watch and learn and go out and earn his opportunity.

It only holds him back if his play during the season shows he's already such a talent that clearly is their number 1 option, but coaches keep playing inferior vets ahead of him.

Fox shoots R, and Rathbone is a leftie... so having Fox may actually drag Rathbone's minutes up if they end pairing together as the season goes on.

It should be viewed as a good thing Fox is returning.

Definitely hope that's the case. Just saying there's a chance it could go either way (ie. Harvard designs a 4 forward, 1 D PP with Fox taking that spot for a minute and a half).

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver

HockeyProspects has this Jay O'Brien kid 31st overall in their latest ranking

Last edited:

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
rathbone is listed in news reports as a senior this year and a junior last year. that puts him in the 12th grade even though he is about to turn 19. he has a may birthday. presumably he was held back somewhere along the way.

he attends the same private prep school ryan donato attended. they list him on their website when promoting their hockey program as an all american harvard commit so i imagine they are pretty invested in getting him through hs. i am pretty sure they will drag him over the graduation line somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad