Prospect Info: 95th overall (2017): Vancouver selects D Jack Rathbone | Will he sign?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
On a more serious note, a friend who watched Jack play on the weekend (he was watching his kid and sent me a note) said that Rathbone is the real deal, was very impressed by his play. He's a pretty good player himself, and his other son is in the NHL so i trust his evaluation.

We are going to have a problem in March/April. What if Rathbone wants to sign, Woo wants to sign, Tryamkin wants to sign and Juolevi steps it up a notch? We have no cap space, and how the hell do we fit 4 prospects (?or whatever name you want to use) into the budget and into the existing roster. I know its a pipe dream, but

Edler, Stecher, Myers, Hughes, Tanev, Benn, Fantenburg, with Sautner and Brisebois in the wings and add in these 4. No money to pay them, and insane riches for the D line. Myers is playing better than I expected, Hughes is looking like the real deal. Tanev is still steady and I think that Edler might even make the HOF same day.

Rathbone is going to be an NHL player. I hope it is with the Canucks.

Reactions: CanuckCity

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
On a more serious note, a friend who watched Jack play on the weekend (he was watching his kid and sent me a note) said that Rathbone is the real deal, was very impressed by his play. He's a pretty good player himself, and his other son is in the NHL so i trust his evaluation.

We are going to have a problem in March/April. What if Rathbone wants to sign, Woo wants to sign, Tryamkin wants to sign and Juolevi steps it up a notch? We have no cap space, and how the hell do we fit 4 prospects (?or whatever name you want to use) into the budget and into the existing roster. I know its a pipe dream, but

Edler, Stecher, Myers, Hughes, Tanev, Benn, Fantenburg, with Sautner and Brisebois in the wings and add in these 4. No money to pay them, and insane riches for the D line. Myers is playing better than I expected, Hughes is looking like the real deal. Tanev is still steady and I think that Edler might even make the HOF same day.

From your list Woo and Rathbone would almost certainly start the year in Utica if Rathbone signed. Tryamkin may or may not come over, so I don't think they can plan to have him back, and Juolevi is a giant question mark as well, but for other reasons. I hope that Sautner or Breisbois get a shot at being the 7th or 8th D-man next year, I think they should be able to handle that, and frankly, I think they are reaching the point where they need to play in the NHL to make better than marginal improvements in their game.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
From your list Woo and Rathbone would almost certainly start the year in Utica if Rathbone signed. Tryamkin may or may not come over, so I don't think they can plan to have him back, and Juolevi is a giant question mark as well, but for other reasons. I hope that Sautner or Breisbois get a shot at being the 7th or 8th D-man next year, I think they should be able to handle that, and frankly, I think they are reaching the point where they need to play in the NHL to make better than marginal improvements in their game.

Agree with this.Woo and Rathbone will need time in AHL to acclimatize to pro hockey so no need to make space for them this season.
Juolevi is more likely to be playing out his next contract in Europe along with Tryamkin but if the big Russian does come over then we could probably trade Stetcher for some forward help and put him on the bottom pairing with Benn to take some of the hard minutes away from Edler and Tanev.

Reactions: CanuckCity

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

Woo is already signed, and his contract would slide 'til next season. And in the unlikely event Tryamkin signs, it wouldn't be until March, so most of his contract would slide to next season as well. And Rathbone would sign the standard ELC and even if he plays five games or so like Hughes or Gaudette, he still wouldn't cost a lot for the last month of the season.

So all these guys could possibly play a few games in March with not much impact on the Canucks salary cap room. As for next season, Benning has to move some contracts out somehow....Erikisson? Schaller, who's a UFA; or Tanev who's a UFA.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Woo is already signed, and his contract would slide 'til next season. And in the unlikely event Tryamkin signs, it wouldn't be until March, so most of his contract would slide to next season as well. And Rathbone would sign the standard ELC and even if he plays five games or so like Hughes or Gaudette, he still wouldn't cost a lot for the last month of the season.

So all these guys could possibly play a few games in March with not much impact on the Canucks salary cap room. As for next season, Benning has to move some contracts out somehow....Erikisson? Schaller, who's a UFA; or Tanev who's a UFA.

I wasn't suggesting that the cap hell is this season, though bonuses might be an issue. And you don't need to move out UFA's just don't sign them. No, we are going to have cap issues next year. and the year after. And after that we need to sign Pettersson and Hughes.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Players making under $1.075M don't have an affect on the cap when they are playing in Utica. It's clear that if Tryamkin is brought back someone else is moving out. If Tanev isn't re-signed it's probably Stecher who is gone. I think on D, Tanev is the biggest decision, if you're re-signing him you don't have to fill the roster with another player making as much as Tanev did.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Missed his second game in a row tonight, something aint right here

Reactions: lindgren

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
In: Tryamkin, Rafferty
Out: Stecher, Fantenberg
The rest of the defense stays the same, Tanev likely gets re-signed.
Chatfield and Sautner not qualified.
Brisebois gets qualified, hits the waiver wire next pre-season but doesn't get claimed.
Woo and Juolevi are AHL bound. Rathbone too if he signs.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Sautner will be a Group 6 UFA after this season (<80 NHL games, age 25+, 3+ professional seasons), free to sign anywhere on July 1. Qualifying offer does not apply to him.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Sautner will be a Group 6 UFA after this season (<80 NHL games, age 25+, 3+ professional seasons), free to sign anywhere on July 1. Qualifying offer does not apply to him.
There's gonna be some unhappy campers on the Utica thread if Sautner and Chatty aren't re signed.

I think Chatfield definitely gets another contract and probably Sautner too fwiw.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
There's gonna be some unhappy campers on the Utica thread if Sautner and Chatty aren't re signed.

I think Chatfield definitely gets another contract and probably Sautner too fwiw.
They should both look to see if their chances of making an NHL roster are better with another organization. Sautner probably is a guy who at this point is eyeing the #7 spot in the Canucks roster replacing Fantenberg. Chatfield, don’t think he’s at that point yet.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
I would be shocked if we ever sign this prospect. He has always wanted to be in Boston and Boston only. Look where he’s from, every team he’s ever played for, and how important it was for him to be close to his brother.

He’ll be a Bruin imo.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
I would be shocked if we ever sign this prospect. He has always wanted to be in Boston and Boston only. Look where he’s from, every team he’s ever played for, and how important it was for him to be close to his brother.

He’ll be a Bruin imo.
Then they should trade him ASAP

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014

He’ll be a Bruin imo.
There definitely appear to more obstacles to this team signing him there are with most college prospects. I'm hopeful, and I think it's likely he'll sign here, but considering his desire to be close to his family and interest in finishing school, there's a real possibility he doesn't.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Just like Gaudette
Oh wait

I get what you’re saying and there are certainly similarities between the two but Rathbone has already made a career move in the past to be closer to his brother which was very admirable. I don’t recall Gaudette having a familial reason to not want to live out west other than just the distance.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I'd be surprised if he doesn’t sign here to be honest. There is a real opportunity to grab a spot in Vancouver that he won’t get in a lot of other spots like Boston. It’s pretty rare that players don’t sign with the same organization that drafted them unless there are some special circumstances like they don’t see an opportunity or don’t think they’ve been treated fairly.

Reactions: lawrence

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canuck fans seem to get the worry beads out with every U.S. college player drafted....Maybe it's the R.J. Umberger hangover.

But I believe Jack Rathbone has attended every Canucks prospect development camp since he was drafted; apparently he's developed some chemistry and personal connection with Quinn Hughes; and his childhood friend, Aiden McDonough was drafted by the Canucks last season.

And listening to interviews with players like Gaudette and Lockwood, as well as other players drafted out of the USHL, there seems to be a real loyalty to the Canucks. They all say the same thing--that the Canucks believed in them enough to draft them; and have stayed in direct contact during their development years in college.

So for all these reasons, I'd be shocked if Rathbone doesn't end up signing in VanCity whenever he decides to leave Harvard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad