Prospect Info: 95th overall (2017): Vancouver selects D Jack Rathbone | Will he sign?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
Perfectly fine with him staying another year in the USHL

He's not going to the USHL. Staying at Dexter for his senior year, partially to help take care of his brother, partially because he wants to finish his degree with them.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Sounds like this was Judd Brackett's personal pick, so there's some reason for optimism.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Harvard commits has me a bit worried since uhhh... Devils has pretty much given up on Alex Kerfoot (and we were/are considered one of the favorites to sign him since he's from West Van... we'll find out in Aug.).

Then there's Vesey last year (also Harvard) and also did not sign with the team that drafted him.

Given how good of a school Harvard is, its not exactly shocking some players decide to finish their degree instead of signing early (even if Harvard has a great program for those that opt-out early/return later for their degree) and in that case, its quite likely they decide to wait a bit longer and pick where they play. 2 examples of high profile draftee in 2 years just isn't a good sign...

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
I'm fine with this pick,sounds like there's lots of upside in a valuable position even though he's a long term project.
I just hope he doesn't get caught cheating on his school work.

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
I'm fine with this pick,sounds like there's lots of upside in a valuable position even though he's a long term project.
I just hope he doesn't get caught cheating on his school work.
Haha nice McNally reference there.

Judd knows and seems to be high on him. Basically the "Mittelstadt" pick that we were hoping at one point before the draft..

Who knows.. Could be the American Eric Brannstrom and be a steal of the draft...

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I trust our American scouts lately, we've been getting great Prospects there

Yeah exactly and the more I read about him the more I like him. Could be a suprise find cause our american scouts tend be doing a fanfrickintastic job lately :)

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Great name.

There's also a Jackson Rathbone. :laugh:

Harvard commits has me a bit worried

Given how good of a school Harvard is, its not exactly shocking some players decide to finish their degree instead of signing early (even if Harvard has a great program for those that opt-out early/return later for their degree) and in that case, its quite likely they decide to wait a bit longer and pick where they play. 2 examples of high profile draftee in 2 years just isn't a good sign...

The other problem is that Rathbone is likely to need at least 3 years of development time. He has elite skating but his game needs a lot of development. Maybe because his dad has unrealized NHL dreams that Rathbone will think twice before turning down an offer from a team who drafted him (and likely believes in him)? But he has a little brother that he wants to be around to take care of. I guess we will find out in a few years.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I don't see how that has any correlation to being a good hockey player.

Biega, McNally...

Biega is a decent pro. And McNally was tracking pretty well until whatever that scandal he got himself quagmired in was.

Rathbone seems like an intriguing pick, and I too have a bit of confidence in our American scouts. Curious to see how he does.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Agree with a lot of posters. I think he has potential, and some scouts (like Pronman) seem to rate him.

But his decision to go back to high school and then Harvard likely doesn't bode well for him landing with the Canucks at some point.

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
Biega is a decent pro. And McNally was tracking pretty well until whatever that scandal he got himself quagmired in was.

Rathbone seems like an intriguing pick, and I too have a bit of confidence in our American scouts. Curious to see how he does.

I was disappointed to learn that Rathbone was heading to Harvard, despite my connection with that university. McNally and Vesey came to mind, especially the former because we drafted him and he seemed fairly promising. But you're right, each player is an individual, and in any case it'll be many years before Rathbone plays pro hockey, if he gets that far at all. Meanwhile I'll be checking with the Crimson sports reporters to see how he's actually doing, aside from the NCAA stats.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
That's kind of annoying. I understand it, but would prefer he go straight there. This decision may forshadow him completing 4 years at Harvard before turning pro.

Does that mean the Canucks keep his rights for potentially 5 years? Dexter + 4 years of college? If so, that's not necessarily a bad thing but like I said, he wants to be close to his little brother and I'm not sure if he would choose the Canucks and be away from his little brother in a few years time.

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
I've only seen him play once, in this game (he's #5 in the dark jerseys):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9mTWGPdDYM&t=5777s

Doesn't look very impressive there, but from what I've heard, he stood out by having incredible progress throughout the year, which is always a good sign. Apparently he started out slow but kept improving and then started drawing NHL scouts to his games. That's how he suddenly appeared in third-round conversation at the end of the year.

Just an excellent skater and smart player who tries to play it safe defensively but definitely needs to get better in his own zone.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
I hate time capsule picks :(

Screen-Shot-2013-06-28-at-1.38.01-PM.png

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Does that mean the Canucks keep his rights for potentially 5 years? Dexter + 4 years of college? If so, that's not necessarily a bad thing but like I said, he wants to be close to his little brother and I'm not sure if he would choose the Canucks and be away from his little brother in a few years time.
I echo your question.. not sure about the rights eligibility.

But given some personal touch here with Judd.. and that Demko knows him as well, don't think he'll bail on us... time will tell.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Sounds like another guy the Canucks picked who went to Harvard, Patrick McNally who played there for four full years.....never played a game fort the Canucks who flipped him to the Sharks before they lost him for nothing...but at least he's still toiling with San Jose's farm-team.

You were never too sure if McNally was all that committed to pro hockey.....a Harvard degree obviously gives you some options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad