Prospect Info: 95th overall (2017): Vancouver selects D Jack Rathbone | Will he sign?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I think it's a more concerning point with Rathbone considering the last two Havard Dmen to graduate that program decided not to sign with their NHL team. Both being Jack's good friends I definitely could see him following in their footsteps and controlling where he goes.
Wrong. The Bone will be here soon. He signs before the 2020 draft.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If Rathbone and his agent are serious about a pro hockey career, then signing an ELC with the Canucks is the only option.

Missing an entire year of hockey, if the NCAA shelves it's sports programs for at least a year, is the worst possible outcome. You can practice all you want, but without competition it's basically a lost year of development.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
I think it's a more concerning point with Rathbone considering the last two Havard Dmen to graduate that program decided not to sign with their NHL team. Both being Jack's good friends I definitely could see him following in their footsteps and controlling where he goes.

I don’t know how much weight can be put on that considering the Canucks drafted him and have been supportive of him staying home an extra year to help with his brother. I think that is more likely to mean something than what two friends did.

There always seems to be some reason to fret over a pick not signing that never seems to matter in the end. One of these days a college pick might not sign with Vancouver, but as the vast majority of college players sign with their draft team, until that day there is no point worrying over it unduly.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
It has been reported that Harvard is returning that $9 mil. I believe it had been earmarked for their medical research, but they will return it.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Me as well. But if they both say that they'll only sign if promised plenty of NHL time, is there room for both?
I’d be (pleasantly) surprised if Rathbone was NHL-ready. From what I’ve read his defensive game still needs work and it’s not like he’s an elite offensive talent like Hughes.

I don’t think Benning/Green can afford to play a kid who may not be ready since next year is basically playoffs or bust for both of them potentially. I’m sure Benning can promise Jack that he’ll get a legit shot at making the big club if he proves himself in camp but that’s about it.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Rathbone is a perfect candidate for Utica and he would likely welcome that with open arms as he still needs to develop and he can remain close to his family.

Tryamkin is absolute unit of a player, he's not a player you trade unless he doesn't want to sign here.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Complete toss up of if he signs.
I mean he comes from Money.
His dad runs the entire NorthEast division of MassMutual which is like a 40 billion insurance company.
His dad was drafted by the islanders back in the 80's so he understands the hockey process, but his dad also spent all 4 years at Boston College.

who knows what kind of advice he is getting.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Unless there some new dramatic breakthroughs in the this Pandemic, then NCAA sports are long-shot at best for next season.

So the choice is practicing and playing pickup games for a year, or signing a pro contract and playing in Utica to start. Even if the money doesn't enter into it (and it won't because in the AHL he only maxes out at the ELC minimum of $70,000 a season), the loss of an entire year of development would definitely put him behind.

Seems like a 'no brainer' to me.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Present

Tanev Edler
Meyers Hughes
Stecher Benn / Fantenberg

to be signed

Tryamkin and Rathbone

Also in the system

Woo, Juolevi Rafferty, Brisboise Sautner ... etc.

Yeah that last bunch may all be a little raw, but they are all borderline NHLers.

I hear incredible things about Rathbone, and I think Tryamkin is going to be a stud for years. Met Benn this year (he signed and gave me his jersey) and hope he is back, but we have no worries on D if we have Edler or Tanev, Myers and hughes, Tryamkin signs , Benn as a 6 / 7n D man, and a mix of Stecher Fantenberg Woo Juolevi Rafferty Rathbone Brisboise and Sautner filling in the gaps.

Nov 1, 2011
Present

Tanev Edler
Meyers Hughes
Stecher Benn / Fantenberg

to be signed

Tryamkin and Rathbone

Also in the system

Woo, Juolevi Rafferty, Brisboise Sautner ... etc.

Yeah that last bunch may all be a little raw, but they are all borderline NHLers.

I hear incredible things about Rathbone, and I think Tryamkin is going to be a stud for years. Met Benn this year (he signed and gave me his jersey) and hope he is back, but we have no worries on D if we have Edler or Tanev, Myers and hughes, Tryamkin signs , Benn as a 6 / 7n D man, and a mix of Stecher Fantenberg Woo Juolevi Rafferty Rathbone Brisboise and Sautner filling in the gaps.

One of Big Buff or Pietrangelo this year (replacing Edler) would make all the difference.

jonnygf40

Oct 23, 2009
One of Big Buff or Pietrangelo this year (replacing Edler) would make all the difference.
Oh man, a pairing of Hughes and Pietrangelo is an organization changer. Too bad it won't ever happen. We're at the cap as it is, needless to say we don't have $10million to throw at AP.

Reactions: Nucks2477

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Hughes is our #1 all star defenceman, you can generally only afford one of these defenceman in a cap restricted league.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Hughes is our #1 all star defenceman, you can generally only afford one of these defenceman in a cap restricted league.

Yeah if we were to sign Pietro, we'd likely need to let go of at least one of Pettersson/Hughes/Boeser/Horvat/Miller/Markstrom within the next year or two just due to limited cap space.

Nov 1, 2011
Yeah if we were to sign Pietro, we'd likely need to let go of at least one of Pettersson/Hughes/Boeser/Horvat/Miller/Markstrom within the next year or two just due to limited cap space.

Nothing wrong with having two franchise defenseman.

Not all championship teams are built the same way.

Better take the best UFAs we can now while our your guys are on ELCs.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Nothing wrong with having two franchise defenseman.

Not all championship teams are built the same way.

Better take the best UFAs we can now while our your guys are on ELCs.

We don’t have the cap space though... As it stands right now, it will be extremely difficult to re-sign Tanev, Markstrom, and Toffoli and still have a snow balls chance of signing Hughes and Pettersson next offseason. Add Pietrangelo? We’d need to jettison Eriksson this offseason and let Edler walk the following to even consider it. And even still, I think you’d have to sign on of Pettersson or Hughes to a bridge deal to save some space.

Nov 1, 2011
We don’t have the cap space though... As it stands right now, it will be extremely difficult to re-sign Tanev, Markstrom, and Toffoli and still have a snow balls chance of signing Hughes and Pettersson next offseason. Add Pietrangelo? We’d need to jettison Eriksson this offseason and let Edler walk the following to even consider it. And even still, I think you’d have to sign on of Pettersson or Hughes to a bridge deal to save some space.

See, you figured out how to do it without too much trouble.

Reactions: Nucks2477

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
See, you figured out how to do it without too much trouble.

Haha well sure... Getting rid of Eriksson will probably cost a 1st, which if Pietrangelo were on the table for free, I would happily pay. I suppose my point is, our existing team is going to be such a struggle to keep together as is... We can improve defence at the cost of offence I suppose.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Pietrangelo would be insane in theory if our cap wasn't so f***ed

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Oh man, a pairing of Hughes and Pietrangelo is an organization changer. Too bad it won't ever happen. We're at the cap as it is, needless to say we don't have $10million to throw at AP.
If the Canucks were minus the contract for Eriksson, and either one of the contracts for Roussel or Beagle, they could easily afford to sign Pietrangelo. How depressing is that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad