Prospect Info: 95th overall (2017): Vancouver selects D Jack Rathbone | Will he sign?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Cam Robinson is a very in the know scout who does work for Elite Prospects and Dobber. He is saying that Rathbone will not be signing during this three day period. Doesn't mean he won't sign eventually but if he doesn't burn off a year now with his school potentially not playing any hockey this year, it is pretty much the writing on the wall.

Looks like the Canucks will have to start looking at getting a late pick for him which is really sad because he is worth so much more. Essentially never draft anyone going to Harvard
If Rathbone is likely to sign near home in Boston, why would any team trade fir his rights? I’m thinking we end up watching this kid star with the Bruins, and we don’t get anything in compensation.
Seems like a good kid though, who puts family first. He’d have fit in well with this group.

canucks20

Oct 12, 2009
If Rathbone is likely to sign near home in Boston, why would any team trade fir his rights? I’m thinking we end up watching this kid star with the Bruins, and we don’t get anything in compensation.
Seems like a good kid though, who puts family first. He’d have fit in well with this group.

Everyone knew Fox only wanted to sign with the Rangers yet the Hurricanes were still able to acquire a couple good picks for him. Rathbone won't return nearly as much but I'm thinking an east coast team will throw a later pick at the Canucks. I'd say he is worth a mid to late 1st right now the way he is tracking. And they may get a 5th. Hopefully Cam Robinson is wrong but he is pretty in the know

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Everyone knew Fox only wanted to sign with the Rangers yet the Hurricanes were still able to acquire a couple good picks for him. Rathbone won't return nearly as much but I'm thinking an east coast team will throw a later pick at the Canucks. I'd say he is worth a mid to late 1st right now the way he is tracking. And they may get a 5th. Hopefully Cam Robinson is wrong but he is pretty in the know
Do you know if the Canucks could trade Rathbone’s rights (before this window closes) to the Bruins? Then we should get a better return, Rathbone doesn’t miss a year of hockey, and he gets to stay close to his family. Could be a win for everyone if allowed by the league’s new CBA.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Do you know if the Canucks could trade Rathbone’s rights (before this window closes) to the Bruins? Then we should get a better return, Rathbone doesn’t miss a year of hockey, and he gets to stay close to his family. Could be a win for everyone if allowed by the league’s new CBA.
Like I said earlier, with Fox he had the option of returning to Harvard to both play and complete his degree. Rathbone would not be doing either if he doesn’t sign.

Is he really prepared to potentially not play competitive hockey for 18 months at age 21?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Like I said earlier, with Fox he had the option of returning to Harvard to both play and complete his degree. Rathbone would not be doing either if he doesn’t sign.

Is he really prepared to potentially not play competitive hockey for 18 months at age 21?

According to that Robinson guy, it sounds like Rathbone is.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
According to that Robinson guy, it sounds like Rathbone is.
Pretty big gamble to take with ones career. If he waits this out without any more games at Harvard, then 4 years post draft, he just has 61 NCAA games under belt. Where would that put him on his team's D prospects?

No doubt a team would sign him in 2021, as he's a free asset.

But, honestly, I would call him on it if I were the Canucks. I wouldn't trade him. I would have moved Adam Fox like Carolina did because he had options. Rathbone doesn't have the same leverage Fox had. More risk on his end by not playing for an entire season.

Priskie lasted less than a year with Carolina. Vesey did 3 with NYR, Kerfoot did 2 with Colorado.
Rathbone could sign with Boston and come next TDL they could include him in a deal to make a run.
Reality of the NHL.

Last edited:
Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Pretty big gamble to take with ones career with just 61 NCAA games under his belt. Priskie lasted less than a year with Carolina. Vesey did 3 with NYR, Kerfoot did 2 with Colorado.
Rathbone could sign with Boston and come next TDL they could include him in a deal to make a run.
Reality of the NHL.
That’s all true, but with Krug likely leaving as a UFA maybe Rathbone feels he’s got a good chance at making their roster, and becoming so important they dare not trade him.
It just looks more and more like the kid isn’t signing here.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Rathbone could complete the fall semester at Harvard while waiting to see what happens with the NHL and AHL in terms of return to play for next season, and then if pro hockey is a go he could sign with the Canucks on or after January 1 and only be subject to a 2-year ELC.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
So many of these issues are why I suggested Rathbone would’ve been a better prospect to have traded than Madden in the Toffoli deal. There is a growing chance we lose him for nothing.

Reactions: timw33 and MS

HockeyNightInAsia

Mar 22, 2020
As a Nucks fan, Rathbone has been one of my favourite prospects since 2017, and by late 2018 when he was on a pair with Fox it was obvious we had a draft steal. So I may be naturally biased thinking that he had been notably better than Madden or Juolevi as a prospect, and much more a priority to sign than Tryamkin.

And I agree with the sentiment that this signing window is the make-or-break for Rathbone as a Canuck. Would think that anyone would love to play with a young core including Petey and Huggy, and the Canucks have turned a corner in appealing to the UFAs and RFAs, but if Rathbone doesn't sign now it really sends a message otherwise, and unfortunately we may really have to explore trade options. Would be very disappointing for me.....

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Pretty big gamble to take with ones career. If he waits this out without any more games at Harvard, then 4 years post draft, he just has 61 NCAA games under belt. Where would that put him on his team's D prospects?

No doubt a team would sign him in 2021, as he's a free asset.

But, honestly, I would call him on it if I were the Canucks. I wouldn't trade him. I would have moved Adam Fox like Carolina did because he had options. Rathbone doesn't have the same leverage Fox had. More risk on his end by not playing for an entire season.

Priskie lasted less than a year with Carolina. Vesey did 3 with NYR, Kerfoot did 2 with Colorado.
Reality of the NHL.

This is the right move. He has no leverage and is of limited value because of his (supposed) geographic preferences. We'll find out yes or no by Wednesday.

Either way, would feel very little inclination to do right by him. Cold, maybe. But that's the nature of the business.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
This is the right move. He has no leverage and is of limited value because of his (supposed) geographic preferences. We'll find out yes or no by Wednesday.

Either way, would feel very little inclination to do right by him. Cold, maybe. But that's the nature of the business.
I just think that if you put up on a whiteboard, the pros and cons of signing with Vancouver or going to free agency in 2021, given the Covid situation, it seems to logically make more sense to sign with Vancouver. Especially when you dig into the drafted players who did go to free agency from the NCAA and how they have fared in the NHL in terms of remaining with the club they signed with until they hit UFA age. Hayes for example is a instance who opted to pass on Chicago and signed with the NYR and played with them until the TDL of his final RFA year. I consider that remaining with the club that he signed with.

Rathbone's leverage isn't what Fox's leverage was last year. There was a season for Fox to continue to play, plus he could finish his degree plus he had what like around 100 NCAA games under his belt. Rathbone no certainty if the Ivy League will begin in January, but he'll be a year closer to completing his degree with maybe only 61 NCAA games under his belt after 4 years from his draft.

He would have to really want to sign with a specific team or location to risk not playing for almost 18 months.

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
Trade to the Bruins make sense they are going to lose Tory Krug in free agency - They may be able to get a 2nd round pick from now. if they till next summer 2021 - they will get a 7th . if it is not going to happen. then we need to move on

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
If Jack doesn't sign that'd be three straight Harvard Dmen who bailed on the team that drafted them.

Reactions: zcaptain

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
If Jack doesn't sign that'd be three straight Harvard Dmen who bailed on the team that drafted them.

Not to mention Kerfoot and Vessey.

Hopefully Jack shows more loyalty than those former Crimson Tide. Maybe Patrick Mcnally can put in a good word for us lol

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
So many of these issues are why I suggested Rathbone would’ve been a better prospect to have traded than Madden in the Toffoli deal. There is a growing chance we lose him for nothing.

Our prospect system might lose it's #1 C and #1 D prospect in the same year, with nothing to show for it. It's why this is such a masterful rebuild—all that ELC talent spilling over the edges to give us waves of cheap cost controlled players outproducing their contracts.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Our prospect system might lose it's #1 C and #1 D prospect in the same year, with nothing to show for it. It's why this is such a masterful rebuild—all that ELC talent spilling over the edges to give us waves of cheap cost controlled players outproducing their contracts.
What do you believe anyone working for the team could or ought to have done to prevent Rathbone from leaving?

Bob Long

May 31, 2018
Climax, SK

If Rathbone is determined to hit UFA status there's nothing anyone in the Canucks org can do about it. They have to be careful about what they say to him as well with NCAA rules, its not like talking to a kid in the CHL.

It concerns me a little that he didn't sign today, so hopefully if he is thinking of wanting to sign with an eastern team to be closer to family, Jack's rep lets Benning know so he can move him during this signing window.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
So might as well trade the guy i guess, what can we get for his rights? 3rd round pick? 4th round pick?

Too frickin bad :(

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
Trade to the Bruins make sense they are going to lose Tory Krug in free agency - They may be able to get a 2nd round pick from now. if they till next summer 2021 - they will get a 7th . if it is not going to happen. then we need to move on

So, as people have stated.....he looses 18 months of hockey

Then there is the question of wanting to play for Boston......how do we know this

and

How does he know Boston wants him? (I sure hope they have said they do....oh plz, plz, plz!)

So to me, there is way too much risk, all over the place for Jack not to sign with the Canucks

and if he signs with Boston.......is there not a collusion penalty for letting him or his agent know this?

If so...what is the penalty?

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
How does he know Boston wants him? (I sure hope they have said they do....oh plz, plz, plz!)

So to me, there is way too much risk, all over the place for Jack not to sign with the Canucks
Everyone wants him. If he reaches free agency and Boston for some reason turns him down, he can sign with any of 6-8 teams that play a 1.5 hour commuter flight or less away from Boston.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad